HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #4,711 of 11,883
100$ less fine by me :sweat_smile: Alright I see what you're saying, the USB Unison is a better option for a built in DAC.
I plan on going with an amp with a built in dac anyway, but could you possibly clarify the Mojo/Lyr combo I saw someone mention they're using with the Arya...both are amps with built in dacs already, how exactly would that pairing work and do you think it would be a good one (I already own a Mojo so if I could still get some use out of it that would be fantastic)?
You could definitely get a 3.5mm -> RCA cable to go from the MOJO to Lyr input. You'd want to probably have the mojo at max volume in this case. That would save you another $100 for not having to buy the DAC module for the Lyr, but obviously a little more 'fussy' of a solution :)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #4,712 of 11,883
Does the Lyr 3 have a USB port so it can easily be hooked up to my Mac like the Mojo does? Also would you say the Multibit DAC is the optimal module to go with for the Arya?
Edit: Also going to go ahead and state that I don't have the best knowledge on headphone dac/amps right now. I saw someone mentioning that use USB audio to their Mojo and then to the Lyr 3...since I already have the Mojo would this be ideal and how exactly would this work?
Lyr 3 can be configured as an all-in-one with a DAC module or as a standalone amplifier without a built in DAC. Schiit's built in DAC modules are known to be good for convenience sake, but they do not stand up performance-wise to their standalone DACs. I wouldn't bother with the multibit card, if you want the DAC add-in just get the regular delta-sigma DAC card, then you can upgrade to a standalone multibit DAC down the road.

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #4,713 of 11,883
You could definitely get a 3.5mm -> RCA cable to go from the MOJO to Lyr input. You'd want to probably have the mojo at max volume in this case. That would save you another $100 for not having to buy the DAC module for the Lyr, but obviously a little more 'fussy' of a solution :)
Yea that doesn't exactly the most apt solution haha.
Lyr 3 can be configured as an all-in-one with a DAC module or as a standalone amplifier without a built in DAC. Schiit's built in DAC modules are known to be good for convenience sake, but they do not stand up performance-wise to their standalone DACs. I wouldn't bother with the multibit card, if you want the DAC add-in just get the regular delta-sigma DAC card, then you can upgrade to a standalone multibit DAC down the road.
So I think this what I'm going to go with. Is the ES9028 the regular delta-signma DAC you're referring to? Probably not going to upgrade to a standalone multibit for awhile however would the Modius or the Bifrost be the ideal DAC to look at when I get to that point of wanting an upgrade for the Lyr?

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #4,714 of 11,883
So I think this what I'm going to go with. Is the ES9028 the regular delta-signma DAC you're referring to? Probably not going to upgrade to a standalone multibit for awhile however would the Modius or the Bifrost be the ideal DAC to look at when I get to that point of wanting an upgrade for the Lyr?
Yes, the ES9028 is their current delta-sigma DAC chip.

Whether you prefer delta-sigma (Modius) or multibit (Bifrost) is up to you. They're both good and have different strengths. Delta-sigma DACs (basically anything that isn't multibit or r2r) tend to be sharper and have greater detail, while multibit/r2r tends to have a more organic sound with better separation & euphony. Fwiw, Bifrost 2 is one of the best reviewed and most universally loved devices in all of hifi.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #4,715 of 11,883
Yes, the ES9028 is their current delta-sigma DAC chip.

Whether you prefer delta-sigma (Modius) or multibit (Bifrost) is up to you. They're both good and have different strengths. Delta-sigma DACs (basically anything that isn't multibit or r2r) tend to be sharper and have greater detail, while multibit/r2r tends to have a more organic sound with better separation & euphony. Fwiw, Bifrost 2 is one of the best reviewed and most universally loved devices in all of hifi.
So I'm about to put in my order, Lyr 3 with the ES9028 DAC. I just wanted to confirm that it will arrive with a USB port...will that be all I need to hook up to my desktop and then plug in the Arya and I'll be good to go or do I also need to purchase RCA cables as well? Thanks again, you and everyone here have been a big help! :beerchug:

Aug 24, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #4,716 of 11,883
So I'm about to put in my order, Lyr 3 with the ES9028 DAC. I just wanted to confirm that it will arrive with a USB port...will that be all I need to hook up to my desktop and then plug in the Arya and I'll be good to go or do I also need to purchase RCA cables as well? Thanks again, you and everyone here have been a big help! :beerchug:
Yes it will 👍🏻

Come with a usb port I mean

And no, no RCA cables needed. Just plug and play!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #4,717 of 11,883
Man, man,... Late night listening to Arya. Ledisi: You and Me... The vocals and harmonies are just moving on this song. Who says Arya doesn't have a bit of punch. Li'l RnB and Funk for the fun.

