HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
May 24, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #3,811 of 11,881
I really don't care to convince you for a better experience of music and against your will.
If you want to believe that cables don’t deliver better sound, great, you’ll save money
If you believe that if you have Susvara and power it with a 2000e system and you think you have TOTL sound, great, you will save money
My point is that Arya has the potential like few headphones, and until you have an adequate system for them, there is no reason to buy other headphones, but to get into a better DAC and a better amp

May 24, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #3,812 of 11,881
May 24, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #3,813 of 11,881
Why Arya has great potential
IMO;
It has a large stage in all dimensions and they are sensitive to what goes into them
-DAC-transfers from digital form what is transferred from analog to digital, -better DAC, more faithful transmission, poorer DAC less transmission
-AMP-gives a certain signal the required volume, -better AMP, truer sound, poorer AMP, crackling or pale sound
-Cables-I won't say anything about them, except that they are an equally important component
And of course the track record density
Idon't know if it can be simpler than this
so at least I see the system
Sound has its way in the stage, and Arya owns it

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #3,814 of 11,881
IMO;
It has a large stage in all dimensions and they are sensitive to what goes into them
-DAC-transfers from digital form what is transferred from analog to digital, -better DAC, more faithful transmission, poorer DAC less transmission
-AMP-gives a certain signal the required volume, -better AMP, truer sound, poorer AMP, crackling or pale sound
-Cables-I won't say anything about them, except that they are an equally important component
So you know
IMO;
IMO;
Do you know the specs of the wires used inside the Arya?

May 24, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #3,818 of 11,881
I didn't get informed about it, because I won't be bothered much.
In the end, I can't influence that with upgrades.
You did not answer me - what is the reason of your question?
Now that you answered my question I will answer yours, but with another question 😬

If the wires used inside a headphone are not it par or of less quality of the headphone cable you are using. Wouldn’t the internal cabling of that particular headphone be the bottle neck in the connection?

May 24, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #3,820 of 11,881
All the way up to that line, the sound quality can be raised, and really replacing those wires inside the cup for high quality wires would almost certainly (it's just my guess based on a jump in quality by changing the wires outside) improve the sound.
But I believe that the HFM team are not ignorant in that field, and that quality wires have been placed inside the cup.
After all, you can check my claim about wires very cheaply, buy the cheapest cable that fits Arya, and compare it with Arya stock cable
I could make the same argument regarding the stock headphone cables that come with the Arya and in that case I would have to change them at all.

May 25, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #3,822 of 11,881
^ Alot of them say the Aryas are hard to drive, but I'm not buying that honestly. Use balanced cables. The current is always stronger on those.

Get yourself an adapter or aftermarker cable and boom. Suddenly the Aryas aren't hard to drive anymore. This is something even I know and I don't have anything of the sort. I'd say I'm really lucky to have come across the Arya. Thank you, Josh.
Yeah i noticed i was able to use the Ayras with the ES100 Bluetooth dac amp with the Sennhiser adaptor 6.5 to 3.5. I was shocked. This is the first listen method when i opened the box.

May 25, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #3,823 of 11,881
Absolutely agree. I address that in the link included. But to a headphone, the signals look the same whether balanced or SE. It's the amp that cares whether it's balanced or not.

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I just started looking at this thread cuz I'm starting to think about getting an Arya.

I feel like the headphone cares in this respect: if you have a fully balanced signal path you have essentially a 4 channel system. At some point you need to difference the + and - phases and my experience is the best place to do that is across the transducer, i.e. at the headphone. I feel like doing it sooner, like at the input or output of the amp loses information. I guess I'm saying I think there is more to balanced than just common mode noise rejection. Of course if the signal isn't balanced all the way to the output of the amp then this is moot, and the headphone doesn't care.

There is also the issue of connectors and I feel like XLR connectors are at least 10 times nicer than RCA, and given a choice would happily use them for unbalanced connections too if it were socially acceptable. All of this is of course JMO, FYI, and YMMV.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #3,824 of 11,881
Oh, did you get the stock HEKv1 pads with your HEKv1's? I see others selling their HEKv1's with the Ultrapads in place rather than the stock pads. Yeah, the old HEKv1 pads used to use velour (similar to that of the focuspad non-pleather bits, no?) rather than fabric material now used in most of their pads (palipads, ultrapads, serenity pads, harmony pads, etc). It would have be nice if someone 3d printed retaining rings (close-up of the rear face of the pads showing the ring here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...-for-a-couple-of-dollars.816442/post-12775964) for the egg-shaped Hifiman line, which right now includes several sku's, so that other pad makers can try their hands in making pads for them. Someone did pad roll the HEKv1's with vegans to good effect according to their ears: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-hifiman-he1000-impressions-thread.767883/#post-11615154

Like I said, the materials used for the Ultrapad and the Serenity pads (the latter being the stock pads of the Arya v2's) are the same. If the Serenity pad fabric material bothers you, I'm afraid that the Ultrapads will also. Personally, I'm not bothered by the materials themselves but rather how less forgiving the cushioning of the Serenity pads that came with my Arya v2's felt compared to the Ultrapads that I received later. I don't know if all of the Serenity pads are like that or mine just came from a bad batch.
Did you notice any soundstage improvements when switching from serenity to ultrapads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back