HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #2,461 of 11,883
I've noticed that the Arya is my most power hungry headphone and while my SP200 has plenty of power with 3 watts at 32ohm I still think I'm going to get another amp.

I'm looking at a couple from Schiit like the Lyr or Asgard because I think I want a class A amp. I can't rule out the very powerful A90 either and I like that it's balanced as well. I'm in no rush so if anyone uses an amp that sounds good with the Arya let me know.

3 watt should be powerful enough, if you feed at least 3 volt input power (I think even 2V input power still sufficient). Unless you want something change in term of sound character or quality.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #2,462 of 11,883
Yeah, the 3 watts is plenty I'm just wanting to get a class A amp for a different flavor to my SP200. I think a good class A amp would give off a rich sound that would complement the sound of the Arya. I love the SP200 but I just want to hear something a little different from time to time.

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #2,463 of 11,883
I've noticed that the Arya is my most power hungry headphone and while my SP200 has plenty of power with 3 watts at 32ohm I still think I'm going to get another amp.

I'm looking at a couple from Schiit like the Lyr or Asgard because I think I want a class A amp. I can't rule out the very powerful A90 either and I like that it's balanced as well. I'm in no rush so if anyone uses an amp that sounds good with the Arya let me know.
I still have Arya and used to own SP200 and many other mid range amps. Arya is power hungury and sound dull with less power amp. It also sound too bright with amp like sp200 or iha6. iha-6 with idac6 drive Arya much better compare to iha-6 on itself feeding by a dac. I guess the tube output phase in idac6 helped. I'm currently driving them with Ygg-Violectric v280 and not happy with the sound. It's a warmer sound (very easy to listen to) but I think it's about the same (or worse) as iha-dac6 combo. I've heared Goldenwave GAX Evo or Headamp gsx mk2 pair with Arya really well. They are around 10w class A. I think Arya need a powerful amp with warm signature imo. You can look into Aune S7 pro which is around 400USD. I had that amp for couple months and it pairs well with Arya. Hope it helps.

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #2,465 of 11,883
Yeah, the 3 watts is plenty I'm just wanting to get a class A amp for a different flavor to my SP200. I think a good class A amp would give off a rich sound that would complement the sound of the Arya. I love the SP200 but I just want to hear something a little different from time to time.

Arya's are more than incisive enough to clearly show the difference between Class A and AB. Details like harmonics are just richer and more defined. Careful with the bass - sometimes low watt Class A's forget the bass - esp in pre-amps w/ passive pre-amps.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #2,466 of 11,883
Does anyone have any impressions of how the newer Schiit Magnius and/or Modius amp and DAC pairs with or drives the Aryas. Any are welcome to respond.
I have this exact setup running in balanced. The Magnius powers the Arya with ease. I haven't tried other amps and am personally not a believer in significant differences between sufficiently powerful (and sufficiently quiet) amps, but they sound good, so take from that what you will lol.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #2,468 of 11,883
Same setup for me and they sound great. What do you mean when you say "personally not a believer in significant differences between sufficiently powerful (and sufficiently quiet) amps"?

I have this exact setup running in balanced. The Magnius powers the Arya with ease. I haven't tried other amps and am personally not a believer in significant differences between sufficiently powerful (and sufficiently quiet) amps, but they sound good, so take from that what you will lol.

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #2,469 of 11,883
Same setup for me and they sound great. What do you mean when you say "personally not a believer in significant differences between sufficiently powerful (and sufficiently quiet) amps"?
Basically once you have a sufficiently powerful and sufficiently quiet (low distortion, low noise) amp with whatever features/inputs/outputs you require or want, there is not much difference in sound quality.

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #2,470 of 11,883
Basically once you have a sufficiently powerful and sufficiently quiet (low distortion, low noise) amp with whatever features/inputs/outputs you require or want, there is not much difference in sound quality.
[/QUOTE

OK, sufficiently powerful is a must.

Before Modius/Magnius, I used Calyx M --> IFI Xcan (1 Watt @ 32 ohm) --> Arya and even if they sounded loud now is a different story ...

Sep 24, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #2,471 of 11,883
Can anyone here compare the HEX V2 to the Ayra?
I remember owning the HEK V2 and eventually sold it because what I was hearing just felt too soft, as in not enough physicality and/or grunt to the sound.

Sep 24, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #2,472 of 11,883
Depends on the resolution of the headphones, no?

Sep 24, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #2,473 of 11,883

I use Arya with Questyle 400i, its pretty solid...!

Sep 24, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #2,474 of 11,883
Depends on the resolution of the headphones, no?
In my opinion, not really, past the fact that higher resolution headphones may pick up hiss and noise more readily and/or need more power.

Sep 24, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2,475 of 11,883
In my opinion, not really, past the fact that higher resolution headphones may pick up hiss and noise more readily and/or need more power.
I can't agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back