Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Jul 15, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #166 of 485
  Oh I didn't mean you couldn't the difference between the two modes in a blind test, I meant in a blind test they would sound anything except congested.

Oh well yeah, definitely :)  The "closed" mode still has very good soundstage and sounds quite open, really.

Jul 16, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #167 of 485
  That's the whole point of what those are, they're for swittching between closed (really semi-open) mode, and fully open.  Of course the semi-open mode sounds more congested than the open mode, that's to be 100% expected.

No they maybe increase the isolation by another decibel or two, maybe three at best, but they do decrease the sound leakage to outside by a lot. I had my roommate help me test that last night.

But anyway it's not like the panels are anything to criticize, haha, since they're made to be removable anyway :p

That's great news!  I was with the mistaken notion that sound leakage to outside was still high, making them less attractive to me as closed headphones.  

Obviously, I'd be using them open when possible, since open headphones just sound better to me all things being equal, but it's good to know that I can close them up when the environment calls for it.

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #168 of 485
  That's great news!  I was with the mistaken notion that sound leakage to outside was still high, making them less attractive to me as closed headphones.  

Obviously, I'd be using them open when possible, since open headphones just sound better to me all things being equal, but it's good to know that I can close them up when the environment calls for it.

That's least 3 of us in this thread now that thought the leakage was bad at 1st only to find upon further review/testing that the leakage was not a problem at all in most travel situations. 

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #169 of 485

Exactly!  Just don't expect good isolation in "closed" mode
rolleyes.gif

That's the thing.  For me at least, they don't do as well in noisy environments, even being too close to a running window AC unit (on medium setting or above) is enough noise to interfere with some details of the music at the volumes I listen at (I don't listen at very high volumes).  So they're basically a pair of semi-open (but mostly truly open and the soundstage sounds like it) headphones that cut off some sound from outside (more than a lot of truly 100% open models) and can have sound-leakage signifcantly cut-down via the plates, which does cut off maybe 1 or 2dB more sound and restricts the soundstage and airiness a tad.

Edit:  But the important thing is, they sound positively divine for $250
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #171 of 485
Jul 18, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #173 of 485

It's a new DAP by Hifiman. See here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/776047/new-daps-from-hifiman-hm802s-and-supermini-updated-2015-12-12/15#post_12155712

Hmmmm, interesting.  I'm sure it should go great with any source.  If it's a player from HiFiMan it should be reasonably good to high-end in its sound.  And in terms of power the Edition S can be driven from anything, even a smartphone--they are very sensitive.

The Edition S sound AWESOME with my Questyle QP1R :)

Jul 18, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #174 of 485
I heard that Hifiman DAP at Axpona, it was super sweet and I also heard Edition S on it-that pairing convinced me to buy the Edition S. 

Sound quality I didn't listen to it that long, but I'd place it slightly ahead of Fiio X7 but slightly behind QP1R.

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #175 of 485
Managed to try auditioning this headphones. Was in the market for an upgrade from my T51P. The headphone was totally an upgrade. Everything was better, but the one thing I had a problem with was the harsh highs. On first listen, it was as if I thought I heard a defective unit. But I kept on listening hoping my brain would be used to it. Took a while, but the harshness was still there.

The closed-opened magnet mechanism was neat and stronger than I thought it would be. Pretty sure it won't fall off on its own while on the move UNLESS you brush the sides of the headphones. Couldn't differentiate between open and close because it was kinda noisy, but one thing's for sure, it was like a semi-close/open instead of fully closed. Most probably due to the plate being able to move around a bit and not locked in perfectly, so air still manages to get in/out.

Anyway, anyone tried any mod for it yet? Like putting felt in front of the driver to decrease the highs or tried taping the back plate so as to minimise the "openness" of the headphone?

Gonna need to know more what you can do to this headphone before I sell off my T51P.

Jul 23, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #176 of 485
Managed to try auditioning this headphones. Was in the market for an upgrade from my T51P. The headphone was totally an upgrade. Everything was better, but the one thing I had a problem with was the harsh highs. On first listen, it was as if I thought I heard a defective unit. But I kept on listening hoping my brain would be used to it. Took a while, but the harshness was still there.

