HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #1,966 of 11,873
I just bought the Arya after selling my clear (didn't like the metallic timbre and small soundstage). I am blown away by this headphone. Looks? Check. Comfort? Check. Soundstage? Double-check. Details? Not as sharp as the Clear but check. Bass? Check! Mids? Check check check. Timbre? Oh yeah that's nice.

I tried the HE1000se as well and I found it way too sharp for my liking. It was more airy and detailed but not good for the music I listen to (modern). Especially not good considering it was thousands more. This is supposed to be a temporary HP until I buy the Susvara but to be honest, I'm loving this sound so much that it may be a long time before I think about the Susvara. Running it using turbo mode on the iFi iDSD BL dac/amp and Tidal.

I chose to get this over the 1000se, empyrean, Utopia, and the LCD-4. It just sounds so perfect to me. I honestly think that even if the price was the same as the others, I would have chosen the Arya.

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #1,967 of 11,873
I just bought the Arya after selling my clear (didn't like the metallic timbre and small soundstage). I am blown away by this headphone. Looks? Check. Comfort? Check. Soundstage? Double-check. Details? Not as sharp as the Clear but check. Bass? Check! Mids? Check check check. Timbre? Oh yeah that's nice.

I tried the HE1000se as well and I found it way too sharp for my liking. It was more airy and detailed but not good for the music I listen to (modern). Especially not good considering it was thousands more. This is supposed to be a temporary HP until I buy the Susvara but to be honest, I'm loving this sound so much that it may be a long time before I think about the Susvara. Running it using turbo mode on the iFi iDSD BL dac/amp and Tidal.

I chose to get this over the 1000se, empyrean, Utopia, and the LCD-4. It just sounds so perfect to me. I honestly think that even if the price was the same as the others, I would have chosen the Arya.

Damn man nice that you got the Arya like me too. I was gonna buy the Focal Clear just to try it out, but since you said the Arya is better, I prob won't bother with it.
So the Clear soundstage is small? that sucks. But the Clear does look way better though than the Arya.

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #1,968 of 11,873
Anyone knows where to get a good cables for the Arya? or anyone that does Custom cables but fast shipping? I checked out HartAudioCAble but the guy taking too long to response and the lead time is 2-3 weeks.

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #1,969 of 11,873
Damn man nice that you got the Arya like me too. I was gonna buy the Focal Clear just to try it out, but since you said the Arya is better, I prob won't bother with it.
So the Clear soundstage is small? that sucks. But the Clear does look way better though than the Arya.

It's a great HP, don't get me wrong. I just don't like being blasted by sharp detail when I'm listening to music. It would have been fine had the soundstage been bigger but it's really intimate... The imaging is really good but I just can't stand narrow soundstage.

IMO, the Arya looks so much nicer. The clear looks stunning when it's new but it doesn't age well (ear pads, headband, and the plastic looses its sheen).

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #1,970 of 11,873
It's a great HP, don't get me wrong. I just don't like being blasted by sharp detail when I'm listening to music. It would have been fine had the soundstage been bigger but it's really intimate... The imaging is really good but I just can't stand narrow soundstage.

IMO, the Arya looks so much nicer. The clear looks stunning when it's new but it doesn't age well (ear pads, headband, and the plastic looses its sheen).

Wait there's plastics in the Clear? that sucks, I thought Focal has the best build quality.

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #1,971 of 11,873
Wait there's plastics in the Clear? that sucks, I thought Focal has the best build quality.

Yeah, it's more plastic than you think. Those same pieces are carbon fibre on the Utopia.

OH and also... the headband creaks. A lot. It's annoying. That being said, it does creak much less than the utopia which sounds like you're crushing a plastic water bottle.

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #1,972 of 11,873
I just bought the Arya after selling my clear (didn't like the metallic timbre and small soundstage

I don't understand what the 'metallic timbre' people are referring to with the Focal Clear. The only instruments that can sound metallic are steel-stringed guitars and cymbal splashes. Could you enlighten me with this description that you're describing? Which peaks in the upper-midrange/treble are you detecting this if I may ask?

I was gonna buy the Focal Clear just to try it out, but since you said the Arya is better, I prob won't bother with it.
If you look at The Headphone Show's video and the review of the Arya at headphones.com that compares it to the Clear, they have their strengths and weaknesses.

The Arya appears to be better at imaging, head stage and layering.

The Focal Clear has the better dynamics (bass impact/distinction and instrument volume presentation differences).

The Clear's head stage isn't small in general, but it is smaller than the Arya as per other forums.

Overall, they're both great options. IMO (having the Clear), they're well-balanced and are great with modern genres. They're a great option, and build quality feels premium (at least to me). The knock off is the colorway they used (which can be addressed by going with the Pro option).

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #1,973 of 11,873
I don't understand what the 'metallic timbre' people are referring to with the Focal Clear. The only instruments that can sound metallic are steel-stringed guitars and cymbal splashes. Could you enlighten me with this description that you're describing? Which peaks in the upper-midrange/treble are you detecting this if I may ask?

If you look at The Headphone Show's video and the review of the Arya at headphones.com that compares it to the Clear, they have their strengths and weaknesses.

