Hifiman Edition 6 Headphones
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #61 of 318
Everything I've read about this company ensures that I will never support them with my money unless things change.

A little message for Hifiman:

1.Please show some respect for your customers by improving build quality and cable quality from your lower priced cans all the way to the ''flagships''.

2.Learn how to make cheaper headphones well before charging $6000 to $50,000 for your products.

3. Do not rush the releases of new headphones with quality issues and then correct these in a Version 2 just months later accompanied by a significant price drop. This just leaves a very bad taste in the mouths of your customers who supported you by buying the initial release.

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #65 of 318
Let me redirect this thread a little bit. (No, I am also really not happy with the idiotic price tag! 21K for the whole system? It equates to almost 30K in Australia! I am done...)

It is curious to see what kind of magnet configuration they implemented in the ed. 6 as shown in Fang's Weibo account, it looks awful like those of the 'Audeze Fazor'. They called it the 'Stealth Magnets' and is a patent pending technology. And it looks like it is symmetrical instead of those asymmetrical magnets that were implemented on the HEK.

Now we have Audeze with Fazor and Fluxor magnet, Hifiman Edition 6 with 'Stealth Magnet', Hifiman HEK with asymmetrical magnet, Abyss with one sided magnet (biggest soundstage of them all), and Mr. Speakers with TrueFlow. Really interested to see how those competing technologies stack up against each other. 

Top to bottom, ED6, Audeze, HEK

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #66 of 318
No release on HF...  6k price...  More or less consistent with high end planar headphone improvement recipe - less disruptive magnets and thinner diaphragm...  And probably still not competitive :)

Welcome to 2017!  Likely more of the same to come.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #67 of 318
As someone who really appreciates good design, those random increase of gap at the bottom of the grills really really bugs me! As shown below, red lines indicate what proper offset curves should look like. I just can't conceive the shoddiness of the execution that is presented here. Yes, this might just be a design feature for sound tuning, or might just be prototypes. And yes I might just be a bit too nitpicking. But seriously?

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #70 of 318
Yes, but if we don't care about things like these, then who will? We are enthusiasts after all.

We are all enthusiasts, that's a given. But we all know that headphones and associated gear is going up, up, up in price. Lucky for us that these aren't the only headphone available for us. Maybe these are the absolute best phones ever conceived, maybe they're the worst, we don't/won't know. But to ridicule the company and the products they have put out is lame.

I don't know, maybe it's just me being the lame one.

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #71 of 318
the ridiculing is warranted imo given this company's more recent track record

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #72 of 318
We are all enthusiasts, that's a given. But we all know that headphones and associated gear is going up, up, up in price. Lucky for us that these aren't the only headphone available for us. Maybe these are the absolute best phones ever conceived, maybe they're the worst, we don't/won't know. But to ridicule the company and the products they have put out is lame.

I don't know, maybe it's just me being the lame one.

If nobody called out poor behavior when it's warranted, then most manufacturers would just walk all over consumers without a second thought.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #73 of 318
I look forward to the impressions thread.
I'd like to hear more about how these headphones sound before piling on the ridicule.
Not sure how this constitutes "walking all over consumers" - it's consumers themselves that will validate the pricing by actually buying the product, or not.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #74 of 318
The price certainly isn't far off from what hardcore audiophiles usually pay for the highest sets like abyss, stax, and vintage headphones. I like how the general feedback has been negative though so hifiman really reconsiders changing their products and pricing

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #75 of 318
I think this will be an interesting test. 

Now the build quality might be shoddy, but I don't think I've heard many, if anyone say the HE1000v2 is clearly inferior acoustically to any products below it's price point. While pricey for what you get (mostly due to the build quality), it's still a solid headphone.

The issue here now with the ED6 it's going to now go against a headphone that's clearly better than their previous offerings (the Focal Utopia). Basically if the ED6 doesn't at the very least match the Utopia (not just in reviews which we know may have some financial incentive behind them now) but at the very least measure as well as the Utopia, given it's 50% more expensive it's really going to humiliate the Hifiman brand, because now they're going to have a shoddily built headphone that's no good acoustically either, I mean they would literally be worse than Ultrasone at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back