HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #1,981 of 11,889
Dang if I didn't order the DX7 Pro, I would have order the A90. The DX7 Pro is on the way to me though, if I didn't like it, I will return and get the A90

I don't know the DX7, I could be wrong: but I can vouch for the A90.

The one thing I can say with certainty now, magneplanars respond extremely well to amp improvements. And because the Arya is one of the more difficult to drive, it seems to respond even more to quality amplification. I dare to say with the Arya, that the Amp is more important than the DAC.

I tried the Arya on many different amps, the step up in SQ is not subtle: typically you get: more bass/warmth, more Pace/Dynamics, bigger soundstage, more of all the good stuff.

I'm 100% sure there are better amps out there, but for $500, the A90 improved my Arya is such dramatic ways. My SMSL SP200 has an excellent reputation with the Arya's, I can only agree. Still have both amps, its easy to do direct comparisons: but the A90 improvements on the Arya are not subtle at all. My desire for EQin the Arya (boost bass, cut 5K highs) almost completely disappeared.

Read the Soundnews review, I can only confirm his conclusions.

I apologize for being such a A90 shill, but I really hope you can also try the A90 and compare it to the DX7 before your decide. If budget is an constraint, I would add the Topping e30 DAC to the A90.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #1,982 of 11,889
I don't know the DX7, I could be wrong: but I can vouch for the A90.

The one thing I can say with certainty now, magneplanars respond extremely well to amp improvements. And because the Arya is one of the more difficult to drive, it seems to respond even more to quality amplification. I dare to say with the Arya, that the Amp is more important than the DAC.

I tried the Arya on many different amps, the step up in SQ is not subtle: typically you get: more bass/warmth, more Pace/Dynamics, bigger soundstage, more of all the good stuff.

I'm 100% sure there are better amps out there, but for $500, the A90 improved my Arya is such dramatic ways. My SMSL SP200 has an excellent reputation with the Arya's, I can only agree. Still have both amps, its easy to do direct comparisons: but the A90 improvements on the Arya are not subtle at all.

Read the Soundnews review, I can only confirm his conclusions.

I apologize for being such a A90 shill, but I really hope you can also try the A90 and compare it to the DX7 before your decide. If budget is an constraint, I would add the Topping e30 DAC to the A90.

That's really interesting. It is true though. I switched between normal and turbo mode on my iFi iDSD BL and the difference in bass and soundstage was noticeable even at approx. the same volume.

My plan is to buy an iFi Pro iCan next year which can eventually be used with the Susvara. That thing has massive power and lots of features in a small body.

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #1,983 of 11,889
That's really interesting. It is true though. I switched between normal and turbo mode on my iFi iDSD BL and the difference in bass and soundstage was noticeable even at approx. the same volume.

My plan is to buy an iFi Pro iCan next year which can eventually be used with the Susvara. That thing has massive power and lots of features in a small body.

I don't have a measuring rig, but how the Arya shift in tonal balance with different amps is quite astounding, I wonder if you could measure this.

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #1,984 of 11,889
Great to know the A90 and Arya has great synergy. I've already got the A90 and about to get Arya as soon as I can.

Would you like to aim for an A90 + D90 stack with your Aryas?

Make sure you run the Arya balanced and use high gain on the A90. I'm looking forward to your experience. PS: Arya burn in is real.

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #1,986 of 11,889
Jul 16, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #1,987 of 11,889
Yup, D90 MQA (dont care about MQA as much, but the updated Xmos for the USB connection is not trivial) is now incoming,...

I also ordered the Musician Pegasus R2R dac for an experiment, I have no idea what the ladder DaC hype is about, I'm super curious.

To say I'm interested in a D90 vs. an R2R DAC comparison would be an understatement. In which thread are you planning to share your impressions?

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #1,988 of 11,889
To say I'm interested in a D90 vs. an R2R DAC comparison would be an understatement. In which thread are you planning to share your impressions?

It will take 2 weeks minimum, both the D90 and Pegasus are on back-order. In addition, I'm quite sure the R2R needs serious break in time. I will most definitely share my journey here, but I assume it will take a while. I'm so happy with the sound of my set-up now, cannot imagine what differences I will find.

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #1,989 of 11,889
It will take 2 weeks minimum, both the D90 and Pegasus are on back-order. In addition, I'm quite sure the R2R needs serious break in time. I will most definitely share my journey here, but I assume it will take a while. I'm so happy with the sound of my set-up now, cannot imagine what differences I will find.
I am also curious to know the comparison between both Dacs and how synergy is handled with your A90 + Arya, yeah!

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #1,990 of 11,889
Anyone knows where to get a good cables for the Arya? or anyone that does Custom cables but fast shipping? I checked out HartAudioCAble but the guy taking too long to response and the lead time is 2-3 weeks.

I asked him via email. James seems to be a good guy.

Hey Scott, you're going to want either the HC-7 or HC-9 headphone cables that we do:

If your stock headphone cable has dual 2.5mm ends going to the headphones, go for the HC-7.

If your stock headphone cable has dual 3.5mm ends going to the headphones, go for the HC-9.

The next thing I usually hear is that the stock cables have TRS stereo connectors while the pictures on our site show TS mono connectors. Hifiman wires their headphones such that both stereo and mono connectors are fully compatible with their headphones. So you'll be good to go with either of the solutions I mentioned above!

Hope that info helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

- James

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #1,991 of 11,889
TRS? Wasn't that over with the HE-5LE and HE-6? None of the teardrop cans or HE6se or HE5se or MD 4XX use it - they are standard.

I've tried a few headphone cables and lots of cables if I go back into my speaker days - the best I've found in the past 5 years is Custom Cans in the UK, great customer services, lots of color choices, and very clean unhyped sound, super low impedance too. JUst a happy customer, no investment.

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #1,992 of 11,889
I heard the Clear same day back to back with Arya. They both sounded amazing to me. I found the Focal Clear to sound more enjoyable than their more expensive offerings (kinda like how the Arya plays above it's price point). End of the day, I wanted the planar and for the money didn't want a traditional driver. I wouldn't fully discredit the Focal Clear for those who have some interest in it I enjoyed my brief time with them.

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #1,993 of 11,889
Update :
I've run-in the Arya for about 50 hours. The changes I've observed -
> Treble has calmed down a bit. Sounds less sharp and also a bit warm
> Instrument placement has improved and also has image distinction.
> Layering appears to have improved from new. Like Josh Valour said on YT, the Bass, Mids and High seem to be from 3 seperate headphones, meaning each of them sound distinct and seperated from the other.

I'm still waiting for that "Out of Head" Sound Stage to appear. Haven't reached it yet 😬
Also, I don't get the comparison with HD800S for Sound Stage size...I mean, the Arya is Airy and has excellent Imaging but Stage size doesn't extend all that much beyond the confines of the skull.

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #1,994 of 11,889
This may have already been stated, but HF recommends 150 hours of run-in.

Jul 17, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #1,995 of 11,889

True, Pro iCAN has lots of useful things and enough power to drive Susvaras rather well.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back