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #4,718 of 11,883
These past few days I realized how good the bass really is on the aryas, just for schiits and giggles I eq'd a pretty aggressive high shelf on bass and hooked it up to a tube buffer with bass control and cranked it up expecting it to distort like a mofo and it actually took it like a champ, I let a few people listen to it and everyone started laughing immediately because you could feel the bass pounding in you chest. I wish I had a measuring rid to see how high the bass got

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #4,719 of 11,883
I realise this is an unusual comparison request but has anyone here had the opportunity to compare the Arya with the T60 Argon?

I have the argons and a lot my research on the Aryas reminds me of how I experience the Argons but with a couple of differences... (Argon sound is more wide than tall and more elevated in mid-bass but still has good sub-bass extension and and sparkly highs.)

Interested to hear a real life comparison if possible.

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #4,720 of 11,883
I realise this is an unusual comparison request but has anyone here had the opportunity to compare the Arya with the T60 Argon?

I have the argons and a lot my research on the Aryas reminds me of how I experience the Argons but with a couple of differences... (Argon sound is more wide than tall and more elevated in mid-bass but still has good sub-bass extension and and sparkly highs.)

Interested to hear a real life comparison if possible.
I only have the Mayflower modded T50rp mk3s. They're put up in my bedroom closet. Man I have to do something with these other cans that're just hanging around.

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #4,721 of 11,883
These past few days I realized how good the bass really is on the aryas, just for schiits and giggles I eq'd a pretty aggressive high shelf on bass and hooked it up to a tube buffer with bass control and cranked it up expecting it to distort like a mofo and it actually took it like a champ, I let a few people listen to it and everyone started laughing immediately because you could feel the bass pounding in you chest. I wish I had a measuring rid to see how high the bass got
Bass cannon subwoofer EQ, haha. I'm in a no EQ phase right now with my Arya. Straight, no (EQ) chaser. Learning how the Gustard amp's SQ changes after it gets warm. Soundstage expands and transparency increases after the outer case gets hot. I don't know if the heat is ultimately good or bad but it sounds good.

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #4,722 of 11,883
Bass cannon subwoofer EQ, haha. I'm in a no EQ phase right now with my Arya. Straight, no (EQ) chaser. Learning how the Gustard amp's SQ changes after it gets warm. Soundstage expands and transparency increases after the outer case gets hot. I don't know if the heat is ultimately good or bad but it sounds good.
Its a normal thing with class A amps, the gsx mini sounds a bit thin before warm up but after is just amazing. The same thing happened with the violectric 281 and singxer sa-1

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #4,723 of 11,883
Anyone ever messed with HQ Player? https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

GoldenSound mentioned it in a review of the Holo May (timestamp YT link). It is basically a media player that can do upsampling. GoldenSound equates it to a software version of an M-Scaler. It has quite a bit of filters to play and tweak. I used this config with my A90/D90 setup.

I did an hour of A/B testing last night using 44.1kHz FLAC files with foobar and HQ Player. HQ Player upsampled the files to 768kHz and definitely put out a smoother presentation and tamed some of sibilance and brightness I was getting with Foobar. It was like a thin layer of vasoline on the lens of the microscope that is the A90/D90. I look forward to doing more testing (particularly with the sync mx filter GoldenSound mentioned) and deciding if I want to purchase a license.

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #4,724 of 11,883
Anyone ever messed with HQ Player? https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

GoldenSound mentioned it in a review of the Holo May (timestamp YT link). It is basically a media player that can do upsampling. GoldenSound equates it to a software version of an M-Scaler. It has quite a bit of filters to play and tweak. I used this config with my A90/D90 setup.

I did an hour of A/B testing last night using 44.1kHz FLAC files with foobar and HQ Player. HQ Player upsampled the files to 768kHz and definitely put out a smoother presentation and tamed some of sibilance and brightness I was getting with Foobar. It was like a thin layer of vasoline on the lens of the microscope that is the A90/D90. I look forward to doing more testing (particularly with the sync mx filter GoldenSound mentioned) and deciding if I want to purchase a license.
I just tried it, Does not remove that Horrid Cymbal glare the D90 has (filter 1 or 3 I forget & to hard to check without remote, but both do it anyway). But I agree with the statement did seem to put a smoother presentation, even slightly more on DSD output vs foobar with was more natural/True to recording.
I think what i took away from the test was I need a R2R Dac.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back