HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #1,996 of 11,880
Update :
I've run-in the Arya for about 50 hours. The changes I've observed -
> Treble has calmed down a bit. Sounds less sharp and also a bit warm
> Instrument placement has improved and also has image distinction.
> Layering appears to have improved from new. Like Josh Valour said on YT, the Bass, Mids and High seem to be from 3 seperate headphones, meaning each of them sound distinct and seperated from the other.

I'm still waiting for that "Out of Head" Sound Stage to appear. Haven't reached it yet 😬
Also, I don't get the comparison with HD800S for Sound Stage size...I mean, the Arya is Airy and has excellent Imaging but Stage size doesn't extend all that much beyond the confines of the skull.

Didn't most reviews said the soundstage is almost as big as the HD800S?

Jul 17, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,997 of 11,880
I asked him via email. James seems to be a good guy.

Hey Scott, you're going to want either the HC-7 or HC-9 headphone cables that we do:

If your stock headphone cable has dual 2.5mm ends going to the headphones, go for the HC-7.

If your stock headphone cable has dual 3.5mm ends going to the headphones, go for the HC-9.

The next thing I usually hear is that the stock cables have TRS stereo connectors while the pictures on our site show TS mono connectors. Hifiman wires their headphones such that both stereo and mono connectors are fully compatible with their headphones. So you'll be good to go with either of the solutions I mentioned above!

Hope that info helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

- James

I emailed him , he still hasn't replied back yet. Unless you have another email of him? Im using the email provided on his website.

Jul 17, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #1,998 of 11,880
Do you know if you have revision 1 or 2?
Revision 2

Did you burn them in for 1700 hours?
Haha. I gave them a few weeks, listening a few hours a day. I figure from here on if they're going to change its not going to much if it all.

You should like lcd 3 more. I was in the same situation. While Arya being really amazing cans. Upper midrange and treble was just to shouty and peaky. Cannot listen them for more than hour or so.
And I decided to go with LCD 3. They are not as airy as arya or don't have this huge magical soundstage. But for me lcd 3 is the winner. Sweeter midrange,darker than arya but not muddy or dark at all.

Thanks for the reply, I''m happy to hear you dig the LCD 3. I absolutely agree with you about the Arya. They're really good but the upper mids and nighs just don't do it for me. Do you find the LCD3 as resolving as the Arya?

Jul 17, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #1,999 of 11,880
What are you driving the Arya with? You might be able to buy a warmer amp for less than an LCD-3 ( I love my LCD-3 but prefer my HE500 for rap).
Violetric 280

Based on memory using a digital EQ I would:

- they sag at about 1800 Hz, toss in a +5,8 db w/ a .7 Q
- big rise at 8.5K -5.5 db w/ a .9 EQ
- smaller but annoying up at 4.4 KHz - -3db w/ a less broad 2.0 Q
- slight down at 5.5 kHz +2.5db Q of 4.00
- and the usual open cup HFM rise in low bass 35 Hz +2.7db 1.0 Q Bass Shelf

BTW that's a very common HFM set of changes.
Thanks for the tips. I'll try EQing these and listen some more.

Edit: Much better with the EQ. Thanks. I'll listen to them for a few more days.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #2,000 of 11,880
This may have already been stated, but HF recommends 150 hours of run-in.
Yep..That's the target..So still crossing
Didn't most reviews said the soundstage is almost as big as the HD800S?
Lol that's what they said..But I dunno, its very much close to the ears..Maybe it will get better after burning in for another 100 hours..Let's see..But the thing is a lot of folks confuse Imaging for sound stage. So, at the moment, the Arya has a simply astounding imaging quality, But an okay-ish Sound stage.

Jul 18, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #2,001 of 11,880
Revision 2

Haha. I gave them a few weeks, listening a few hours a day. I figure from here on if they're going to change its not going to much if it all.

Thanks for the reply, I''m happy to hear you dig the LCD 3. I absolutely agree with you about the Arya. They're really good but the upper mids and nighs just don't do it for me. Do you find the LCD3 as resolving as the Arya?
Nope LCD 3 are not as resolving as Arya.

