HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #2,477 of 11,868
Sep 26, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #2,478 of 11,868
I am looking for some recommendation on 4.4mm balanced cable for Arya from Aliexpress fully copper or silver plated etc planing to use it with Topping A90, budget is flexible but AE is good value for money IMHO :0)

Sep 26, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #2,479 of 11,868
I am looking for some recommendation on 4.4mm balanced cable for Arya from Aliexpress fully copper or silver plated etc planing to use it with Topping A90, budget is flexible but AE is good value for money IMHO :0)
Personally I would stick with high quality copper...

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #2,480 of 11,868
I have this exact setup running in balanced. The Magnius powers the Arya with ease. I haven't tried other amps and am personally not a believer in significant differences between sufficiently powerful (and sufficiently quiet) amps, but they sound good, so take from that what you will lol.
I bought the Modius/Magnius stack at the same time but the Modius was delayed shipping for about a week. I ran Magnius balanced with SMSL m300 mk ii DAC. It had very bad distortion and clipping in both gain settings and could not get loud at all without distortion. Really couldn't get loud at all. I switched back to D30, same results. I believe the amp was defective so I sent it back, still waiting on the replacement. My Emotiva a100 sounded much better.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #2,481 of 11,868
I bought the Modius/Magnius stack at the same time but the Modius was delayed shipping for about a week. I ran Magnius balanced with SMSL m300 mk ii DAC. It had very bad distortion and clipping in both gain settings and could not get loud at all without distortion. Really couldn't get loud at all. I switched back to D30, same results. I believe the amp was defective so I sent it back, still waiting on the replacement. My Emotiva a100 sounded much better.
Sounds like you got a defective unit. It happens. Not sure what bearing that has on an evaluation of the stack’s performance.

Sep 27, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #2,482 of 11,868
Took Arya out on my evening walk, surprisingly it's quite portable despite being told it isn't.
Only thing is it's been windy recently so the past two days at certain spots along the track I could hear the drivers crackling.
I assume this is being of the planar driver as I had no issue when I owned focal clear.
Is this crackling likely damaging the cans and could it be dust hitting the magnets and getting zapped?

Sep 28, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #2,483 of 11,868
Took Arya out on my evening walk, surprisingly it's quite portable despite being told it isn't.
Only thing is it's been windy recently so the past two days at certain spots along the track I could hear the drivers crackling.
I assume this is being of the planar driver as I had no issue when I owned focal clear.
Is this crackling likely damaging the cans and could it be dust hitting the magnets and getting zapped?
Chances are that is the diaphragm flexing while it is being acted on by the magnets, its also likely to be airborne particles hitting the diaphragm (the thin material between the magnets with the traces on it). Both of those things aren't great for the driver at all, and even worse if its humid. I would suggest as a precaution not to walk around with it when its windy due to the debris hitting the stator and potentially damaging it.

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #2,484 of 11,868
Can anyone here compare the HEX V2 to the Ayra?
I remember owning the HEK V2 and eventually sold it because what I was hearing just felt too soft, as in not enough physicality and/or grunt to the sound.

Are you talking about the Hifiman Edition X v2??
I own both: Arya is considerably more difficult to drive, more detailed, less warm/more neutral, way more sub bass extension, more airy, massive soundstage, better imagining, better suited for EQ tuning and more punchy/faster sounding... the Arya really deserves a powerful amp: The topping A90 (using a balanced cable) is reasonably priced. A good amp is essential and has massive impact on Arya's bass/transients/dynamics/pace. The Arya responds really well to EQ in Roon for instance: I do this with an 3db bass shelf at 90hz and a 2.5 db gain around 2khz... after that the sound is pretty much perfect: faster/punchier and a crapload of PraT, speed and grunt without loosing any Arya/hifiman qualities. Absolutely killer.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #2,485 of 11,868
Yeah, the 3 watts is plenty I'm just wanting to get a class A amp for a different flavor to my SP200. I think a good class A amp would give off a rich sound that would complement the sound of the Arya. I love the SP200 but I just want to hear something a little different from time to time.

Consider to trail the Topping A90 using a balanced cable: I came from the SP200, the A90 blew me away: this is my endgame for now. It is not just me: all Arya/A90 owners I have seen on this forum and elsewhere, seem to have exactly the same experience. Search this forum on Arya & A90, you will see why :))) Good luck

Sep 29, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #2,486 of 11,868
Personally I would stick with high quality copper...

Like this one: GUcraftsman balanced Cable on Aliexpress? :) This cable easily outperformed my 260 euro balanced cable from Portento Audio (italy). AE sells a lot of crap, but most surely also has amazing VFM examples, especially for Audiophile cables/adapters etc... GUcraftsman is a true gem imho.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #2,487 of 11,868
Like this one: GUcraftsman balanced Cable on Aliexpress? :) This cable easily outperformed my 260 euro balanced cable from Portento Audio (italy). AE sells a lot of crap, but most surely also has amazing VFM examples, especially for Audiophile cables/adapters etc... GUcraftsman is a true gem imho.
I can't see the link. If your going to invest in a $1,600 headphone, at least match it with the best cable to get the most out of it. You get what you pay for. Expensive cables are expensive for a reason. It is very difficult and expensive process to work with those metals and preserve that purity throughout the manufacturing process, to name but a few.

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #2,488 of 11,868
I can't see the link. If your going to invest in a $1,600 headphone, at least match it with the best cable to get the most out of it. You get what you pay for. Expensive cables are expensive for a reason. It is very difficult and expensive process to work with those metals and preserve that purity throughout the manufacturing process, to name but a few.
Yeah but as long as the cables are functional they don’t change the sound... so, no, unless they are microphonic, too long/short, or aren’t pretty enough there’s no real reason to invest in expensive cables for the sake of matching expensive equipment with expensive equipment.

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #2,489 of 11,868
Yeah but as long as the cables are functional they don’t change the sound... so, no, unless they are microphonic, too long/short, or aren’t pretty enough there’s no real reason to invest in expensive cables for the sake of matching expensive equipment with expensive equipment.
This sort of closed-minded thinking is what holds people back from making progress. Cable deniers are about on par with flat earthers but extremely more vocal.

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #2,490 of 11,868
Yes but they will sound MUCH better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back