Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Apr 3, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 984
I look forward to your full review and comparison to the Sundara. I’ve been thinking about this headphone since launch but if it’s not on par with the Sundara I’d probably pass.
Do you own Sundara? what do you like/dislike about them?
I have one of the first Sundara's, apparently there is a new 2020 version slightly re-tuned - So please take that into considerations.
Also for easier comparison I used one amp with 2 HP outputs all done over cable to Grace m9xx (DEVA is more sensitive so still it needed volume adjustment each swap). I think that this amp is good but it may underpower Sundara a bit - in full review i will use full size NVA amp with additional PSUs to make it fairer comparison.

- DEVA has a bit more energy and detail in upper mid - makes easier to follow female voices like Kate Bush. But it also makes it a bit sharper sounding on crap recordings
Sound stage is more spread with DEVA to both sides where Sundara is more in front
Royals by Lorde bass line is punchier on DEVA - both seems to go to same depths.
Comfort here DEVA also suites me better (smaller head)

So even after initial impression DEVA is NOT Sundara with BT

Apr 3, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 984
So I know little to nothing about this new headphone, but I am interested in picking up a set from HiFiMan official on eBay. My plans are to use these with bluetooth connectivity through my iPhone as well as wired connectivity on my Mac Pro, fed through Schiit Magni/Modi stack.

Do these headphones seem to benefit through amplification & a hard connection to a good degree? Or would I be barking up the wrong tree here?

Apr 3, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 984
Do these headphones seem to benefit through amplification & a hard connection to a good degree? Or would I be barking up the wrong tree here?

It does sound somehow better connected directly to an good amp - but the difference is not night and day. Think that whats inside bluemini is tailored to whats DEVA needs - To get audible benefit from separate DAC/AMP you need to go for gear that most likely costs considerably more than DEVA itself. To add to it I would say that DEVA sounds better via BT (ldac) than connected to hp socket of OnePlus 3T mobile.

Apr 6, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 984
It does sound somehow better connected directly to an good amp - but the difference is not night and day. Think that whats inside bluemini is tailored to whats DEVA needs - To get audible benefit from separate DAC/AMP you need to go for gear that most likely costs considerably more than DEVA itself. To add to it I would say that DEVA sounds better via BT (ldac) than connected to hp socket of OnePlus 3T mobile.
Technology is crazy. Thanks for letting me know. I think I'll be picking these up shortly. I sold all of my planars off a few months back and have been wanting them again.

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #10 of 984
I've been looking out for these since news came out of China that they were gonna be released . Kudos to Hifiman . It's a great and unique idea to have an amp dongle separate from the headphones . My dailies at my desk are Sundaras and I really wonder how these 2 compare . Looking forward to your comparison .

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 984
If you liked my old photos, with the flowers, I'm back now :)

I got Deva, and what can I say, so far I'm amazed. May kill the sales of Sundara, it is easier to drive, more stylish, more comfy than Sundy, feels better built at first sight, and comes with a bluetooth module. I need more ear time to tell whether it sounds better (on cable of course). The BT module is very potent though, has good batt life, and drives them well.

I can only wear them between my appartment and shop while doing shopping, because Romania is in quarantine, so I can't take that many good photos, but man, I'm loving the sound of them so far! :)

Feels like a nice fresh start for HIFIMAN and their midrange models.

IF I had any complaint so far tho:
- It looks worse in photos than it does in person
- cable on only one side means no way you can get custom cables properly
- Default cable is okay, but not great. Still better than what Sundara comes with
- Still not that easy to drive, smartphones won't do justice to them

On the bright side:

- I love the sound
- Stylish
- Comfy (larger cups, better for for my ears, better earpads). Need more time to say whetyher the headband works alright.

Overall, I'd call it a 9/10 from day1, let's see what others have to say and how they feel for others.

I will be around to answer questions, if anyone has curiosities about them :)

EU8S4BNXsAUrboc

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 984
If you liked my old photos, with the flowers, I'm back now :)

I got Deva, and what can I say, so far I'm amazed. May kill the sales of Sundara, it is easier to drive, more stylish, more comfy than Sundy, feels better built at first sight, and comes with a bluetooth module. I need more ear time to tell whether it sounds better (on cable of course). The BT module is very potent though, has good batt life, and drives them well.

I can only wear them between my appartment and shop while doing shopping, because Romania is in quarantine, so I can't take that many good photos, but man, I'm loving the sound of them so far! :)

Feels like a nice fresh start for HIFIMAN and their midrange models.

IF I had any complaint so far tho:
- It looks worse in photos than it does in person
- cable on only one side means no way you can get custom cables properly
- Default cable is okay, but not great. Still better than what Sundara comes with
- Still not that easy to drive, smartphones won't do justice to them

On the bright side:

- I love the sound
- Stylish
- Comfy (larger cups, better for for my ears, better earpads). Need more time to say whetyher the headband works alright.

Overall, I'd call it a 9/10 from day1, let's see what others have to say and how they feel for others.

I will be around to answer questions, if anyone has curiosities about them :)

EU8S4BNXsAUrboc

Love the pics. Thanks for the first impressions. Very excited to give them a listen.

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 984
Kinda new Head-Fi'er here, definitely keeping an eye on these. Anyone who's tried these or plan to tried these that have also tried out the Drop Pandas? I'd definitely consider between these two for a wireless can.

Apr 7, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #14 of 984
Heard from somewhere that it's balanced despite only having a cable one one side. Can I confirm?

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #15 of 984
That is surprisingly cheap orthodynamic hp! I would be very interested get that on my hand. Considering 400€ is reasonable with shipping and tax.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back