HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #4,696 of 11,944
I had the same questions. :)

Arya - 7/10 VS Susvara 10/10?

The issue I had with the Arya was it’s overal sound signature. It was too harsh at times in the treble. Also noticed in complex packages the upper mids/lower treble would get hazy and lose image separation.

Susvara is better in almost all categories. Soundstage seems slightly wider. I used to think the Arya had better soundstage based on reviews but I don’t think that is correct.

Treble on the Susvaras are sweet and silky smooth. I need to buy a speaker amp and see if it gets even better.

But I did play for several family members and this time they all unanimously thought it sounded great. My wife heard a classical song and started crying. So seems good. :)

Nice, I'm still getting accustomed to the Arya, but I understand your criticism.

I agree it does not have the soundstage like HD800s in which it gets compared to on that front. To me its a bit bigger than other headphones I've tried, but it still sounds like a normal headphone, not that extra you get with the HD800s. I personally do not think it sounds unnatural though.

The bass feels so tight and punchy on the arya. I don't think the HD800s bass is lacking, but they just sound different. I am using the standard oratory1990EQ right now, which is more or less has the same bass shelf you're using.

Build is okay, but it doesn't feel premium, considering the asking price. Haven't had susvara in hand, but could imagine its the same story considering the outrageous MSRP.

Aug 21, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #4,697 of 11,944
The Burson Soloist and Conductor range should be a good synergy with the Arya. From what I'm told, they are natural/organic sounding - this is from friends who have heard them and in some cases own them. I haven't heard the Burson amps myself yet. I should have an opportunity to do so next month via a Friend who bought a Conductor 3X Performance (3XP). He also told me that it outperforms the Master 9, which I find impressive as the Master 9's quality and sound is superb in every way (in my books anyway).
I have the conductor 3 ref and its been my audio Nirvana with the Arya

Aug 21, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #4,699 of 11,944
I could not be happier with my recent move to Lyr 3 to drive Arya. Lyr's slight warm tilt adds body where Arya's sound was way too dry on A90, and emphasizes the mids just enough to take the edge off the treble where it was a bit too bright on A90. Finding the right synergy between your amp & Arya really is key.

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #4,700 of 11,944
I could not be happier with my recent move to Lyr 3 to drive Arya. Lyr's slight warm tilt adds body where Arya's sound was way too dry on A90, and emphasizes the mids just enough to take the edge off the treble where it was a bit too bright on A90. Finding the right synergy between your amp & Arya really is key.
Hey, first post on this forum so hey everyone lol. Just got the Arya today and am working with a Chord Mojo at the moment. This is directed at the whole thread as well, but would you consider the Lyr 3 an upgrade from the Mojo? Out of the box the combo sounds good, but definitely looking for possible improvement in the amp department preferably lower than 1k.

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #4,701 of 11,944
Hey, first post on this forum so hey everyone lol. Just got the Arya today and am working with a Chord Mojo at the moment. This is directed at the whole thread as well, but would you consider the Lyr 3 an upgrade from the Mojo? Out of the box the combo sounds good, but definitely looking for possible improvement in the amp department preferably lower than 1k.
I am upgrading from mojo/Arya to Topping A30 Pro.......will let you know.....

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #4,702 of 11,944
Hey, first post on this forum so hey everyone lol. Just got the Arya today and am working with a Chord Mojo at the moment. This is directed at the whole thread as well, but would you consider the Lyr 3 an upgrade from the Mojo? Out of the box the combo sounds good, but definitely looking for possible improvement in the amp department preferably lower than 1k[
I thought The Arya sounded awesome out of the lyr3 plus you will have the added benefit of being able to fine tune the sound to your taste by tube rolling and it will definitely provide more power then the mojo.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #4,703 of 11,944
I just ordered a Singxer SA-1 to replace my FUN to drive the Arya's. Will let you know about the results.
looking forward to your feedback

Aug 22, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #4,704 of 11,944
Welcome! :) I haven't heard the Chord mojo, but objectively speaking Lyr 3 has somewhere in the neighborhood of eight times as much power and doesn't have to be stuffed into a tiny portable enclosure, so I would say it is objectively an upgrade (though I generally wouldn't say Mojo & Lyr compete with each other in the first place - they are very different creatures with different strengths and completely different features). Sound-wise, as I said before, I can't recommend Lyr + Arya highly enough, but that's a totally subjective take.

