HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #1,951 of 11,873
Somehow i prefer Arya with high gain setting, idk if it has anything to do with it being planar? Is this placebo or does it just like gain?

Constantly under impression there is slightly more bass/engagement/fun with Violectric V200 if i use hier gain (+6db). Dont get that with HD800,HD6xx and gain switching.
I have an SMSL SP200 and I also feel the same thing. It seems that Aryas are very much current hungry and their sounds becomes fuller and the bass becomes more punchy if you feed appropriate current. Using high gain on the SP200 does that thing for me. Initially I also thought that it was a placebo but after trying to match overall loudness in between low and high gain settings, I can confirm that the sound is better, especially the bass.

Jul 14, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #1,952 of 11,873
If you do your listening on a PC (and are not doing direct bit-stream output) I suggest try Peace Equalizer APO and configure it as such (see photo). I have a pair of Fostex TH-900 (bass heavy headphones) and this setup gives them a huge run for their money. I mean comparing EQ to EQ of Fostex and Arya. Absolutely lovely sounding. I've gone even more aggressive in the low end ramp up and they can take it more if you like. Just roll off the sub 20Hz as it's not necessary.

Better sources elsewhere but so anyone can jam it try the bass on this track with my EQ:

Attachments

• Arya.JPG
    Arya.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 0
Jul 14, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,953 of 11,873
By all of them. It stood its ground with soundstage, and that rich thick midrange, but point for point it simply got beat. I love mine, and will never sell it, but, against the new wave of high end cans it's quaint, but topped.
Yeah, I also prefer the more forward, lusher mids of the HE-500 than the mids of the Arya, the latter seems to be set further back in the mix. Also, one cannot deny the greater impact and slam provided by the HE-500 (and HE-6) over the softer tear-drop shaped Hifimans. However, the Arya has it beat for sure when it comes to technicalities. Still, for the price that used HE-500's go for these days, they are an absolute steal.

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #1,955 of 11,873
Yeah, I also prefer the more forward, lusher mids of the HE-500 than the mids of the Arya, the latter seems to be set further back in the mix. Also, one cannot deny the greater impact and slam provided by the HE-500 (and HE-6) over the softer tear-drop shaped Hifimans. However, the Arya has it beat for sure when it comes to technicalities. Still, for the price that used HE-500's go for these days, they are an absolute steal.

The HE-6 is the bass legend, maybe today only rating a 9/10 to say the Phi. The 500 I find is a good step down from the 6 in the bass - doesn't go as deep and certainly lacks the eye shutting slam. I'd say its 7.6 to the Phi and a 8.3 to the 6.

The Arya slams well better than the Ananda or HEX v2 or HEK v1, probably close to the HEK v2, and given the 6 can occasionally wallow on sustained bass, I'd say the 500 and Arya are essentially tied - just different.

Now I use dynamat ($5) to control the wallow, and even with the Ether Angled pads ($80), and a pair of beat up Black Dragon v1 cables ($60), fuzzor (felt w/ glue $2), new mesh ($3), HE-500 ($360) - $410 total, best you can get used Arya's for is about $1200. 3 times better? The Arya treble is far better, much less ringing than the 500, but not worth 3x more - what is in the mid-high end in audio?

Jul 14, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #1,957 of 11,873
Does the upper midrange and treble smoothen over time ? It feels a "tinny and ringy" sounding for songs with lot of HF sounds and also for certain less than perfect recorded songs.

Based on memory using a digital EQ I would:

- they sag at about 1800 Hz, toss in a +5,8 db w/ a .7 Q
- big rise at 8.5K -5.5 db w/ a .9 EQ
- smaller but annoying up at 4.4 KHz - -3db w/ a less broad 2.0 Q
- slight down at 5.5 kHz +2.5db Q of 4.00
- and the usual open cup HFM rise in low bass 35 Hz +2.7db 1.0 Q Bass Shelf

BTW that's a very common HFM set of changes.

I've got Tidal w/ MQA. MQA bit perfect feed with the digital EQ put on it (thus losing the bit perfect) with my 3 main cans sounds better about 80% of the time. Digital EQ is not your fathers EQ, its superb and can address the relatively small issues of the Arya (or HE-6se, HE-500, HEX v2)

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #1,958 of 11,873
Based on memory using a digital EQ I would:

- they sag at about 1800 Hz, toss in a +5,8 db w/ a .7 Q
- big rise at 8.5K -5.5 db w/ a .9 EQ
- smaller but annoying up at 4.4 KHz - -3db w/ a less broad 2.0 Q
- slight down at 5.5 kHz +2.5db Q of 4.00
- and the usual open cup HFM rise in low bass 35 Hz +2.7db 1.0 Q Bass Shelf

BTW that's a very common HFM set of changes.