The Arya appears to be better at imaging, head stage and layering.

The Focal Clear has the better dynamics (bass impact/distinction and instrument volume presentation differences).

The Clear's head stage isn't small in general, but it is smaller than the Arya as per other forums.

Overall, they're both great options. IMO (having the Clear), they're well-balanced and are great with modern genres. They're a great option, and build quality feels premium (at least to me). The knock off is the colorway they used (which can be addressed by going with the Pro option).

I'm not sure about the peaks but I think overall, the Clear is a colder HP and that's likely what I'm associating with metallic. It's not as neutralish-warm like the Arya is.

I agree with your points aside from the bass impact. The bass is more present and straight up better in the Arya. Honestly, compared to the Arya, the clear's soundstage sounds like it's in your head. Maybe I'm just really sensitive to soundstage but the clear felt waaaay too intimate for my liking. If it was bigger, I likely would have kept it.

Agree about the colorway. If they were the same price, I would have gotten the clear professional but I got the clear 700 dollars cheaper.

The best way I can describe the Arya is as a better/refined HD800S. No harshness though and maybe a slightly smaller soundstage but not by much.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #1,974 of 11,873
I'm not sure about the peaks but I think overall, the Clear is a colder HP and that's likely what I'm associating with metallic. It's not as neutralish-warm like the Arya is.

I agree with your points aside from the bass impact. The bass is more present and straight up better in the Arya. Honestly, compared to the Arya, the clear's soundstage sounds like it's in your head. Maybe I'm just really sensitive to soundstage but the clear felt waaaay too intimate for my liking. If it was bigger, I likely would have kept it.

Agree about the colorway. If they were the same price, I would have gotten the clear professional but I got the clear 700 dollars cheaper.

The best way I can describe the Arya is as a better/refined HD800S. No harshness though and maybe a slightly smaller soundstage but not by much.

Wait what do you mean you got the Clear for $700 cheaper? Like how? It's $1500 headphones.

The only headphones that I haven't tried yet is the HD800S, I'm thinking about getting it to compare with the Arya.

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #1,975 of 11,873
Wait what do you mean you got the Clear for $700 cheaper? Like how? It's $1500 headphones.

The only headphones that I haven't tried yet is the HD800S, I'm thinking about getting it to compare with the Arya.

Sorry, should have mentioned it was AUD, not USD :)

The HD800S was wonderful until I heard a song with high vocals and then it shredded my ears haha. Didn't try EQing it. Seems like that's what most people do.

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #1,976 of 11,873
I'm not sure about the peaks but I think overall, the Clear is a colder HP and that's likely what I'm associating with metallic

I'm still not sure why people would use the term 'metallic'. It doesn't really have any meaning in the context of sound, even with the glossary found here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/describing-sound-a-glossary.220770/

It's like the first few people described the slight edginess of certain instruments and consonant pronunciations caused by the peaks at 6k and 9k to be 'metallic', then everyone else harped on it.

It's not as neutralish-warm like the Arya is

I would agree that the Focal Clear aren't really neutral leaning warm. My HE-500 is slightly more warmer sounding than the Clear, so I find the Focal Clear well-balanced. Surprisingly, Crinacle describes the Clear's signature as warm neutral.

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #1,977 of 11,873
I'm still not sure why people would use the term 'metallic'. It doesn't really have any meaning in the context of sound, even with the glossary found here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/describing-sound-a-glossary.220770/

It's like the first few people described the slight edginess of certain instruments and consonant pronunciations caused by the peaks at 6k and 9k to be 'metallic', then everyone else harped on it.

I would agree that the Focal Clear aren't really neutral leaning warm. My HE-500 is slightly more warmer sounding than the Clear, so I find the Focal Clear well-balanced. Surprisingly, Crinacle describes the Clear's signature as warm neutral.

Totally agree with you. Though tbf, I could hear why people thought that. It was the coldness + Focal's sound that is a bit more harsh.

In saying that, the Clear is a wonderful headphone and honestly, it's SO close to the Utopia that it is a steal for the price. They did a great job with their headphone line. I guess their house tuning is just not for me. I'm happy I found home with the Arya.

Hahah warm neutral is not what I would say for the Clear - strange. I haven't heard the Stellia but apparently it is quite amazing as well.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #1,980 of 11,873
Great to know the A90 and Arya has great synergy. I've already got the A90 and about to get Arya as soon as I can.

Would you like to aim for an A90 + D90 stack with your Aryas?

Yup, D90 MQA (dont care about MQA as much, but the updated Xmos for the USB connection is not trivial) is now incoming, so I can run fully balanced and declutter my desktop. Seems the consensus is running fully balanced will get the most out of the A90, which the measurements also prove.

I also ordered the Musician Pegasus R2R dac for an experiment, I have no idea what the ladder DaC hype is about, I'm super curious.

I ordered the DACs in the first days of my A90 ownership, where I was not completely sold yet on the A90 in direct comparisons. Thought my NAIM dac connected through RCA was the problem. Now the A90 has come alive, I'm already happy as could be, my 10 year old Naim dac shines. Looking forward to see how this Arya experience can be even further improved with both next gen DACs incoming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back