Hifiman Arya vs. Arya "Revision"
May 30, 2020 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

XGeneX88

100+ Head-Fier
I've wanted to talk about this because it's something that's been really bothering me as of late...

I purchased an open-box Arya from Hifiman directly, performed my standard burn-in and immediately fell in love with the sound. The treble and bass both had a characteristic to them which were very impressive and had a "wow" factor right off the bat. The bass was deep and had a "diffusion" to it like I've never heard which made them stand out from the rest of my "stable". The treble was incredibly detailed and precise unlike my other headphones as well (even my HD800S). These were my endgames for Jazz... Unfortunately.. I had a build problem with my pair which caused me to swap for another pair. Here is where my annoyances began.. ENTER - revision model. I get the replacement pair and what the heck.. they look different. Instead of the advertised mesh on the back, I see cloth covering the driver. Okay.. I did my standard burn-in and try them on. To my disappointment the headphones sound different.The treble is still great but not as high or detailed as the previous set (no longer better than my HD800S). The bass... good but no more diffusion effect like the previous pair and sound like plain bass on other "good" pairs I own (no longer standing out of the crowd).

My honest opinion is that the Revision model is quite terrible compared to the pre-revision model. I've had the "shakes" and been searching for a pre-revision model on here ever since because Hifiman claim they no longer have any more pre-revision models for sale.

My question - Have any of you guys ran into similar feelings/comparisons between the two? I don't understand why Hifiman would've done this to their product now and altered the sound in such a negative way. It also bothers me that the cloth in their opinion is an "improvement" while all current ToTL headphones are being made with the standard patented mesh and do NOT use this cloth covering. I feel this was done to cut a cost, not improve the product.

Thoughts?

May 30, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 94
Nothing to say on the Arya, however there are those that swear later versions of the HE-560, HE-5se, HE-6se have variants that don't sound as good as the original.

I wouldn't imagine given the lack of response on these complaints that HiFiMan agrees or take any responsibility. I sold off my HE-5se. I had much different experiences at times unhappy ones with my HE-6SE - but with repair of my incoming VAC and use of an EQ, I'm quite satisfied. Good luck.

Our luck that they should make such great products, and sport such questionable QA and reputation damaging business practices. They have to be one of the most profitable headphones makers per labor hours in the world, guess it's not enough.

May 30, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 94
I've wanted to talk about this because it's something that's been really bothering me as of late...

I purchased an open-box Arya from Hifiman directly, performed my standard burn-in and immediately fell in love with the sound. The treble and bass both had a characteristic to them which were very impressive and had a "wow" factor right off the bat. The bass was deep and had a "diffusion" to it like I've never heard which made them stand out from the rest of my "stable". The treble was incredibly detailed and precise unlike my other headphones as well (even my HD800S). These were my endgames for Jazz... Unfortunately.. I had a build problem with my pair which caused me to swap for another pair. Here is where my annoyances began.. ENTER - revision model. I get the replacement pair and what the heck.. they look different. Instead of the advertised mesh on the back, I see cloth covering the driver. Okay.. I did my standard burn-in and try them on. To my disappointment the headphones sound different.The treble is still great but not as high or detailed as the previous set (no longer better than my HD800S). The bass... good but no more diffusion effect like the previous pair and sound like plain bass on other "good" pairs I own (no longer standing out of the crowd).

My honest opinion is that the Revision model is quite terrible compared to the pre-revision model. I've had the "shakes" and been searching for a pre-revision model on here ever since because Hifiman claim they no longer have any more pre-revision models for sale.

My question - Have any of you guys ran into similar feelings/comparisons between the two? I don't understand why Hifiman would've done this to their product now and altered the sound in such a negative way. It also bothers me that the cloth in their opinion is an "improvement" while all current ToTL headphones are being made with the standard patented mesh and do NOT use this cloth covering. I feel this was done to cut a cost, not improve the product.

Thoughts?

What do you mean by less diffuse bass and less detailed treble? Is the treble softer than before? Does the bass decay faster now?

