HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #2,041 of 11,915
Hello!!!

this is my first time commenting here (sorry about my English grammar and spilling) I am so happy that I have arya now for 2 days and it is soo good!! I can't write A detailed impression about it like experts because iam so naive in the audiophile field. I saw many good reviews from youtube and formus about this headphone and it is true!!. to be honest I was scared at first because most reviewers mentioned this headphone is not punchy in the bass and always recommend other headphones instead like focal clear. so for me personally I enjoy the punchy bass in music and also I want good clarity, soundstage, sub bass ..... so when I first tried arya the thing that I was afraid from is happened the punch is really not in the lvl that I really enjoy and all what the reviewers mentioned was right!!! so I searched for Eq files for arya and I find one from oratory 1990 and I applyed just the low-shelf filter frequency(105hz) and I boosted it 6.5 db then omggg the punch is soo good now (I came from dt1990) and I can say the punch is nearly or like dt1990 (from memory so don't take it so seriously because I don't have it now) arya really can punch hard and iam using shciit stack 3( I know this stack is not showing the arya real performance but I was thinking that I will improve my gear after I try the headphone and see If I like it or not) what mad me wondering and scared why always people are complaining about the punchy bass in arya and they don't try to eq it? even some reviewers who really always eq things they didn't mention that. Like the Resolves reviews guy I like his reviews and he is soo good i like his reviews. he mentioned that u can eq lcdx to make it better in some aspects but not mentioned like u can improve the arya in this punch aspect, instead he recommended to buy another headphone like clear( and sorry maybe the punch is different and better in dynamic headphones but I really enjoy it in arya). iam not really try to shade or blame anyone iam just scared is eqing arya and make it punch hard can damage the driver in the long run thats why maybe some people not recommend the eq for it? because iam really enjoying the headphone after the eq make it more punchy and also eq the midrange and make it more forward. the problem what I have with arya is the clamping force it is soo annoying for me is this clamping will decrease with use? because it is really a deal breaker for me and I hope it will decrease because I love this headphone.

Edit: now I understand something I was confused between punch and sub bass vibrations. this headphone is very good in vibrations and not punchy it not punch hard. some people will like that the decent punch and some people will prefer dynamics headphones more with hard punching.

Edit 2: after try it with A90/D90 amp - dac with balanced cable it reallyyy punch very good with very good subass to my taste loveee itt( I sometimes eq and increase the low shelf felter 1 or 2 db only)
. the thing that I hate still even after one month of using arya is comfort. clamping force is really causing headache for me If I use it more than 1-2 hours really I wish If I can find a solution for it and earpads are stiff and with time it become softer but still not comfortable because of the clamping force.

Edit 3: If u feel the vocals and mids recessed EQ it with Oratory file https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpakp0jc4deruwr/Hifiman Arya (RME ADI-2 preset).pdf?dl=0

it really enhanced the vocals and make them more alive for me personally because I like vocals to be forward and not behind the instruments. I don't put low-shelf frequencies(100hz) in 5.5db because I already have powerful A90/D90 and this combo already boost the bass so If I increase the lower shelf to 5.5 db it will cause distortion I only increase it 1-3 db.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #2,042 of 11,915
Hello!!!

