HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #10,623 of 11,915
EQ should be an additional preference. If you HAVE to EQ a headphone to make it sound good, then it isn't a good headphone.
That is not true. It depends on the listening preferences. I have the HE1000v2 and the headphone does everything I want BUT I like more bass than what it gives me on it's own. So, I eq more bass into the headphone.

Aug 17, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #10,625 of 11,915
+1 for RME ADI-2 DAC. It is not just a great DAC / amp but also a great tool with its PEQ and DSP features.
Yes! I use it with mine. I add a 7 dB bass shelf from 105 Hz.

Attachments

• IMG_6253.jpeg
    IMG_6253.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 17, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #10,626 of 11,915
EQ should be an additional preference. If you HAVE to EQ a headphone to make it sound good, then it isn't a good headphone.
Not at all, as not all recordings are created equally. I can send you two mixes of the same piece where one is bright and the other one not. One might sound OK whereas the other one might be too warm or too bright depending on your HP.

Besides, people's hearing change with age and they might prefer different tunings depending on the state of their hearing and listening experience.

So basic idea is to have a good base tuning and tweak via EQ depending on the recording. It is important for a HP to have stable and smooth tuning, without wiggles, and big sharp changes; and low distortion. After that there's comfort and efficiency.

How good a HP is how well balanced these parameters are.

Aug 17, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #10,627 of 11,915
That is not true. It depends on the listening preferences. I have the HE1000v2 and the headphone does everything I want BUT I like more bass than what it gives me on it's own. So, I eq more bass into the headphone.
that's fine that's your personal preference. Not a this headphone sounds crap, but okay when i EQ it. :wink:

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #10,629 of 11,915
that's fine that's your personal preference. Not a this headphone sounds crap, but okay when i EQ it. :wink:

There are trade offs with the physical designs on every single transducer. Thankfully the Arya has such low distortion you can sculp whatever FR you want and you still are listening to an Arya, a better Arya I might add. Look at it as buying a great transducer instead of buying a FR. The FR is good enough, but it can be better. Yet you can only know what is better or different if you don't hold yourself hostage to the stock FR.

You like what you like I get it, no problem, enjoy ! ;p......but do you !? bwahaahahahahha.:smiling_imp::beerchug:

Aug 18, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #10,630 of 11,915
Using Omnicalculator, you need 398.1mW to drive a headphone with a sensitivity of 94dB/mW and impedance of 16mW to 120dB (literally deafening levels). To sustain110dB (still literally deafening) you need only 39.81mW.

The Gryphon is more than capable.
That calculator is meant for only dynamic drivers - they respond to mostly voltage. OTOH, planars require significantly more current than dynamics - which nearly automatically requires more power to reach the sufficient current output levels to the drivers' for proper bass response......

Aug 18, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #10,631 of 11,915
The organic is great!

The resolution and dynamics for its price are impressive. They are quite bright, definitely more so than HEKv2 Stealth.

Bass goes deep and sub bass kick is fantastic, but overall bass is a bit less full than HEK Stealth which has more midbass oomph and sustained + texture.

Those who favor a very fast laser-like speed and hyper transparency will love Organic, but those wanting a bit more of an organic sound will prefer HEKV2 Stealth — go figure, hah!

Midrange on the Organic is the star of the show for me, followed by its very nice sense of impact and decent weight in the bass. The highs are reminiscent of the HE1000se of which it borrows design elements. Making the Arya Organic very bright in some cases, for better or for worse depends on mastering of the music and upstream gear synergy.

If Susvara is a 9.7/10, HEKv2 Stealth is a 9.4 and Organic a 9.1.

HE1000v2 Stealth is in my mind the best headphone money can but under 2K, and would be my personal choice over Organic for a small premium.
1692357600266.png

Thanks for your review @dleblanc343

I’m finally looking at a graph and the Arya Organic looks like an amazing headphone up until that 7kHz peak. It’s a nightmare for someone like me who doesn’t EQ. These look considerably brighter than the HEKSE and HEKV3 Stealth. Both of which are too bright for me to enjoy them.

I’m still interested to A/B with my HEKV2 but I’m super happy that I pulled the trigger this year on a HEKV2 before they discontinued. They’re the best in the egg shaped HiFiMan lineup in my opinion.

Aug 18, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #10,632 of 11,915
1692357600266.png

I’m finally looking at a graph and the Arya Organic looks like an amazing headphone up until that 7kHz peak. It’s a nightmare for someone like me who doesn’t EQ. These look considerably brighter than the HEKSE and HEKV3 Stealth. Both of which are too bright for me to enjoy them.

I’m still interested to A/B with my HEKV2 but I’m super happy that I pulled the trigger this year on a HEKV2 before they discontinued. They’re the best in the egg shaped HiFiMan lineup in my opinion.
Ouch. It’s bright, like I’ve been hearing.

Aug 18, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #10,633 of 11,915
I have never tried a headphone where EQ didn’t make it sound better. You’d need extreme luck to find something that can’t be improved by EQ.
In my opinion EQ ruins the overall sound fidelity.

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #10,634 of 11,915
1692357600266.png

Careful, this is a B&K 5128 setup measurement, not a GRAS setup. You cannot make a direct comparison with the usual Harman target - though I still expect it to be bright.

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #10,635 of 11,915
Careful, this is a B&K 5128 setup measurement, not a GRAS setup. You cannot make a direct comparison with the usual Harman target - though I still expect it to be bright.
I get what you’re saying but this is a Headphones.com measurement. I don’t agree entirely with what Resolve’s opinions are on headphones but the dude knows how to measure. His technical knowledge is super high.

Up until seeing the graph I was really excited for the Organic. Now I’m not. I’ll still listen to them when they arrive at my local store but I’m not expecting leaving with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back