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #2,002 of 11,880
Violetric 280

Thanks for the tips. I'll try EQing these and listen some more.

Edit: Much better with the EQ. Thanks. I'll listen to them for a few more days.

What a nice amp. Thanks! I'm envious. It's either pick up an Arya, or go nuts and get a Voce and an old Stax like the 353X. Hmmm..

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #2,003 of 11,880
Nope LCD 3 are not as resolving as Arya.

Without a doubt. LCD4's are closer but probably not. I always imagine anyone listening to the 4's as wearing a smoking jacket and ascot sunk in a deep leather chair. Now if you EQ the Arya, it might seem to lose some etching detail, but, the pleasantness quotient and overall cohesion jump up - making it closer to LCD3 on those factors while still maintaining a big lead in other areas.

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2,004 of 11,880
Hi guys. I just bought the Arya new from a dealer and i am very pleased with the sound so far. I came across some uneaven areas in the mesh or felt under the outer grills and am wondering why that is and if others have that too. It s a bit disappointing, maybe just cosmetic but with a headphone in that price range a little bummer. Can it affect the sound or is it a damage. Maybe Hifiman can give some information. Thx.
20200718_233627.jpg
20200718_133728.jpg20200718_133716.jpg

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #2,005 of 11,880
I don't like to EQ up or down more than about 3dB. The more you do, technically the less the resolution. I've found that using from 1-2dB works well for me.

This is what I found years ago with a hardware 10 band EQ.

I do not find that with the digital 6 and 10 band EQ I use now. My biggest down across 5 cans is (effectively) -8.5, my biggest up +6.0. Todays digital EQ is wholly superior to the harware EQ of years ago - in particular if they are parametric. Effectively means if you have two adjacent and close settings that are both down -3, to get +6 graphically you may have to set it to +8ish.

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #2,006 of 11,880
Hi guys. I just bought the Arya new from a dealer and i am very pleased with the sound so far. I came across some uneaven areas in the mesh or felt under the outer grills and am wondering why that is and if others have that too. It s a bit disappointing, maybe just cosmetic but with a headphone in that price range a little bummer. Can it affect the sound or is it a damage. Maybe Hifiman can give some information. Thx.
20200718_233627.jpg
20200718_133728.jpg20200718_133716.jpg

My HEX v2's are similar. I don't worry, the outside mesh doesn't touch the membrane. I think the tool (fingers ?) that they use to smooth out the larger middle sections are harder to get into the small sections, so you end up with a variety of "fit and finish" in those areas.

Don't let it curb your enjoyment.

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #2,008 of 11,880
Has anyone compare the Arya to the HD800S in gaming like CoD MW?
I don't have the HD800S to compare but I can tell that Arya are absolutely beautiful in games. It is wide and accurate (imaging wise) enough to pin point the footstep sounds. And at the same time, the atmosphere sounds really nice but distinct from the game sounds important for the player.
I recently started playing some Valorant (which seems to be a direct copy of CS GO in terms of sound design), and I can pinpoint enemies footstep so well. My friend is always amazed at the accuracy to which I can point out enemies running in from covers.

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #2,009 of 11,880
I don't have the HD800S to compare but I can tell that Arya are absolutely beautiful in games. It is wide and accurate (imaging wise) enough to pin point the footstep sounds. And at the same time, the atmosphere sounds really nice but distinct from the game sounds important for the player.
I recently started playing some Valorant (which seems to be a direct copy of CS GO in terms of sound design), and I can pinpoint enemies footstep so well. My friend is always amazed at the accuracy to which I can point out enemies running in from covers.

Yea I play Valorant and CoD MW with my Arya, I just want to see if the HD800S will be better. Might have to order the HD800S to compare

Jul 20, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #2,010 of 11,880
So I got my Topping DX7 Pro today. And for some reason, I hooked up my Arya to it and listen, but the volume seems kinda low? LIke I almost had to max out the volume to get a decent sound from the Arya? Like is the Arya really that hard to drive? do i really need the THX AAA amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back