Aug 23, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #4,705 of 11,944
Anyone else running the Arya's off the rear XLR from the Hugo TT2?

I was under the presumption that the SE output on the front was enough power but I feel the Arya's transformed with the added clean power. Treble is smoother, no longer as grating as I found it at times. More bass authority. Overall sound is fuller. Its so good that I think it beats my underpowered Susvara's at the moment. I need to get a speaker amp for the Susvara's lol ... :)

Aug 23, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #4,706 of 11,944
Anyone else running the Arya's off the rear XLR from the Hugo TT2?

I was under the presumption that the SE output on the front was enough power but I feel the Arya's transformed with the added clean power. Treble is smoother, no longer as grating as I found it at times. More bass authority. Overall sound is fuller. Its so good that I think it beats my underpowered Susvara's at the moment. I need to get a speaker amp for the Susvara's lol ... :)

No, but I am using the XLR out on my amp now and felt the treble tamped down too. I listened to my treble spike song again with stock tuning and was fine with it. Before it was jusss over the edge for my liking. Also don't have to switch to high gain as much to have decent volume control.

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #4,707 of 11,944
Welcome! :) I haven't heard the Chord mojo, but objectively speaking Lyr 3 has somewhere in the neighborhood of eight times as much power and doesn't have to be stuffed into a tiny portable enclosure, so I would say it is objectively an upgrade (though I generally wouldn't say Mojo & Lyr compete with each other in the first place - they are very different creatures with different strengths and completely different features). Sound-wise, as I said before, I can't recommend Lyr + Arya highly enough, but that's a totally subjective take.
Does the Lyr 3 have a USB port so it can easily be hooked up to my Mac like the Mojo does? Also would you say the Multibit DAC is the optimal module to go with for the Arya?
Edit: Also going to go ahead and state that I don't have the best knowledge on headphone dac/amps right now. I saw someone mentioning that use USB audio to their Mojo and then to the Lyr 3...since I already have the Mojo would this be ideal and how exactly would this work?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #4,708 of 11,944
Aug 23, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #4,709 of 11,944
Does the Lyr 3 have a USB port so it can easily be hooked up to my Mac like the Mojo does? Also would you say the Multibit DAC is the optimal module to go with for the Arya?
Edit: Also going to go ahead and state that I don't have the best knowledge on headphone dac/amps right now. I saw someone mentioning that use USB audio to their Mojo and then to the Lyr 3...since I already have the Mojo would this be ideal and how exactly would this work?
Personally I wouldn't go with the Multibit DAC card. If you _MUST_ have a built-in dac, go with the new ESS module in the Lyr. The Multibit DAC module is long in the tooth and will eventually be upgraded to Unisom with USB-C. In a perfect world, you would get an external DAC like the Bifrost (my preference) or Denafrips Ares eventually.

Aug 23, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #4,710 of 11,944
Personally I wouldn't go with the Multibit DAC card. If you _MUST_ have a built-in dac, go with the new ESS module in the Lyr. The Multibit DAC module is long in the tooth and will eventually be upgraded to Unisom with USB-C. In a perfect world, you would get an external DAC like the Bifrost (my preference) or Denafrips Ares eventually.
100$ less fine by me :sweat_smile: Alright I see what you're saying, the USB Unison is a better option for a built in DAC.
I plan on going with an amp with a built in dac anyway, but could you possibly clarify the Mojo/Lyr combo I saw someone mention they're using with the Arya...both are amps with built in dacs already, how exactly would that pairing work and do you think it would be a good one (I already own a Mojo so if I could still get some use out of it that would be fantastic)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back