I've got Tidal w/ MQA. MQA bit perfect feed with the digital EQ put on it (thus losing the bit perfect) with my 3 main cans sounds better about 80% of the time. Digital EQ is not your fathers EQ, its superb and can address the relatively small issues of the Arya (or HE-6se, HE-500, HEX v2)

I applied your tweaks at the following in Peace APO
1800Hz at +6dB Q0.7
4000Hz at -3dB Q2.0
5500Hz at +2.5dB Q4.0
8500Hz at -5.5dB Q0.9

I like my bass so I swell harder than your recommendations. Wow the top end I didn't realize was so harsh. I'm digging it the way it is now thank you!

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #1,959 of 11,873
I applied your tweaks at the following in Peace APO
1800Hz at +6dB Q0.7
4000Hz at -3dB Q2.0
5500Hz at +2.5dB Q4.0
8500Hz at -5.5dB Q0.9

I like my bass so I swell harder than your recommendations. Wow the top end I didn't realize was so harsh. I'm digging it the way it is now thank you!

Thanks, not bad for off the top of my head - although informed by a couple of years of HFM's.

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,960 of 11,873
Thanks, not bad for off the top of my head - although informed by a couple of years of HFM's.

I actually after another 30min of tweaking it found a few more corrections. Bass is selective so I will leave that separate.

I made

1800Hz at 3.5dB Q 1.0
4000Hz at -3.0dB Q 1.0
5500Hz at +2.5dB Q4.0
8500Hz at -2.0dB Q2.0

Having it slope so hard at 8500 took some of the air out of it I found. Also I'm sure as we all get older our high frequency goes so I didn't like that sharp cut. I then added some back up to the top where I'm likely deaf to add some air...

11,500Hz at +2.0dB Q4.0
15,000Hz at +5.0dB Q2.0

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #1,961 of 11,873
I actually after another 30min of tweaking it found a few more corrections. Bass is selective so I will leave that separate.

I made

1800Hz at 3.5dB Q 1.0
4000Hz at -3.0dB Q 1.0
5500Hz at +2.5dB Q4.0
8500Hz at -2.0dB Q2.0

Having it slope so hard at 8500 took some of the air out of it I found. Also I'm sure as we all get older our high frequency goes so I didn't like that sharp cut. I then added some back up to the top where I'm likely deaf to add some air...

11,500Hz at +2.0dB Q4.0
15,000Hz at +5.0dB Q2.0

Good, glad to help you looking into EQ. Wait a few days after the must play cuts are done and just listen to the average stuff in your collection (sonics and interest), you might make a few more setting changes - probably subtle.

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #1,962 of 11,873
I don't like to EQ up or down more than about 3dB. The more you do, technically the less the resolution. I've found that using from 1-2dB works well for me.

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #1,963 of 11,873
I have an SMSL SP200 and I also feel the same thing. It seems that Aryas are very much current hungry and their sounds becomes fuller and the bass becomes more punchy if you feed appropriate current. Using high gain on the SP200 does that thing for me. Initially I also thought that it was a placebo but after trying to match overall loudness in between low and high gain settings, I can confirm that the sound is better, especially the bass.

I have the SP200 and Arya: this 100% correct. They really sound better more energetic, the more juice it gets. Much more punch and more bass definition, it did loose a tad of detail and timbre at high gain, but more PRAT is easily prefered my me.

Recently got the Topping A90, which can even deliver more power. After running the SP200 for a while, I felt I was missing out on detail and the SP200 can sound harsh and cool sometimes with the Arya. After Soundnews glowing A90 review, I decided to give the Topping a try. The Soundnews review is highly recommended: his analysis is in my humble opinion spot-on.

No doubt the A90 has a warmer sound signature: as a result I do not feel the need for EQing the Arya anymore. Mid and low frequencies have way more meat on their bones. Much better at conveying detail, in a sweet/lush manner. No need to boost (sub-)bass by 2db and less need to tame Arya hotter 5K region anymore.

Out of the box, The Topping A90 did first sounded congested in direct comparison to my SMSL SP200 listening to my balanced Arya's, especially at high gain on the Topping(the reverse effect of Gain on the SP200, I was surprised). I even prefered mid gain on The A90, which sounded less congested than High. The SP200 seems to have more Prat, better transient contrast, more energy in the upper regions. But now, after a couple of days this seemed to have fundamentally changed. I'm not the only A90 owner reporting this, my guess is that the A90 really needs time to improve (just like my Arya, which became less harsh/sweeter over time). After a couple of days of (mental) burn-in?! I flipped the gain switch back to High again, because I felt I was missing PRAT, almost always forcing me to increase volume on the A90. WOW: it really clicked for me: goosebumps everywhere.

The Topping A90 seems almost build with Arya's in mind. I feel so blessed to experience this: it really feels like audio nirvana. The SP200 sounds grainy, small and tiring to listen to in comparison: no EQ was needed anymore and even then it is much easier to listen for a long time.

