HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #10,996 of 11,920
Could you describe some of the "new things" you hear with specific tracks? If you listen to reasonably volume-matched pink noise or sine sweeps, do you notice that some frequency bands are more forward on one than the other? Are there tiny transients the HE1000se resolves that the Arya can't? Does one seem to have a blacker background than the other (which I consider plausible FR-related)? I'm just curious regarding the theory behind how folks come to hear "more details" or "things they hadn't heard before". Certainly in my experience, different headphone frequency responses or EQ profiles can bring forward some details while receding others. Even as an owner of a Meze Elite with fine-tuned EQ, I am very critical of what I shortly come to think I hear on one compared to the other.
Man i don't have all the answers. I'm not able to compare them side by side anymore. I think Hekse makes details more noticeable and intelligible due to it's more laid out separated imaging. Arya Stealth sounds more forward and crowded. I can also notice some unwanted artifacts/coil whine in some recordings easier. Psychoacoustics is a complex science. I appreciate your more scientific, sceptic approach.

Sep 15, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #10,997 of 11,920
Well, if anyone had doubts that the planars "wake up", I already have confirmation, my organic woke up from one channel but unfortunately only from one, so now it is more airy with more details and a wide stage of a single channel, it is totally evident, So much so that it's unusable so they're just broken now, the other channel is kind of more limited, I can't wait to see if it wakes up and evens out, I don't know if or when that will happen.

It is not necessary to say that I tried other HPs and they sound correctly on both channels, also other wiring, it is simply a matter of the unit/drivers :frowning2:

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #10,998 of 11,920
Are you calculating the current for normal listening volumes or the current that was flowing moments before you went deaf and your eardrums met in the center of your skull?

It is basic Ohms law but what does it prove about drivability of a HP without the information about what an amplifier can provide? Even the basic RME ADI-2 DAC states a per channel max output current of 260 mA in the manual. Even when you want to blow your ears out with a 16 ohms HP, you need 157 mA. For 90 dB it is 50 mA.

I don't understand what we are discussing here: Whether it is 120 dB, or it is 85 dB - it is still way below the level of what ADI-2 DAC amplifier provides. The numbers are meaningless without comparing it to what an amp can provide. The guy suggests 110 dB and with 110 dB it is still 50 mA (the above @90 dB should have been 5 mA). It is still way below 260 mA. FiiO K5 Pro has a max output current rating of 500 mA. Some old FiiO DAP amps have a rating about 130-150 mA.

So what is the problem here? That Organic needs a special amplifier? No, it doesn't.
It can even be driven off a phone or laptop.

Sep 15, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #10,999 of 11,920
I left it on pink noise overnight in case that helped but unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

I'm going to pull the trigger on HEK Stealth since they let me make a change, I'll comment on my impressions, I like Organic and I would go back with it but I still want to hear HEk Stealth, I'm curious.

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #11,001 of 11,920
I could never recommend Clear to anyone because of the severe clipping issues. I always fix the bass with EQ so they are a no-go on that ground.
I never noticed the clipping at my listening levels with two copies of mine and my current Clear MG. I don't think it's an issue for most people. Not unheard of, but also over-exaggerated IMO.

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #11,002 of 11,920
I could never recommend Clear to anyone because of the severe clipping issues. I always fix the bass with EQ so they are a no-go on that ground.
Not a fan of Clear, but regardless, your amp is clipping, not your headphones, they are just letting you know. Don't overdrive your amp, watch the gain, and pushing EQ.

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #11,003 of 11,920
Regarding the tonal performance...in all areas...also compared to the Susvara 😎
(I think the measurements will also show that the Arya Organic is Fangs is best tuned Headphone 😉)

As I said, I was amazed myself.....and that takes a lot

Wish all Organic Owners many happy hours and a great time 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol
Interesting. I find the bass more tight and sub focused on Organic vs HE1000 Stealth, but otherwise they are very closely tuned with HE1000 Stealth having more texture and resolution, and Organic having more speedy transients/ bite.

Personally, I find the Stealth the more refined and resolving pair, but if someone wants very clean transparent sound they may prefer the Arya Organic. I found the Organic on DAP's sounded less compressed, but on desktop amps HE1000 Stealth scales much more.

I believe @vsg28 had similar impressions. Also referencing his measurements below
graph (11).png

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 15, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #11,006 of 11,920
When listening to bass pure tones at higher levels, do you ever hear a symmetric faint buzzing or clipping lasting up to 200 Hz? I've personally assumed that this was bass distortion or driver clipping, its being quieter on some headphones, even the harder to drive ones like the DCA Expanse over the balanced output. This is different from a "rattling" or "knocking" proper that I could hear out of dynamic headphones or the Final Audio D8000 Pro, and that knocking distinctly comes with a change in the character of the imaging, its sounding like it is surely the driver colliding with something somewhere. I had heard of the Focal Utopia's clipping issues, but the 2022 unit I auditioned actually did pretty well.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #11,007 of 11,920
No, it's not the amplifier. Clear has lots of people saying the drivers clip.

With stock FR at various reported volumes. Same reason I never have given them a shot either because I would EQ them too, which only increases the odds of the spoon slap.

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #11,009 of 11,920
No, it's not the amplifier. Clear has lots of people saying the drivers clip.
I never have clipping on my clears when you say alot of people have clipping problems im sure its no where near the amount that don't.
I use mine on a90 discrete/d90le, ef400 desktop & ifi idsd micro signature/fostex hpv1 mobile dac/amps.

Sep 15, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #11,010 of 11,920
I never have clipping on my clears when you say alot of people have clipping problems im sure its no where near the amount that don't.
I use mine on a90 discrete/d90le, ef400 desktop & ifi idsd micro signature/fostex hpv1 mobile dac/amps.
Thousands of people have this HP and that is why Focal has continued producing the MG OG versions, If there was an ongoing issue with clipping you can be sure they would have fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back