Hifiman Edition X
Jun 8, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #3,514 of 4,030
based on your posts you won't like the 800/800s series. you might not realize it with a 1 hour demo but you won't want them as your main headphones after a week. the main users are classical listeners. for more aggressive style music it sounds thin and hollow, but with great detail and soundstage.

make sure you're getting a proper demo of the headphones at the store so you can figure out what the real differences are. i'm surprised you don't like the clears but I suspect that you're not impressed with any of the headphones you're demo'ing because they're all different flavors on the same general level. you'd be sidegrading even if you might like something like lcd-x better than the hex.

you might really like utopias which are like low $2k for a used pair. try and demo those if you can. they have massive punch and clarity and sound better than pretty much any near totl headphones out of all sorts of random equipment since they're easy to drive.

hex and hek are known for their soft sound. hek is on another level than hex but you need better equipment to get the best sound out of them. main difference is hex are warmer and bassier but hek is an upgrade in every single other category.

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #3,515 of 4,030
The sound of the LCD-X is definitely different from that of the HEXv2, the Clear is very different. A sidegrade isn't necessarily a bad thing if the different sound is significantly more to your liking. I tried the Utopia at the store and they sounded like a Focal headphone to me, strong and sharp, albeit crisper. Not much of a soundstage even on them. I'm fairly comfortable dismissing them. I'll be buying and returning the HD800S in order to try it, which is ultimately what I'm doing with the LCD-X as well as the demo wasn't sufficient. While I've read that the 800S is particularly suitable for classical music it's both very popular and among people who have it you find different genres mentioned, even electronic and pop. Not sure I've seen praise for rock and think I've seen criticism, but I'll find out. Will have a Schiit Loki for a bump. If it has more impact than the HEXv2 and is indeed the king of soundstage and imaging, given its popularity and the praise it receives along with recommendations toward me, then it may well be the best headphone for me. Clearly I'm dissatisfied. Aggressive style music has a paradox to it apparently as you'd figure Focal headphones I'd find ideal but I find them to be the worst, making more aggressive type music sound unlistenable to me as I can't turn up the volume and a mild to moderate level doesn't evoke much in me. Impact is key, which is why I asked Hifiearspeakers to confirm that dynamic is synonymous with more impact. I need the impact of the Aeon Flow Open, which is quite higher than that of the HEXv2 yet lower than that of the Clear, with the resolution, mids, and soundstage of a higher class headphone. Incredibly many higher class headphones are challenged in soundstage, which is where the 800S along with the 800 reign supreme. If the other qualities are there as well it's worth trying this most popular and widely praised headphone, especially with recommendations. If the HEKv2 is just as soft as the HEXv2 and has less bass why should I bother with it?

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #3,517 of 4,030
I don't think planar vs dynamic has that much to do with it. The Focals are dynamic driver headphones, and they have too much of it. The HEXv2 is planar and has too little. I also find impact to be a general quality, not merely bass related.

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #3,518 of 4,030
I thought dynamic was punchy and impact also but then I heard someone say dynamic is the range, like how far you can hear the treble and bass, dynamic range. Maybe the word is that one Tyll uses, dynamism, I dunno.

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #3,519 of 4,030
We really need a forum-wide stickied thread that accurately defines terms, especially common/fundamental ones. Basically, I'm trying to refer to strength of sound. What do you mean how far you can hear the treble and bass? Like frequency-wise or soundstage depth or something?

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #3,520 of 4,030
@rutter, perhaps you've already start convincing yourself there's no "all in one" headphone valid for most of the music you hear... I think it would be a good idea to complement one headphone with another that gives you the "other half" the first one in your list doesn't give you.
I reckon' it's much more expensive but oneselt's tranquility has its own price too. Do have a look at my signature and you'll see I have several headphones that I use depending on the mood I'm in or the music I want to listen to. I haven't' bought them either all in a weekend, but have taken their good time to arrive home. I was listening the other night the latest album from Sting (http://www.sting.com/discography/album/418/Albums) with my XLRd HD800S and I was amazed of the sound they were coming out with.

Just my humble opinion...

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #3,521 of 4,030
I don't have the luxury to keep two. If I end up doing that it would be even more irresponsible, but who knows, unfortunately it's a possibility but I'm inclined to think I'll pick one as my tastes are too mixed (meaning I'd have to constantly switch) and I don't have a two-headphone amp. At this point I'm down to the LCD-X and the HD800S. I might as well return the HEXv2 again as the Ananda is $200 cheaper anyway, though enough is enough. A properly functioning Loki, which I should get soon, might affect that but I don't think I'll be fully satisfied with the HEX anyway. Interestingly, an industry person claims that the driver of the Ananda is not identical to that of the HEXv2, it's newer, so maybe the Ananda will bring some changes. So far no impressions though. There's an Ananda thread in another section.

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #3,522 of 4,030
Is that return number 2 or 3 of the he x?

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #3,525 of 4,030
@rutter
dynamism is how much the highs and lows can go, not necessarily impactful that's depends on the quantity.

have you tried a good closed cans like the either flow c it can give you what you are looking for with a bit of sacrifice of SS.

Or beyerdynamic headphones like the amiron home, it has a shallow v shape signature that you may like. or the T1.

edit: typo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back