May 30, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 94
What do you mean by less diffuse bass and less detailed treble? Is the treble softer than before? Does the bass decay faster now?
You cannot "locate" Arya bass as obiviously as many other headphones. Its quite like very well integrated subwoofer to stereo speakers.

I think he means this effect has suffered with new revision.

May 30, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 94

Hard to describe, the treble isn’t as sweet or delicate sounding on the revision. Definitely less extended and smoother but in a way I dislike. The bass doesn’t seem to extend as low either and yes, they sound less speaker like and more like headphones.

May 30, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 94
Hard to describe, the treble isn’t as sweet or delicate sounding on the revision. Definitely less extended and smoother but in a way I dislike. The bass doesn’t seem to extend as low either and yes, they sound less speaker like and more like headphones.

Interesting. I used to own them when they were first launched. I’d like to hear what others say about this new revision.

May 30, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 94
I never had one but it seems that QC issues always pop up regarding Hifiman products.

May 31, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #8 of 94
The same revision happend on the Ananda aswell.....according to Hifiman,the it was implemented to improve the QC and has no impact on sound quality. What you encountered may be just unit variations.
Also I got mine about 2 month ago, it is the old version Arya. The production date on the box says November 2019, so if you ask your local retailer instead of directly from hifiman, there is a very high possibility they have the old version in stock.

May 31, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 94
The same revision happend on the Ananda aswell.....according to Hifiman,the it was implemented to improve the QC and has no impact on sound quality. What you encountered may be just unit variations.
Also I got mine about 2 month ago, it is the old version Arya. The production date on the box says November 2019, so if you ask your local retailer instead of directly from hifiman, there is a very high possibility they have the old version in stock.
Thank you, I will try this! If that is “unit variation” then that’s an even more frightening thing imo...

May 31, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #10 of 94
Thank you, I will try this! If that is “unit variation” then that’s an even more frightening thing imo...
All headphone model has unit variations..I dont know if u are into pc DIY or not.
But all the cpu chip and gpu chip also has unit variations.
If Intel with their billion dollor research funds and billion dollar chip planet cannot produce identical CPUs, i would not expect niche headphone industry to achieve it.

May 31, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 94
All headphone model has unit variations..I dont know if u are into pc DIY or not.
But all the cpu chip and gpu chip also has unit variations.
If Intel with their billion dollor research funds and billion dollar chip planet cannot produce identical CPUs, i would not expect niche headphone industry to achieve it.
I get that and I’m at I.T guy so yes to a degree you’re correct. However this was not a slight variation to my ears. I’ve heard multiple HD800S, and three MDR-Z1R’s and several M50x’s. All sound so similar that I recognize “that headphones signature”. The Arya revision I’m talking about is instantly recognizable to be different.

May 31, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #12 of 94
I bought mine new in march and from what you describe it is still the "old" revision.

When was the new one released?

May 31, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 94
I bought mine new in march and from what you describe it is still the "old" revision.

When was the new one released?

I honestly have no idea but I emailed Hifiman about it and they did confirm that only the new revisions are currently being shipped.

Can you please see what the manufacture date is on your box? I know you bought it in March but it may have been produced sometime in 2019. This is important to me and I’d appreciate if you could since I’ll be calling various dealers trying to find one tomorrow. Thanks!

May 31, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #14 of 94
I honestly have no idea but I emailed Hifiman about it and they did confirm that only the new revisions are currently being shipped.

Can you please see what the manufacture date is on your box? I know you bought it in March but it may have been produced sometime in 2019. This is important to me and I’d appreciate if you could since I’ll be calling various dealers trying to find one tomorrow. Thanks!
I just checked and was very surprised
Manufactured in 2018, even though I got it directly from sieveking sound (german hifiman retailer)

Jun 1, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 94

Hi there, just to clear up any confusion that there might be regarding the revision. The change was that the mesh formerly attached to the pads in now a mesh attached to the headphone cups themselves. There should be no sonic changes.

What I might suggest is the "issue" is that your open box one was one that had been fully burnt in and the replacement was not. Give it a little time to stretch its legs and it should open up nicely.

If after a little time you're not happy with it, contact our customer support and we would be happy to exchange it for you.

Mark

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back