Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
May 19, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #76 of 485
  Ok. Burn in has smoothed out the treble a lot. 

Found out that the Sine has rolled off bass and boosted treble. The Edition S has even MORE rolled off bass and MORE boosted treble than the Sine. 

Bass is light, but it's there and there's also more bass than a lot of my high end headphones

Edition S has a bit more clarity in the treble than Sine. Edition S clarity crushes the Sony MDR 100aap, Momentum 2.0, JVC SZ2000, and even beats out my Sennheiser HD 650 for clarity, which I wasn't expecting. With the covers off the soundstage is also equal to the HD650's. Sound quality also running neck-and-neck with my Alpha Dogs........which is also double the price of the Edition S. 

I'd say in that price range (under $300) it wipes the floor with everything else I've heard so far. 

Thanks for the update, these are sounding so enticing to buy!

I may actually end up getting these.

May 22, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #77 of 485

So I'm listening to some old Steely Dan when suddenly the left cup feels really loose, I take them off and it appears the swivel post broke, so durability could be an issue? Damn.

May 22, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #79 of 485
So I'm listening to some old Steely Dan when suddenly the left cup feels really loose, I take them off and it appears the swivel post broke, so durability could be an issue? Damn.

Oh man that's a real problem considering that these are portable headphones and are folded up a lot if used as such... Have you called Hifiman?

May 22, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #80 of 485
  Oh man that's a real problem considering that these are portable headphones and are folded up a lot if used as such... Have you called Hifiman?

I bought them off Amazon so I'm thinking of just returning them and buying a new pair BUT I'm thinking I should call Hifiman and talk to someone to at least let them know this is a possible issue.

May 23, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #81 of 485
So. I just contacted Amazon and long story short they're giving me a refund, but letting me keep the broken headphones. If anyone wants a broken pair of these and knows how to fix them I'll send them to you no charge, just postage, after you receive them if you don't want to trust a stranger. I'm buying a new pair now.

Just seems like a waste to throw them away.

May 23, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #82 of 485
  So. I just contacted Amazon and long story short they're giving me a refund, but letting me keep the broken headphones. If anyone wants a broken pair of these and knows how to fix them I'll send them to you no charge, just postage, after you receive them if you don't want to trust a stranger. I'm buying a new pair now.

I don't know how to fix them, but I would love to give them a listen (and pass them on to someone else who wants a listen), if no one else can fix them anyway. Either way, it's a really nice thing to do.

Keeping an eye on this thread since I want to get a new pair of versatile cans, these seem to be up to the job.

May 23, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #83 of 485
  I don't know how to fix them, but I would love to give them a listen (and pass them on to someone else who wants a listen), if no one else can fix them anyway. Either way, it's a really nice thing to do.

Keeping an eye on this thread since I want to get a new pair of versatile cans, these seem to be up to the job.

Maybe we can do a demo situation where someone keeps them for two weeks, then sends them to the next guy? Hmmmmm, maybe give the guy that fixes them a month?

May 23, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #84 of 485
Edit: Accidentally duplicated a comment, can I delete this somehow?

May 23, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #85 of 485

From the few images available, it just seems like the ear cup is connected via a small rod (what you see in the broken in the photo) to another silver rod inside the black housing labeled with the side (L, R). If it is just that simple, and if it's glossed plastic and not metal, would a little super glue just do the trick? That is, if the super glue doesn't spread to other places on accident and keep the internal rod stiff.

Kind of disappoints me the amount of glossed plastic and thin construction there is on this $250 headphone. May not be close to top of the line, but portable headphones definitely need durability, even at the slight cost of weight.

May 28, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #86 of 485
I ordered a pair of these yesterday and they arrived at my house today. My initial impressions are that these things are CLEAR. I listened to one track, and was immediately impressed by how they sound. Certain things are brought forward by these headphones that I missed or were meshed into other sounds by the HE-400 (original). Bass is present, but is punchy and not boomy. For me, it's close to perfect. It's balanced, rather than the approach some headphones go for, which is either anemic or boomy, muddy bass. The HE-400 has more bass, but it's a different variety. Not to say that either is more accurate, but the Edition S goes for clarity, and the HE-400 goes for enjoyability (casual at-home listening).

I enjoy clarity and punchiness, so these are perfect for me. At the moment I only have two other portable headphones to compare to, and both are on-ears. I have the Audio Technica ATH-ES55 and the original Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears. The Audio Technicas, although good, can't compete with either. They sound anemic and lack presence. The Momentums focus on bass. But it's a boomier type. Not Beats style, but more similar to that than it is to the Edition S. The soundstage on the Momentums is almost non-existent, but they do sound good. The Edition S beats it everywhere quite handily. Although it seems unfair to compare the two, the Momentum On-Ears used to retail in the UK for around £170, and the Edition S retails for £190, so it's not as big a gap as it may seem. 

I'd be interested in comparing these to something like the NAD HP50, Oppo PM3 etc, but frankly, I'm really happy with the sound quality. 

The materials used actually feel surprisingly good. Not as good as my HE-400, but still good. They feel hefty enough, and the clamping force is quite high. All the materials used are matte, which I prefer to glossy.

Once I've had some time with them I'll give a better review.

May 28, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #87 of 485
  I ordered a pair of these yesterday and they arrived at my house today. My initial impressions are that these things are CLEAR. I listened to one track, and was immediately impressed by how they sound. Certain things are brought forward by these headphones that I missed or were meshed into other sounds by the HE-400 (original). Bass is present, but is punchy and not boomy. For me, it's close to perfect. It's balanced, rather than the approach some headphones go for, which is either anemic or boomy, muddy bass. The HE-400 has more bass, but it's a different variety. Not to say that either is more accurate, but the Edition S goes for clarity, and the HE-400 goes for enjoyability (casual at-home listening).

I enjoy clarity and punchiness, so these are perfect for me. At the moment I only have two other portable headphones to compare to, and both are on-ears. I have the Audio Technica ATH-ES55 and the original Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears. The Audio Technicas, although good, can't compete with either. They sound anemic and lack presence. The Momentums focus on bass. But it's a boomier type. Not Beats style, but more similar to that than it is to the Edition S. The soundstage on the Momentums is almost non-existent, but they do sound good. The Edition S beats it everywhere quite handily. Although it seems unfair to compare the two, the Momentum On-Ears used to retail in the UK for around £170, and the Edition S retails for £190, so it's not as big a gap as it may seem. 

I'd be interested in comparing these to something like the NAD HP50, Oppo PM3 etc, but frankly, I'm really happy with the sound quality. 

The materials used actually feel surprisingly good. Not as good as my HE-400, but still good. They feel hefty enough, and the clamping force is quite high. All the materials used are matte, which I prefer to glossy.

Once I've had some time with them I'll give a better review.

They sound even better after burn in..........you're in for a treat when you get 100+ hours on them, and completely agree with how clear they are, I think they have more clarity than the Audeze Sine, which I also own-the Sine is also almost double the price. 

May 30, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #88 of 485
I'm in the market for a new portable headphone that I can use with my phone and also my computer. I was considering the ATH MSR-7 but I came a cross these.
Could anybody say what the differences are between the new Hifiman and the MSR 7's?

and also, looking for phones between the £100-150 ish range. Thanks

May 30, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #89 of 485
  I'm in the market for a new portable headphone that I can use with my phone and also my computer. I was considering the ATH MSR-7 but I came a cross these.
Could anybody say what the differences are between the new Hifiman and the MSR 7's?

and also, looking for phones between the £100-150 ish range. Thanks

I got mine off Amazon for £159 but the price has already gone up to £189. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back