this is my first time commenting here (sorry about my English grammar and spilling) I am so happy that I have arya now for 2 days and it is soo good!! I can't write A detailed impression about it like experts because iam so naive in the audiophile field. I saw many good reviews from youtube and formus about this headphone and it is true!!. to be honest I was scared at first because most reviewers mentioned this headphone is not punchy in the bass and always recommend other headphones instead like focal clear. so for me personally I enjoy the punchy bass in music and also I want good clarity, soundstage, sub bass ..... so when I first tried arya the thing that I was afraid from is happened the punch is really not in the lvl that I really enjoy and all what the reviewers mentioned was right!!! so I searched for Eq files for arya and I find one from oratory 1990 and I applyed just the low-shelf filter frequency(105hz) and I boosted it 6.5 db then omggg the punch is soo good now (I came from dt1990) and I can say the punch is like dt1990 or even better (from memory so don't take it so seriously because I don't have it now) arya really can punch hard and iam using shciit stack 3( I know this stack is not showing the arya real performance but I was thinking that I will improve my gear after I try the headphone and see If I like it or not) what mad me wondering and scared why always people are complaining about the punchy bass in arya and they don't try to eq it? even some reviewers who really always eq things they didn't mention that. Like the Resolves reviews guy I like his reviews and he is soo good i like his reviews. he mentioned that u can eq lcdx to make it better in some aspects but not mentioned like u can improve the arya in this punch aspect, instead he recommended to buy another headphone like clear( and sorry maybe the punch is different and better in dynamic headphones but I really enjoy it in arya). iam not really try to shade or blame anyone iam just scared is eqing arya and make it punch hard can damage the driver in the long run thats why most people not recommend the eq for it? because iam really enjoying the headphone after the eq make it more punchy and make the midrange more forward. the problem what I have with arya is the clamping force it is soo annoying for me is this clamping will decrease with use? because it is really a deal breaker for me and I hope it will decrease because I love this headphone.
I think sound is a very subjective thing. An amount of punch which is low for me is maybe good for someone else. From my experience (I have been using these for like a month now) Arya reacts very well to EQ. You can very easily EQ it to your liking. I boost bass by around 3.5 db in bass region. Boosting it higher to something like 5 did made the punch better in songs which rely on bass to sound good but it made other songs sound unnatural.
I have seen people say that if you don't like the freq. response of a headphone then you should go for a headphone which suits your taste. I think this argument is only partially correct. There are more things which describe the character of a headphone. Arya's bass sounds "huge". The drivers are huge and they move good amount of air when they move. If I compare it to my experience with HD 6XX, the bass in 6XX sounds like it is coming from a source. You never "feel" the bass. Arya's bass is more diffused.
EQing Arya (specifically, boosting bass) gives me a perfect headphone suiting my taste.
I will most probably get an LCD-2C to see how much difference is there between a naturally punchier headphone and Arya.

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #2,043 of 11,915
Thanks for your detailed experience! It seems most of the anecdotes and articles I've read match with my current understanding of what the Arya's strengths are over the Focal Clear. This is kind of helping me lean towards the decision that it might not be a good side-grade for the types of music I listen to. But I would still demo them once I get the chance when the pandemic dies down.

Out of curiosity, what made you decide to sell the Arya?
The large ear cups sat right on my jaw line. When I first got them it would actually make my jaw hinge point sore. Over time it got slightly better, but I value comfort above everything. Also to me not use to wide soundstage was cool at first, but I felt like the music was separated to left and right sides too much. The drums were had one side on left and other on right. Threw me off. I always felt like I was analyzing music vs enjoying it. So much going on vs between shoulders. I will say it was crystal clear without being too much. It also had moments that were mind blowing good. Makes you say wow. In the end I want to relax and enjoy music. I enjoy a full sound and felt Arya was lacking sub bass. It had the inital tight punch and then it was gone almost instantaneously. Everyone has different ears and preferences. It is anazing headphone and so far gave me the most wow moments. Just wasn't what I wanted right now. Like I said before I do miss it which is rare and may buy it again if I don't find something to fill the void.

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #2,044 of 11,915
I think sound is a very subjective thing. An amount of punch which is low for me is maybe good for someone else. From my experience (I have been using these for like a month now) Arya reacts very well to EQ. You can very easily EQ it to your liking. I boost bass by around 3.5 db in bass region. Boosting it higher to something like 5 did made the punch better in songs which rely on bass to sound good but it made other songs sound unnatural.
I have seen people say that if you don't like the freq. response of a headphone then you should go for a headphone which suits your taste. I think this argument is only partially correct. There are more things which describe the character of a headphone. Arya's bass sounds "huge". The drivers are huge and they move good amount of air when they move. If I compare it to my experience with HD 6XX, the bass in 6XX sounds like it is coming from a source. You never "feel" the bass. Arya's bass is more diffused.
EQing Arya (specifically, boosting bass) gives me a perfect headphone suiting my taste.
I will most probably get an LCD-2C to see how much difference is there between a naturally punchier headphone and Arya.
For me I didn't notice any changes in the songs just it become more punchy and fun and natural in the same time I think it is like u said it is subjective and everyone have different ears and taste. nice waiting for ur impression with the LCD-2C.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #2,045 of 11,915
Received my Arya v2's today that replaced my Arya v1's which sadly suffered an accident. I have to give thanks to Hifiman for providing great customer support during the replacement process. A few cosmetic things to note. The outward facing and inner facing magnets of the v2's are no longer painted over with black paint; the paint presumably protected them from corrosion or rust. Hifiman may have switched coatings on their magnets to achieve the same protection though.

