HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #2,296 of 11,923
You will not be disappointed stepping up into the Arya unless your system is very bright. At that price you will be set for a number of years before you will have to risk obsolescence.
PC > Tidal Hifi > Topping D30 DAC > Aiyima tube hybrid preamp (w/ modded tubes and opamps) > Emotiva BASX A-100 as amp. I describe the system as sounding neutral-warmish overall, with just a dash of delicacy and soundstage width (w/ tubes, opamps). I can also EQ if I wish (EQ Apo), though I don't really use eq much with cans. Not high end, but powerful enough and decently good sounding considering the overall price of the components.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #2,297 of 11,923
All type except rap and metal. Lately been listening more techno pop, orchestra, and lo fi beats. If I were to choose a track my ears were bleeding the most, it'd be Transistor - The Spine.

Btw, how do you tell if you got the V1 or V2? I'll dig through the thread a bit, but anyone know of the top of their head or can link me a past comment? Thank you!
I went straight from a secondhand burned-in Arya v1 to a brand new Arya v2. I was quite surprised with the change of the v2's sound:

My impressions of the v2 vis-a-vis the v1 over time:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-arya-impressions-thread.890421/post-15755609
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-arya-impressions-thread.890421/post-15783256
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-arya-impressions-thread.890421/post-15802434

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #2,299 of 11,923
want to know if someone have simmilar problem becouse I want to buy A90/D90 to and Im listening very loud

for me personally it is loud enough and very good but I expected it to be louder. in my case I can in high gain and max volume listen to music without feeling it is sever loudness that I should to turn the volume down. but sure Can't listen to this loudness for a long time. for me the headphone is so enjoyable in high gain 3 o'clock and above volume. and noticed the sound become very smooth in highs and warmish before I can't reach this loudness without painful harsh highs I think the amp really did a great job with the headphone+ burning the headphone.

maybe the problem in my cable or iam a person who likes very high sounds which other people find it not pleasent I don't know because a lot of A90/D90 not had the same issue.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #2,300 of 11,923

Attachments

• IMG_20200819_003337~2.jpg
    IMG_20200819_003337~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 19, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #2,301 of 11,923
Wasn't bad for me. While we're at it, here is one that kills my left ear Jun Mayuzumi - Black Room
Sounds about the same to me haha, as in a tad bit too bright with my now burned in Arya.

How does Arya sound with orchestral music to you?
Beautiful. Sorry not much of a analytical guy. I guess I can put it the other way around in terms of complaints. I feel bass kick is lacking. I can hear the bass, but it doesn't rumble my head at all like the Sundaras do. Still for a daily driver I much prefer the Arya's. The head rumbling from the Sundara's fatigues me too much to use as daily's. The Arya's don't fatigue at all except playing tracks that triggers sharp trebles (which most of my orchestras track don't exhibit).

EDIT:
I'm using an Audinst HUD-MX2 dac/amp combo on high gain. A unit that's quite a bit cheaper compared to other dac and amps setups I'm seeing throughout the thread. Maybe that's contributing to the lack of bass kick, no idea.

I went straight from a secondhand burned-in Arya v1 to a brand new Arya v2. I was quite surprised with the change of the v2's sound:

My impressions of the v2 vis-a-vis the v1 over time:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-arya-impressions-thread.890421/post-15755609
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-arya-impressions-thread.890421/post-15783256
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-arya-impressions-thread.890421/post-15802434
Awesome! Good to know I won't be missing anything having the V2.

Can you take a pic of the foam over the magnets for the V2?
Here you go:
UBekEAl.jpg

YKRYKNT.jpg

sYplUys.jpg

I think this is a V2. My unit has 2020 July 7th stamped on the box and warranty card. I think that's the date it was produced.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #2,302 of 11,923
Just wanted to chime in, got myself a brand new Arya after trying it out at a headphone store. My unit had insanely sharp trebles, where it was hurting my ears at even half my normal listening volume. Burned it in for roughly 42 hours, playing my music collection at roughly 10% over my max comfortable volume. Seemed to have helped, still a tad bit too bright, but at least I can enjoy music with it now. Hopefully it goes away either by more burn in or my brain adapting to it

I'm in Taiwan, the cheapest I found it online was $1200 including shipping. I got it for $1300 at a local store as warranty repair was simpler.
It requires exactly 170 hours to sound as good as it can be. Anytime before that, the Arya sounds harsh and strident, and should not be judged.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #2,303 of 11,923
I’d made the decision to buy an Arya today only to discovered that my dealer only had a 2018 stamped Arya available.

I know of the update and hesitated. It doesn’t seem definitive which is ‘better’. Should I wait for new stock made this year or just buy the V1? Does it really matter that much?

Someone else told me the V1 is rare and to buy it. They had a V1 demo in store which sounded good to me, hence my deciding to buy, but I would be happy to wait for V2 stock if that is considered the wisest move.

I’m unsure what month they began the V2, so it’d be very helpful if someone could answer that for me also.

Thanks.
My Arya were also stamped as 2018 Manufactured, but they are indeed the version 2. You can check my posted pics or my profile pic to confirm. I guess Hifiman may have silently revised all models regardless of MFD, which were in stock with them.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #2,304 of 11,923
The Arya does sound bright with songs having a quick pace with a lot of treble elements. Also if your song file is of a lower record quality (OR) small sized file, then of course that will also contribute to the sibilance.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #2,305 of 11,923
How does Arya sound with orchestral music to you?
Arya sounds deep, with a tall sound. It isn't necessarily wide from L-R, but the Airiness and Space between each instrument and note is simply stunning. It's strange that many owners comment on the width of Soundscape to be large, which I don't think so. For a headphone to be wider than normal, it has to either Angle the driver like the HD800s (OR) Vent the sound exiting the driver to a source other than the main vent, in order to "Spread" the sound outwards, eg. ZMF Verite. So all in all, I guess the Arya does well for orchestral music

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #2,306 of 11,923
My Arya were also stamped as 2018 Manufactured, but they are indeed the version 2. You can check my posted pics or my profile pic to confirm. I guess Hifiman may have silently revised all models regardless of MFD, which were in stock with them.

Interesting. I might see if they can tear open the box!

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #2,309 of 11,923
Interesting, where did you read the 170 hours?
I personally attest to it. 😊. But if you want a real reviewer to say it, read the Headfonics review of the HEK V2. The Author says it requires atleast 200 hours of burn in, to hear how it really sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back