The closed-opened magnet mechanism was neat and stronger than I thought it would be. Pretty sure it won't fall off on its own while on the move UNLESS you brush the sides of the headphones. Couldn't differentiate between open and close because it was kinda noisy, but one thing's for sure, it was like a semi-close/open instead of fully closed. Most probably due to the plate being able to move around a bit and not locked in perfectly, so air still manages to get in/out.

Anyway, anyone tried any mod for it yet? Like putting felt in front of the driver to decrease the highs or tried taping the back plate so as to minimise the "openness" of the headphone?

Gonna need to know more what you can do to this headphone before I sell off my T51P.

First question is, what are you playing it through. That could be part of the problem with the highs. Yes the Editions is tuned a little bright, but depending on what I'm playing it from determines how bad the effect is. Secondly. Lowering the high frequencies a bit in the Eq of your music player will tone down the brightness without sacrificing much. Take that edge off for you

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #177 of 485
First question is, what are you playing it through. That could be part of the problem with the highs. Yes the Editions is tuned a little bright, but depending on what I'm playing it from determines how bad the effect is. Secondly. Lowering the high frequencies a bit in the Eq of your music player will tone down the brightness without sacrificing much. Take that edge off for you

I tried with my HTC M8 and also my iTouch. Both have the same songs/files. It would be the case of my source but it's the same day I tried the UERR and also the M70X and none of those exhibited any noticeable harshness.

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #178 of 485
200 hours of burn in and the harshness should be gone

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #180 of 485
In the portable arena I have
I have the:
Hifiman edition S,
OPPO PM2 modded

I recently had the:
HEX
PM1
Ed8 modded
Ultrasone ED5
Audeze Sine

Amoungst countless other portables in my signature.

This edition "S" can match the level of transparency/realism, and Soundstage of ALL the others,
With exception of the HEX.

The Audeze Sine has a suction that can give you a bit more of low-level "oomph", but is a bit flat and tight so needs to be amped to sound best.

These edition "S" don't need anything being so efficient.
They don't look so expensive either.
They actually look a bit cheap with the emblem covers off, and don't look like expensive looking headphones, which I like.

Bottom line is:
These headphones are the underdog of headphones. ..

They are just open and airy, like an hd800.
The main difference compared to other headphones is how the Soundstage is presented.
Detailing is not forced upon you like other cans.
Everything is layered properly to me, having space.
It is the only can to match the ultradone ed5 in spacial separation of instruments.
In the beginning the bass changed from a little too much,
to too little to lean,
Then settling in just right.

The other issue is the signature.
At first in beginning, there seems to be a slight recession somewhere in the mids, to help or accentuate the presence of Soundstage.

With other headphones,
I have also noted in past that an increase in mids or lower mids also gives a perception of more proximity.
This is where Hifiman seems to have tailored the signature to enhance Soundstage.

With all Hifiman latest models (I owned the 3 latest), they try to maximize Soundstage, and this headphone does as well.

But after the break in period, the recession is more gentle and not noticeable at all once you start listening.
Just beautiful lively music.

So they are my favorite cans for now.
Perfect for my purpose of outside.
I use with the cups open even outside,
as they not totally open to outside.

When I need to close them, the sonic difference is minimal with bass being lessened and mids being more pronounced and closed , but still more open sounding than most others.

They simply look nice until you take the covers off.
Then they look like cheapo headphones.
This is why they are the underdog of headphones, looking like a very sturdy & cheap throw around unit, while having one of the absolute best 50mm drivers I have heard.
It is really top quality.

That's why I love these headphones.

I would say, for sound alone,
the two portables to beat so far, are these headphones and the Audeze Sine.

The only issue with the Sine, once you get used to the on ear suction& clamp,
Is that they look so luxurious and expensive,
that you worry about scratching the luxurious leather,
Not to mention they are a more expensive .
For an outside portable, these Hifiman edition "S" fit the purpose better, and are an "over-ear" for most users.
Big plus in comfort.

If you like open airy or slightly brighter signatures with full range bass, get the Edition "S".
If you like darker closer signature with bit more sub-bass slam, get the Sine.
There you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back