The pads on the v2's are noticeably thicker and deeper than my secondhand Arya v1's; I don't know how thick the Arya v1's pads were originally, as they were purchased from a Hifman dealer a couple of months prior to my ownership, but the v2 pads are definitely chunkier and they place my ears further away from the driver. Another thing about its added depth is that the driver-side of the v2 pads may be arched more upwardly from the bottom (around attachment ring) than the v1 which creates a larger gap, as the v1's had to be flatter to accommodate the dust cover, which is now draped across the v2's drivers. The worn Arya v1 pads were also incredibly softer compared to the stiffer brand new v2 pads, but I chalk that up to the material softening up over time when worn on my head and when stored in the box. The increased "chunkiness" results in an ear opening that feels less spacious (front to back) than my worn Arya v1 pads. Coupled with the v2's comfort strap being tighter than my old v1's (the previous owner might have hung the cans from their comfort strap), my fit is now three clicks from the bottom rather than none or one on my v1's. Soundwise, the added depth (or distance between the drivers and my ears) seemed to increase the sub-bass presence, most noticeable with the track "Ikigai" from Idealism's album "Hiraeth" (see below). In the song, a second sub-bass pattern quickly follows a first sub-bass pattern (starting at 0:24), and the second sub-bass pattern was distinctively more muted in the v1's than the v2's.

The soundstage is as wide as ever (maybe a little wider? too close to tell going by memory) when listening to Shaker and Drum/Bell mic walkarounds from Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc. As for the imaging, it is still holographic, but L/R to center transition seems to be a little less defined on the v2's than on the v1's when listening to the two Dr. Chesky test tracks. The center image of the v2's also seemed to be closer to my face than the v1's. Again, this is with the v2's straight out of the box, so I'm going to reserve judgment and let the Arya v2's burn in more.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I am beginning to understand why people might experience jaw issues, as the Arya's pads out of the box are considerably stiffer than when they're well-worn. I certainly feel more clamp pressure on my jaw with the v2's than my secondhand v1's. The worn pads of the v1's were just perfect. They felt like pillows. I cannot say the same of the brand new pads as of this moment.

Comfortwise:
HD800S (secondhand, broken in) > Arya v2 ootb
Arya v1 (secondhand, broken in) > HD800S (secondhand, broken in)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #2,046 of 11,915

That track has some impressive bass, especially with some EQ. :L3000:
I'm going to jam it on my actual speaker system tomorrow (baby sleeping lol). Seaton Submersive and a Monolith 15 should shake the room nicely! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #2,047 of 11,915
[
Received my Arya v2's today that replaced my Arya v1's which sadly suffered an accident. I have to give thanks to Hifiman for providing great customer support during the replacement process. A few cosmetic things to note. The outward facing and inner facing magnets of the v2's are no longer painted over with black paint; the paint presumably protected them from corrosion or rust. Hifiman may have switched coatings on their magnets to achieve the same protection though.

The pads on the v2's are noticeably thicker and deeper than my secondhand Arya v1's; I don't know how thick the Arya v1's pads were originally, as they were purchased from a Hifman dealer a couple of months prior to my ownership, but the v2 pads are definitely chunkier and they place my ears further away from the driver. Another thing about its added depth is that the driver-side of the v2 pads may be arched more upwardly than the v1 which creates a larger gap, as the v1's had to be flatter to accommodate the dust cover, which is now draped across the driver in the v2's. The worn Arya v1 pads were also incredibly softer compared to the stiffer brand new v2 pads, but I chalk that up to the material softening up over time when worn on my head and when stored in the box. The increased "chunkiness" results in an ear opening that feels less spacious (front to back) than my worn Arya v1 pads. Coupled with the v2's comfort strap being tighter than my old v1's (the previous owner might have hung the cans from their comfort strap), my fit is now three clicks from the bottom rather than none or one on my v1's. Soundwise, the added depth (or distance between the drivers and my ears) seemed to increase the sub-bass presence, most noticeable with the track "Ikigai" from Idealism's album "Hiraeth" (see below). In the song, a second sub-bass pattern quickly follows a first sub-bass pattern (starting at 0:24), and the second sub-bass pattern was distinctively more muted in the v1's than the v2's.

