HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
May 23, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #3,796 of 11,943
to be honest I can't stand arya in many recordings some of them get better in well mastered music but also not forgiving in other music the sibilance percing my ears. I tried eq it but it did not work(iam noob in eq I just took others eq profile). I don't know if another solid amp will give me the forgiving warmth like the tubes. so iam thinking to buy another headphone and I have my eyes in the hd650.

You are describing the flaw that the Arya possesses.
It has a upper FR glare issue, that keeps it from being as wonderful as most are led to believe by reviews.
Josh V and Andrew at the Headphone show, both worship the Arya, and i can't do that, but i can recognize that for many people this set of headphones is going to make them dance and praise.

LIke the Ananda, there is a bit of dry tonality combined with this glare that some hear, and some don't.
If you hear it, you will be bothered by it, so, just get something else as you can't resolve it by buying 100 different amps trying to hide it.
The Arya is not alone. Abyss has this same issue, and other Planar's have it.
More than likely its related to Planar Driver Technology.
Planars tend to glare, tend to be dry, tend to sound metallic, and often sound plasticy.
The flip side is that nothing sounds as good as a good set of Planar's.

A.) Nothing is perfect, so, you just have to find what works for you, and enjoy your gear while putting up with flaws.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #3,798 of 11,943
You are describing the flaw that the Arya possesses.
It has a upper FR glare issue, that keeps it from being as wonderful as most are led to believe by reviews.
Josh V and Andrew at the Headphone show, both worship the Arya, and i can't do that, but i can recognize that for many people this set of headphones is going to make them dance and praise.

LIke the Ananda, there is a bit of dry tonality combined with this glare that some hear, and some don't.
If you hear it, you will be bothered by it, so, just get something else as you can't resolve it by buying 100 different amps trying to hide it.
The Arya is not alone. Abyss has this same issue, and other Planar's have it.
More than likely its related to Planar Driver Technology.
Planars tend to glare, tend to be dry, tend to sound metallic, and often sound plasticy.
The flip side is that nothing sounds as good as a good set of Planar's.

A.) Nothing is perfect, so, you just have to find what works for you, and enjoy your gear while putting up with flaws.
everyone has different preferences and ears. I kept resist and tried to accept the sound because I like other features in the headphone( also I spent so much money in it lol) but I can't handle the highs so I think I should buy another headphone which is warm and smooth . arya really not always bothering me it is good in well mastered music and some movies- video games.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #3,799 of 11,943
everyone has different preferences and ears. I kept resist and tried to accept the sound because I like other features in the headphone( also I spent so much money in it lol) but I can't handle the highs so I think I should buy another headphone which is warm and smooth . arya really not always bothering me it is good in well mastered music and some movies- video games.

I reviewed the Arya here on HF, and i gave it a very good review, even tho it does not really work for my ears, as i had hoped.
But i could hear that most planar lovers, most Highfiman owners, or similar who have enjoyed the HEK's and the Edition Xv2, were going to really like the Arya as it offers a lot of sonic value for the money.
But, some are going to be stung by that FR glare, and that's one of the reasons you see a lot of Arya's "for sale".
Its a good gear, but, no single set of headphones is going to work for all ears.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #3,801 of 11,943
to be honest I can't stand arya in many recordings some of them get better in well mastered music but also not forgiving in other music the sibilance percing my ears. I tried eq it but it did not work(iam noob in eq I just took others eq profile). I don't know if another solid amp will give me the forgiving warmth like the tubes. so iam thinking to buy another headphone and I have my eyes in the hd6xx.
Arya is magical at times, but it is indeed unforgiving of bad recordings, bad mastering, low compression quality, or just plain bright music. For me Arya works best with electronica or high quality jazz or orchestral.

HD6XX is a legendary headphone, but it's a pretty big step down from Arya. If you want something along those lines that is more on par with Arya technically, take a look at ZMF Auteur.

May 23, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #3,802 of 11,943
There's no one headphone that is for everyone. Even Hifiman has not cracked the code to generating the 'Universally Adored Headphone'. Too many variables. - Amp, DAC, Music, Personal Preferences, Ears, etc. If one is treble sensitive and it cannot be solved through equipment pairing, EQ, etc., then this is likely not the HP of choice. It doesn't mean others cannot enjoy it or that it is fundamentally flawed more than other headphones. They're all flawed to some extent - just in different areas that might be more tolerable to some than others.

I'm quite fond of my Arya v1 and I've been the Sundara and Ananda route. Arya beats them both, IMHO. But then again, I'm a 'boomer' and we don't know what we're talking about. 😄

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #3,803 of 11,943
For me, Arya needs to a bump in the 1.5K region and a dip in 3K, 5K and 7.5K - that is what I needed to do to liven up the vocals and reduce the treble. I echo the notion that Arya does best with electronica, jazz, soundtracks, orchestral - anything that needs space and layering.

May 23, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #3,804 of 11,943
Arya is magical at times, but it is indeed unforgiving of bad recordings, bad mastering, low compression quality, or just plain bright music. For me Arya works best with electronica or high quality jazz or orchestral.

HD6XX is a legendary headphone, but it's a pretty big step down from Arya. If you want something along those lines that is more on par with Arya technically, take a look at ZMF Auteur.
I will not repeat the same mistake that I did with arya iam gonna start slowly and discover the tonality which suit me with good headphones with reasonable prices then maybe I will upgrade.

May 24, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #3,806 of 11,943
Hii everyone

I have arya now for maybe 10 months I use it balanced with topping A90/D90.

I have problem with it. it is really sibilance to my ears and really makes me fatigue fast. I don't know if there is solution for it or iam gonna buy warm headphone.
EQ or get a warmer sounding amplifier. Also stay away from "the cheapest" silver plated headphone cables. Recording quality of music has a part to play also. I got a warmer amp and sometimes EQ.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #3,807 of 11,943
Truthfully a headphone does not care whether it's balanced or not. Balanced matters most between DAC and amp. I have a more detailed explanation here:

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/is-balanced-better-pros-cons-of-balanced-vs-single-ended/21905

All I can say is that even affordable products can sound great if they're designed as balanced designs.

But to a headphone, the signals look the same whether balanced or SE. It's the amp that cares whether it's balanced or not.

Yup.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 24, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #3,808 of 11,943
There's no one headphone that is for everyone. Even Hifiman has not cracked the code to generating the 'Universally Adored Headphone'. Too many variables. - Amp, DAC, Music, Personal Preferences, Ears, etc. If one is treble sensitive and it cannot be solved through equipment pairing, EQ, etc., then this is likely not the HP of choice. It doesn't mean others cannot enjoy it or that it is fundamentally flawed more than other headphones. They're all flawed to some extent - just in different areas that might be more tolerable to some than others.

I'm quite fond of my Arya v1 and I've been the Sundara and Ananda route. Arya beats them both, IMHO. But then again, I'm a 'boomer' and we don't know what we're talking about. 😄
Where in our opinion does the Ananda sit in terms of sound quality compared to sundara and arya? Which one is it closer to?

May 24, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #3,809 of 11,943
EQ or get a warmer sounding amplifier. Also stay away from cheaper silver plated headphone cables. Recording quality of music has a part to play also. I got a warmer amp and EQ sometimes.
I will just buy another headphone which is more forgiving and warm i think it is better than spending in another amp which might not reach my expectations. and keep arya for well mastered music-movies-video games. you know one headphone can't do everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back