HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #10,982 of 11,945
No I haven't, do they have this type of sound that I described? Eventually it would be nice to visit a shop so I could try out a bunch of stuff! I think I would do that before considering upgrading the V3
The clears are very dynamic. The owner of headphones.com prefers the Clear OG for his personal listening when he could choose almost anything. They certainly aren't my personal preference but they are a tried and tested HP that many adore.

Sep 14, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #10,983 of 11,945
My Clear MG came in today and they definitely take the edge off the original Clear.

Sep 14, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #10,984 of 11,945
I tried the EQ profile that was mentioned, at first I found it a bit more engaging but it introduced airy-ness that was too much for me, and after a few songs I got mild ear discomfort all around the ear and felt fatigued from listening (never been an issue in stock). This is where I should shape this profile to me specifically, but at this point I don't trust myself to make any changes that could unknowingly mess up something else about the "intended" or stock sound. (not sure if that makes any sense:sunglasses:)

So ended up keeping it stock and got a Lyr+. I realized its designed to run unbalanced so it fits right in and is compatible with my E30 dac, lots of power even with tube and class A. Its nice I don't have to get additional XLR cables and change out my HEKv2 cable that I absolutely love. I figured it makes for a nice compliment to the more analytical and transparent L30 aswell. A few people were also giving massive credit to the synergy of hifiman's with it in the lyr+ thread.

The reports of some broken units in the Lyr+ thread had me reconsider, but it was one of the only amps I was intersted in that was available from a local dealer with cheap and easy potential return. I might be tempted to upgrade V3 some time, but by then there will probably be new ones. Aswell as checking out some other headphones like the focal clear and zmf's headphones in a shop

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #10,987 of 11,945
You should not look at Volts for driving planars. For example, Arya needs only 2-3V to get it up to 120db, but at the same time, it needs loads of current, more than 150mA.

just to compare: to drive 300 ohms sennheisers up to 120db, you need approximately 8V, but only 25mA of current.

So you should look for mW rating, which includes both Voltage and Current values in it. And secondly, very important thing is good clean power supply for Amp section.
Are you calculating the current for normal listening volumes or the current that was flowing moments before you went deaf and your eardrums met at the center of your skull?

It is basic Ohms law but what does it prove about drivability of a HP without the information about what an amplifier can provide? Even the basic RME ADI-2 DAC states a per channel max output current of 260 mA in the manual. Even when you want to blow your ears out with a 16 ohms HP, you need 157 mA. For 90 dB it is 5 mA.

Screenshots_2023-09-15-01-04-38.png

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #10,988 of 11,945
The special thing about arya organic, as I personally think, is this kind of liveliness/dynamic in the bass/low end and the freshness/airness👍
(On the other hand, listening to Susvara makes me fall asleep😎)

My personal ranking about the Hifimans

1.Arya Organic
2.HE1000SE
3.SUSVARA

NOMAX
Some people don’t like the extra details the HEKse and susvara bring to the table. That’s fine that’s why the Arya and others are there. They are both much faster drivers than the Organic. I find the organic to be a bit of a v shape and I think they have the same magnet array as the V2 except with stealth magnets. So they may be getting the same reflections collisions as V2 make it seem wider. Much like the HEK stealth it is the stop gap to appease those inbetweeners. I think also the shade is a bit thicker denser which may accentuate the bass which the Arya Stealth also has just cleaner.

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #10,990 of 11,945
Are you calculating the current for normal listening volumes or the current that was flowing moments before you went deaf and your eardrums met at the center of your skull?

It is basic Ohms law but what does it prove about drivability of a HP without the information about what an amplifier can provide? Even the basic RME ADI-2 DAC states a per channel max output current of 260 mA in the manual. Even when you want to blow your ears out with a 16 ohms HP, you need 157 mA. For 90 dB it is 50 mA.

Screenshots_2023-09-15-01-04-38.png
It is not about blowing ears… nobody listens at 120db unless wanting to go deft. Not all the music lives at 1KHz and not all the amps perform the same at different volume levels.

GoldenSound explains it brilliantly here:

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #10,991 of 11,945
How do you find them compared to your Organic?
I'm coming from the OG Clears so I'm familiar with the overall sound signature, but everything you'd expect from Focal: a lot of energy and punch. The Organics are amazing for pretty much everything you would expect from planars with the stage and technicalities with tons of detail and dry texture.

I feel if you have both of these, you're pretty much set.

Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 7.57.16 PM.png

The difference was very apparent between the two on this track.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #10,992 of 11,945
It is not about blowing ears… nobody listens at 120db unless wanting to go deft. Not all the music lives at 1KHz and not all the amps perform the same at different volume levels.

GoldenSound explains it brilliantly here:

I don't understand what we are discussing here: Whether it is 120 dB, or it is 85 dB - it is still way below the level of what ADI-2 DAC amplifier provides. The numbers are meaningless without comparing it to what an amp can provide. The guy suggests 110 dB and with 110 dB it is still 50 mA (the above @90 dB should have been 5 mA). It is still way below 260 mA. FiiO K5 Pro has a max output current rating of 500 mA. Some old FiiO DAP amps have a rating about 130-150 mA.

So what is the problem here? That Organic needs a special amplifier? No, it doesn't.

Sep 15, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #10,993 of 11,945
Then HEK is superior to Organic… and Susvara superior to HEK… but then Organic is superior to Susvara apparently…and finally the cycle can loop itself for us to keep our sanity together✨😌✨ lol
In my book, they are all different. There aren't any hierarchy in terms of enjoyment. The hierarchy would only be in the perceived technicalities.

Sep 15, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #10,994 of 11,945
I got a bit worried when I heard Golden's comment on the arya vs heddphone 2 for detail, and I read a comment that apparently they are recommended to be listened to on low/low medium volume. If that's correct then I don't think they would be up my alley at all anyways as I easily prefer listening close to maximum long-term safe volumes with a huge sound:thinking:(I guess cause it's more stimulating) But for people who prefer a set of headphones to use instead of sticking to one all-arounder that might not be a reason to not want it, and if they don't mind lower volume
Arya $999, Hedd2 is $1999. Hifiman have He1000se at $1999 and i can confirm he1000se noticeably superior to Arya in terms of technicalities. I basically notice new things in the music.

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #10,995 of 11,945
Arya $999, Hedd2 is $1999. Hifiman have He1000se at $1999 and i can confirm he1000se noticeably superior to Arya in terms of technicalities. I basically notice new things in the music.
Could you describe some of the "new things" you hear with specific tracks? If you listen to reasonably volume-matched pink noise or sine sweeps, do you notice that some frequency bands are more forward on one than the other? Are there tiny transients the HE1000se resolves that the Arya can't? Does one seem to have a blacker background than the other (which I consider plausible FR-related)? I'm just curious regarding the theory behind how folks come to hear "more details" or "things they hadn't heard before". Certainly in my experience, different headphone frequency responses or EQ profiles can bring forward some details while receding others. Even as an owner of a Meze Elite with fine-tuned EQ, I am very critical of what I shortly come to think I hear on one compared to the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back