Hifiman Edition 6 Headphones
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #181 of 318
HE1000 V1 is the first model we use wood veneer to make headphones. Veneer is light and much more reliable comparing to wood. There are issues at the beginning batch of HE1000 V1 because HIFIMAN team need some time to know more about veneer and tooling. 

I decide to go to V2 because I feel HE1000 V1 480g weight is heavy to me. In addition,V2 build quality was improved a lot: we redo tooling (both metal and veneer) so that we improved a lot of fitting and finish. I feel upset that there are some headfiers say V2 was badly built. If you have opportunity, please take a looking before posting.  

Shangri-La and Edition 6's metal parts were made from CNC. CNC such complicated parts cost a lot more than any tooling procedure. So Edition 6 estimated building cost is actually 3 to 5 times than HE1000.  

We will attend NYC canjam and show off HE1000 V2, Shangri-La and Edition 6. 

Fang

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 12, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #183 of 318
We know it's arbitrary, market supported pricing. And as far as materials go, veneer looks really cheap. I don't like it on the HFM or Audeze cans. It looks tacky. hifiman has been outclassed in the premium market by Focal. The utopias are indeed expensive, but they also look the part. I bet the edition 6 sounds spectacular, But for that crappy price, I hope no one buys it.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #185 of 318
We know it's arbitrary, market supported pricing. And as far as materials go, veneer looks really cheap. I don't like it on the HFM or Audeze cans. It looks tacky. hifiman has been outclassed in the premium market by Focal. The utopias are indeed expensive, but they also look the part. I bet the edition 6 sounds spectacular, But for that crappy price, I hope no one buys it.

Audeze would never use veneer, all of their headphones are real wood. LCD4 for instance uses Macassar Ebony or Cocobolo. Both extremely exotic and expensive! That's also why they are so heavy.

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #190 of 318
My point was that veneer is never a good option, because it looks inherently cheap and 1970s. The titanium edition looks much better. All of the oppo models also look superior

I totally agree with you on that part. I have got 3 pairs of HEK V1 on my hands before, 1 beta version at the dealership, my original pair and my second pair, and none of them have an acceptable level of finish on their veneer. Their colours are uneven, edges don't even aline with the metal grill. My second pair even got a large blemish on one side. And while the HEK V2 is a drastic improvement over the V1, the veneer still left a lot to be desired especially at the price of $2999.

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #191 of 318
I totally agree with you on that part. I have got 3 pairs of HEK V1 on my hands before, 1 beta version at the dealership, my original pair and my second pair, and none of them have an acceptable level of finish on their veneer. Their colours are uneven, edges don't even aline with the metal grill. My second pair even got a large blemish on one side. And while the HEK V2 is a drastic improvement over the V1, the veneer still left a lot to be desired especially at the price of $2999.
exactly. I've never had a problem with HFM sound, but they are cheap as possibly can be often for premium prices

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #192 of 318
exactly. I've never had a problem with HFM sound, but they are cheap as possibly can be often for premium prices

I really love the sound of HEK when it's properly driven and with some good aftermarket cables. The last time I auditioned the HEK V2, the stock form already sound very pleasing. Literally every single time when I listen to a pair of HFM I was like, 'wow these sound awesome'. But literally every single time when I put them down I cannot help but start being picky about the industrial design, material that is used and the overall finish. And here we go again, ED6 with an even worse design than HEK and still the same kind of construction and material. Sigh!

Btw, CNC for 3 to 5 times the cost? I know the router machine is kind of expensive (I know it because I work on it in my university), but you can't just expect us to believe all the money went into those machines.

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #193 of 318
I really love the sound of HEK when it's properly driven and with some good aftermarket cables. The last time I auditioned the HEK V2, the stock form already sound very pleasing. Literally every single time when I listen to a pair of HFM I was like, 'wow these sound awesome'. But literally every single time when I put them down I cannot help but start being picky about the industrial design, material that is used and the overall finish. And here we go again, ED6 with an even worse design than HEK and still the same kind of construction and material. Sigh!

Btw, CNC for 3 to 5 times the cost? I know the router machine is kind of expensive (I know it because I work on it in my university), but you can't just expect us to believe all the money went into those machines.
Fang is already on record as saying that he priced the HEK at what he thought the market would support. I think he is finding out that the market might not support a BS 6K price point

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #194 of 318
I see a lot of people bashing Hifiman for the Edition 6 pricing. Well, I think the one more deserved to be bashed is the Abyss. If u make a new headphone, and the sound quality is better than the Abyss, would u sell cheaper than the Abyss? Probably not. Are Hifiman headphones all bad value for money? No! The HE400s, HE400i and HE560 are great bargain. If u don't lust for the Edition 6, why does the price bother u?

Why the abyss? and why are you making the assumption that its better than the Abyss? 
Up till now, ive been through almost every single TOTL and i personally like them and the utopias the most.
At least the abyss is built like a tank, the build quality somewhat justifies its price, at least to a larger extent than what ive seen from HFM so far.
And besides, a used Abyss just sold for 3500SGD locally last month, which is around 2450USD. I dont think the abyss is still as expensive as everyone thinks they are, at least in the used market.

From what i see people just find that the build quality of the Ed6 just doesnt justify its price 

Me personally? Well if it sounds good then i might just pull the trigger, but beating the abyss for my personal sonic preferences wont be easy.

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #195 of 318
  Why the abyss? and why are you making the assumption that its better than the Abyss? 
Up till now, ive been through every single non electro stat TOTL and i personally like them and the utopias the most.
At least the abyss is built like a tank, the build quality somewhat justifies its price, at least to a larger extent than what ive seen from HFM so far.
And besides, a used Abyss just sold for 3500SGD locally last month, which is around 2450USD. I dont think the abyss is still as expensive as everyone thinks they are, at least in the used market.

From what i see people just find that the build quality of the Ed6 just doesnt justify its price 

Me personally? Well if it sounds good then i might just pull the trigger, but beating the abyss for my personal sonic preferences wont be easy.

The devaluation on the used market is a much better indicator than MSRP/RRP of actual value for the sound, build quality and ergonomics (the full package). Look at HEK, Audeze LCD-whatever and SR-009 for example. Abyss coming down in price so much on the used market actually makes a good argument and proves the point of how ridiculously overpriced the MSRP is, especially the first manbag edition. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back