In comparison to the SP200, the a90 has so much more to offer: The clearly bigger, immersive , effortless soundstage and the truly 3D, superbly detailed, wide and deep, nicely layered and holographic presentation is mesmerizingly beautiful. It makes it so easy emotionally to connect to music. No need to close your eyes: you hear, feel and experience everything.

I really recommend Arya owners to try the A90 or A90 owners to give Arya a chance. It such a magical combination: balanced, dynamic, holographic, warm, lush, super detailed, extended on both ends, fast but never tiring and highly musical, never boring. Some head fi users report that the SP200 and A90 can sound similar and I can easily imagine this: my other headphones nowhere nearly respond this well as the Arya to the A90 upgrade. Heck, I even prefer the SP200 with my AKG 701, which sound congested in comparison on the A90.

I've been neglecting my GF last couple days, got real complaints: this is so addicting...

Long story short, I'm blown away. I wonder if other Arya owners experienced the same with the A90.

Roon PC > Tidal > IFI USB purifier 3 > Topping D10 > SPDIF Coax > Naim nDac with Teddy XPS PSU > RCA > Topping A10 Balanced > Chi-fi balanced Cable > Hifiman Arya

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #1,964 of 11,873
I have the SP200 and Arya: this 100% correct. They really sound better more energetic, the more juice it gets. Much more punch and more bass definition, it did loose a tad of detail and timbre at high gain, but more PRAT is easily prefered my me.

Recently got the Topping A90, which can even deliver more power. After running the SP200 for a while, I felt I was missing out on detail and the SP200 can sound harsh and cool sometimes with the Arya. After Soundnews glowing A90 review, I decided to give the Topping a try. The Soundnews review is highly recommended: his analysis is in my humble opinion spot-on.

No doubt the A90 has a warmer sound signature: as a result I do not feel the need for EQing the Arya anymore. Mid and low frequencies have way more meat on their bones. Much better at conveying detail, in a sweet/lush manner. No need to boost (sub-)bass by 2db and less need to tame Arya hotter 5K region anymore.

Out of the box, The Topping A90 did first sounded congested in direct comparison to my SMSL SP200 listening to my balanced Arya's, especially at high gain on the Topping(the reverse effect of Gain on the SP200, I was surprised). I even prefered mid gain on The A90, which sounded less congested than High. The SP200 seems to have more Prat, better transient contrast, more energy in the upper regions. But now, after a couple of days this seemed to have fundamentally changed. I'm not the only A90 owner reporting this, my guess is that the A90 really needs time to improve (just like my Arya, which became less harsh/sweeter over time). After a couple of days of (mental) burn-in?! I flipped the gain switch back to High again, because I felt I was missing PRAT, almost always forcing me to increase volume on the A90. WOW: it really clicked for me: goosebumps everywhere.

The Topping A90 seems almost build with Arya's in mind. I feel so blessed to experience this: it really feels like audio nirvana. The SP200 sounds grainy, small and tiring to listen to in comparison: no EQ was needed anymore and even then it is much easier to listen for a long time.

In comparison to the SP200, the a90 has so much more to offer: The clearly bigger, immersive , effortless soundstage and the truly 3D, superbly detailed, wide and deep, nicely layered and holographic presentation is mesmerizingly beautiful. It makes it so easy emotionally to connect to music. No need to close your eyes: you hear, feel and experience everything.

I really recommend Arya owners to try the A90 or A90 owners to give Arya a chance. It such a magical combination: balanced, dynamic, holographic, warm, lush, super detailed, extended on both ends, fast but never tiring and highly musical, never boring. Some head fi users report that the SP200 and A90 can sound similar and I can easily imagine this: my other headphones nowhere nearly respond this well as the Arya to the A90 upgrade. Heck, I even prefer the SP200 with my AKG 701, which sound congested in comparison on the A90.

I've been neglecting my GF last couple days, got real complaints: this is so addicting...

Long story short, I'm blown away. I wonder if other Arya owners experienced the same with the A90.

Roon PC > Tidal > IFI USB purifier 3 > Topping D10 > SPDIF Coax > Naim nDac with Teddy XPS PSU > RCA > Topping A10 Balanced > Chi-fi balanced Cable > Hifiman Arya
It was an interesting review, in my conclusions I would say it all boils down to headphone / amp synergies, congratulations!

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,965 of 11,873
I just bought the Arya after selling my clear (didn't like the metallic timbre and small soundstage). I am blown away by this headphone. Looks? Check. Comfort? Check. Soundstage? Double-check. Details? Not as sharp as the Clear but check. Bass? Check! Mids? Check check check. Timbre? Oh yeah that's nice.

I tried the HE1000se as well and I found it way too sharp for my liking. It was more airy and detailed but not good for the music I listen to (modern). Especially not good considering it was thousands more. This is supposed to be a temporary HP until I buy the Susvara but to be honest, I'm loving this sound so much that it may be a long time before I think about the Susvara. Running it using turbo mode on the iFi iDSD BL dac/amp and Tidal.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back