The soundstage is as wide as ever (maybe a little wider? too close to tell going by memory) when listening to Shaker and Drum/Bell mic walkarounds from Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc. As for the imaging, it is still holographic, but L/R to center transition seems to be a little less defined on the v2's than on the v1's when listening to two Dr. Chesky test tracks. The center image of the v2's also seemed to be closer to my face than the v1's. Again, this is with the v2's straight out of the box, so I'm going to reserve judgment and let the Arya v2's burn in more.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I am beginning to understand why people might experience jaw issues, as the Arya's pads out of the box are considerably stiffer than when they're well-worn. I certainly feel more clamp pressure on my jaw with the v2's than my secondhand v1's. The worn pads of the v1's were just perfect. They felt like pillows. I cannot say the same of the brand new pads as of this moment.

Comfortwise:
HD800S (secondhand, broken in) > Arya v2 ootb
Arya v1 (secondhand, broken in) > HD800S (secondhand, broken in)

I hope the clamping and pads become better because Unfortunately this discomfort ruin the enjoyment I was looking for other headphones because of that but after ur comment I think I will wait more and see Because to be honest I suffered before with sennhisers 6xx clamping force even after 2 months of use and from dt1990 clamping.

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #2,048 of 11,915
After a good time calibrating I think I got a perfect EQ for this headphone.

If you're on Windows:
1.) Install Peace: https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/
2.) Configure the program to use your DAC
3.) Download my configuration file. It is NOT a ZIP file. I had to change extention for it to upload here. Change it to ".peace" instead of ".zip". Place it in the configuration folder of the program (usually C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config).
4.) Launch Peace and chose my configuration file.

Enjoy!
Let me thank you immensely for your tip. I was beginning to get mad over the boosted treble 😣. But, I wish to point out that your EQ setting is bassy like an Audeze 😁, Could you share an edited profile a bit flatter, I mean the Airiness appears to have taken a slight hit.
Cheers

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #2,049 of 11,915
Let me thank you immensely for your tip. I was beginning to get mad over the boosted treble 😣. But, I wish to point out that your EQ setting is bassy like an Audeze 😁, Could you share an edited profile a bit flatter, I mean the Airiness appears to have taken a slight hit.
Cheers
I edited over a default profile, let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_20200723_213739.jpg
    IMG_20200723_213739.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 23, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #2,050 of 11,915
Cheers

Yeah just take the 2nd 3rd and 4th sliders and drop them each 3dB. It still hits good not as boomy 😎👍

Edit I'm at work I'll review your other EQ tomorrow!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #2,052 of 11,915
I hope the clamping and pads become better because Unfortunately this discomfort ruin the enjoyment I was looking for other headphones because of that but after ur comment I think I will wait more and see Because to be honest I suffered before with sennhisers 6xx clamping force even after 2 months of use and from dt1990 clamping.
I think everything rests whether the foam in the new pads eventually loosen up (which I hope!). The thicker pads do seem to give more sub-bass presence than my older worn pads. Before, I had to hold my cups out a little bit from my ears to achieve the same effect that the new pads bring.

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #2,053 of 11,915
That track has some impressive bass, especially with some EQ. :L3000:
I'm going to jam it on my actual speaker system tomorrow (baby sleeping lol). Seaton Submersive and a Monolith 15 should shake the room nicely! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Haha, yeah the sub-bass in the track with a little EQ boost will definitely rattle your skull. How did the room shake test with the speakers go with this track?

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #2,054 of 11,915
Here's the EQ setting I'm using with mine. Aside from the somewhat limp impact in the bass(for my tastes), I can't fault the Arya at all. I noticed ~5-6k gets a little peaky so I adjusted accordingly.

1595560762891.png
1595560715328.png

Jul 24, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #2,055 of 11,915
Okay made some more calibrations. Trying to A/B no EQ to EQ with the pre-amp at 0 (temporarily so it's a fair comparison). I isolated calibrating the low end on it's own (flat EQ up top) and then went back the other way (no bass EQ and do the rest). Then merged them together. Most doing the calibrations need to tighten up the Q value (go higher) so it doesn't make insane changes on the mid/upper end. I also brought it down a little bit in the bass curve or else you'll lose the "air."

Spent about 30 min going back and forth with various tracks. I'm open to feedback. Once again rename .zip to .peace

Also if you want a fair A/B comparison on you own setup, don't go crazy with the volume, and uncheck "prevent clipping" and make sure pre-amp is set to zero so it's equal volume. My calibration has it at -9dB to not clip when actually cranking and enjoying them!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 0
  • HiFiMAN Arya.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back