Hifiman Edition X
May 24, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #3,407 of 4,030
He thinks there's some more impact there too, making them a safer buy. Seems like I made a good decision. Curious to see what the Black Dragon cable does.
Maybe check out the norne audio draug cables too (or solvine). Theres a thread here

May 24, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #3,409 of 4,030
Trevor is a great guy and he can help you with selecting a cable. I recommend emailing him. Just bought my HEX v2 and will eventually get a cable from Norne.

May 24, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #3,410 of 4,030
I looked it up but I don't see a description of what it should be doing. Are cables even returnable?
i believe it's 30 days - but he's not amazon so use your discretion

he looks after customers so best not to abuse the service

May 24, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #3,412 of 4,030
May 24, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #3,413 of 4,030
The pairing did nothing for me over the Nano Black Label. I found the bass boost too artificial to use constantly. I discovered that a $200 Schiit stack gave me fuller sound so I quickly returned the Micro.
I was looking for a transportable dac/amp for them with a bass boost for gaming/movies, i will pick the Nano if it has one :frowning2:
The Schiit is very good but it's stationary device.

Any better transportable/portable dac/amp with bass boost is welcome (budget about 600$)

May 26, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #3,417 of 4,030
I might. I was wondering whether people had thoughts on whether something like this degrades sound in general, or whether it's a straightforward matter of targeted adjustments. I was told by someone very skeptical of headphone cables that the cables that actually do make a difference are the DAC and amp cables. So should I buy the pricier cables that Schiit sell or do I stick with the extremely inexpensive cables from Monoprice?

I have also looked at balanced DACs/amps and if you're to take the warned 2W upper limit seriously it's no wonder that Hifiman don't provide a balanced cable for the HEX. Even a relatively tame amp of 1W unbalanced provides four times as much balanced (Questyle CMA400i). The Schiit Jotunheim costs half as much at $400, which is quite inviting, but is in the neighborhood of 6W balanced, the figure Fang found ridiculous for the HEX. This makes me wonder how people run the HEX balanced at all.

May 26, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #3,418 of 4,030
I seen people use the Jotunheim in balanced with these and pretty sure Currawong's amps he listened to on his review are higher powered. So I don't think you have to worry all that much about those wattage numbers as long as you don't push the volume. I just got an Edition X v2 from a head-fier last week and it came with a balance cable. Not sure if they're supposed to come with one? But it's the same type of cable. HEK maybe? I don't have a balance amp but plan to get the Liquid Platinum once it comes out and try balance on it.

Loving these cans so far. Just signed up for Tidal Premium and having a blast going through and listening to all sorts of songs on there. Balanced and natural sounding to me. Sometimes vocals seem a little far but that's probably the recording and me getting used to it. The stage is perfect to me, not too wide and not too close. Great all arounder which I thought the Focal Elex would be but I didn't really like the Elex. Too punchy and energetic gets fatiguing fast.

I remember reading here someone was using the HEX with the RME ADI-2 dac/amp which has a digital EQ built in. I wonder if he ever messed around with it. I'm thinking of getting the RME ADI-2 DAC but will probably wait to see that Massdrop DAC which Will has said they're gonna reveal in a few weeks. Probably won't come out til December though, or next year lol.

May 26, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #3,419 of 4,030
What exactly is pushing the volume?

By the way, this guy on Head-Fi tv does a pretty good job of selling that Schiit Loki equalizer:

Still not sure what to think based on some criticisms but might try it.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #3,420 of 4,030
Have the HEXv2 again. Modi Multibit -> Magni 3 (low gain) -> Black Dragon v2 cable and right out of the box I think the HEXv2 sounds good. There's impact, there's bass. I need to sit down and listen pretty critically but I did briefly try the stock cable and I think the Black Dragon makes the difference I was looking for, at least in that direction. Not sold on it despite having had it for a couple of days but I think it's making some difference. Very early impression so don't know yet if I'm satisfied. The Loki will be the next step.

On another note I'm disappointed by the state in which the free hi-res player and iems arrived from Hifiman. The player has physical marks and the actual packages (not the shipping boxes) look like they came from a cocaine factory. Plugged the player into my computer and was told there were errors with the drive. Can't get it to play at the moment but I'm hoping that's due to it needing to be charged. Also found out that the player might be incompatible with much of my library but that's on me. Can't get any of the ear stuff to fit the iems and the default things were uncovered. Don't want to venture a guess if the iems are second hand. This is free stuff, I know, but my impression/expression is :/ at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back