Hifiman Edition X
Aug 3, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #2,795 of 4,030
Have anyone tried HEX V2 with iFi iCan Pro? Is that a good combo?

Since it looks like you already own both, what are your thoughts? I would think they would be a great combo together. Hopefully someone else can chime in with experience.

Aug 3, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,796 of 4,030
Since it looks like you already own both, what are your thoughts? I would think they would be a great combo together. Hopefully someone else can chime in with experience.
I think it is pretty good. I prefer HEX V2 paired with a slightly warmer amp.

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #2,797 of 4,030
I own the V2 and paired with an idac and a iusb power they make a great, great combo imho. The V2 don't need that much juice to get the 100% from them.

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #2,799 of 4,030
Got them Thursday, they are incredible. However they have shown my laptop up to be an incredibly poor source and that even my phone is better.
going to research some portable amp/dacs for awhile, my uncle has a mojo so thats first on the list .

Watch out your V2s, if your uncle finds out how nice they can sound, you can find yourself going back home with no mojo and no HEXs... :D

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #2,800 of 4,030
So after having a balanced cable + the edition x v2 on around 60 hours, I gotta tell you how much I love them.

But as I write this post my right driver just went out ... just like that, while listening to music.
At first I thought I pressed a wrong button in Windows or something. But after cross checking with other headphones and switchen the cable I am sure that my right driver just died!!!!!
I can still hear a whisper of a sound from it when I crank up the volume to MAXIMUM levels.

DId this happen to anyone else?
I think this is a warranty case ... I am a little mad right now as these are fu**ing 1.400 EURO headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #2,802 of 4,030
just sold both my senn hd 650 and sony z1r (didn't feel comfortable spending 2k on cans)

i'm considering the hifunab edition x as my first set of planars
(also considering the beyerdynamic dt1990 or even the cheaper more laid back amiron...or AQ nightowls...anyone on here compared these 4 sets of cans?).
...i do have a chord mojo and mapletree ear + hd tube amp to drive the edition x, if i buy them.

eventually i'm trying to find a set of cans that isn't fussy with what it's paired with,
sounds great across most genres, and is detailed balanced, has good soundstage and fab, tight bass slam (quality bass over quantity, that is)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #2,803 of 4,030
just sold both my senn hd 650 and sony z1r (didn't feel comfortable spending 2k on cans)

i'm considering the hifunab edition x as my first set of planars
(also considering the beyerdynamic dt1990 or even the cheaper more laid back amiron...or AQ nightowls...anyone on here compared these 4 sets of cans?).
...i do have a chord mojo and mapletree ear + hd tube amp to drive the edition x, if i buy them.

eventually i'm trying to find a set of cans that isn't fussy with what it's paired with,
sounds great across most genres, and is detailed balanced, has good soundstage and fab, tight bass slam (quality bass over quantity, that is)

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the HE-X V2. I have an extensive collection of headphones, and the HE-X are my favorite of them all. Large sound stage, clear throughout the range of hearing, with tight bass. They aren't bass monster headphones, but if the song calls for it, the HE-X can play with authority. They do scale well with better equipment, but they sound good out of most sources, including phones. They're pretty efficient, which is really nice. Planar sound is special, especially in the higher end. They do a lot right, and I have little to complain about concerning the HE-X.

I first heard them at a meet, and literally bought a pair used the next day. I loved their sound, and had to have them. Hopefully they impress you as much as they did me. I prefer their sound over the much loved HE1000. The HE-K is too revealing, which made some classic rock and other poorly recorded music unlistenable. The HE-X is more forgiving, while still having tons of detail.

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #2,804 of 4,030
+1 I love the tonality of the HEX great all rounder easily driven. I love their bass while not at Z1r level they are close in my opinion. I love their fullnes with good detail but not tiring. In comparison I found the Aeons lacking the fullness of the HEX. Another option to consider is the Focal Elear. The Aeons are nice if like more of a "neutral" signature.

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #2,805 of 4,030
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back