HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #9,136 of 11,915
Hahah. Holy crap man.
That's the same thing I said out loud when I plugged my Arya v2's into the Emo: "Holy crap! That bass!"

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #9,137 of 11,915
This. I was a guy who subscribed to the “if it plays loud enough, it’s enough amp” theory. I was shocked at the difference in dynamics and bass a Soloist XP made with my v2s.
Yep, the guys shouting "Via the online headphone power calculator, this headphone only needs 120mW to reach 100dB" are not only missing out on excellent experiences themselves but are also leading others to only mediocre results......

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #9,138 of 11,915
Yep, the guys shouting "Via the online headphone power calculator, this headphone only needs 120mW to reach 100dB" are not only missing out on excellent experiences themselves but are also leading others to only mediocre results......

Ah yes, the "Science" arguments. Reminds me of other things like "digital signals are only 1s and zeros and thus better cabling can't improve them", "redbook audio can't be improved upon, it's perfect" and other things over the years. Use your ears... lol

It's an interesting setup you've got there. Too bad I'll never know what it sounds like..

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #9,140 of 11,915
Ah yes, the "Science" arguments. Reminds me of other things like "digital signals are only 1s and zeros and thus better cabling can't improve them", "redbook audio can't be improved upon, it's perfect" and other things over the years. Use your ears... lol

It's an interesting setup you've got there. Too bad I'll never know what it sounds like..
I still have the Emo....unplugged and in the corner of my room. I've since moved up to a Gustard H20 with upgraded discrete opamps - for that Class A goodness from input to output. Besides, from your profile you don't have to hear it, LOL - unless you'd really fancy more power for nigh-unlimited dynamics, more than what the Sony or Hugo2 can muster.....

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #9,141 of 11,915
I would say that almost any amp will get the Arya SE loud enough.

Driving them at their best is another story.

This has been my experience for what it’s worth. Have tried a tonne of amps and these two came out on top - the Burson Conductor 3xgt , and a speaker tube amp willsenton r8 via the HP outputs or taps.

Personally - I don’t think it’s necessarily the quantity of power / headroom on tap people need to worry about, but it’s more the quality of implementation of the amplifier (with class a usually a good bet for synergy).

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #9,144 of 11,915
Hi everyone. I am considering upgrading from the Edition XS to the Aryas. I am hearing a lot of conflicting opinions, e.g. "not worth X3 price of the XS especially since they sound very similar". Wanna hear what you guys think.
You know, if we talk about value I think at like 100$ we are already going over the board.

Every time I listen to my Sundara I really get struck by how good it sound, even compared to the Arya SE (on decent gear). It's like 1/5 or even 1/6 of the price and on many fundamentals it's almost there, like 85% / 90% of what Arya SE does. Do I think the price difference is worth, to me? Yeah, the soundstage is much better, the bass impact is much better (it satisfies me fully, where the Sundara does not), the presentation is just... different. The build also is on another level.

Is 15% better on something worth triple the price? It depends on how much that something matters to you.

All I can say is that when I put the Arya SE on my ears, powered by the FiiO K9 Pro, I just get somewhere else surrounded by the music, I forget I'm wearing an headphone, and every single time I just Wow myself. With any other HPs, I struggle to not notice something. There is always something that reminds me I'm wearing an headphone.

Every single time.

I just feel satisfied and don't dream about any other headphones, when I listen to the Arya SE with good recorded and mixed music.

P.S. Having them for some months and managed to buy 3-4 other headphones after them for different use cases, so it's not a honeymoon phase.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #9,145 of 11,915
You know, if we talk about value I think at like 100$ we are already going over the board.

Every time I listen to my Sundara I really get struck by how good it sound, even compared to the Arya SE (on decent gear). It's like 1/5 or even 1/6 of the price and on many fundamentals it's almost there, like 85% / 90% of what Arya SE does. Do I think the price difference is worth, to me? Yeah, the soundstage is much better, the bass impact is much better (it satisfies me fully, where the Sundara does not), the presentation is just... different. The build also is on another level.

Is 15% better on something worth triple the price? It depends on how much that something matters to you.

All I can say is that when I put the Arya SE on my ears, powered by the FiiO K9 Pro, I just get somewhere else surrounded by the music, I forget I'm wearing an headphone, and every single time I just Wow myself. With any other HPs, I struggle to not notice something. There is always something that reminds me I'm wearing an headphone.

Every single time.

I just feel satisfied and don't dream about any other headphones, when I listen to the Arya SE with good recorded and mixed music.

P.S. Having them for some months and managed to buy 3-4 other headphones after them for different use cases, so it's not a honeymoon phase.
Thx for your reply. I got the Fiio k5 pro would that be sufficient?

Dec 19, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #9,146 of 11,915
Considering upgrading from the Edition XS to the Aryas. Hearing a lot of mixed feelings about this and wanted to check your thoughts :)
I haven't heard the XS, but I have both the Ananda and the Arya Stealth (traded in my Arya v2 for them). The Arya is a wholly more complete HP listening experience that the Ananda merely hints at.....

Dec 19, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #9,147 of 11,915

Every single time.

Very well put - and a mirror to my own feelings of them.....

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #9,148 of 11,915
I've never head the K5 Pro, so my opinion is based on reviews and general knowledge.

Bearing that in mind, I think it will be enough to enjoy the Arya SE at first (as they are pretty efficient). I suggest to get a better dac/amp in the future, tho.

Dec 20, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #9,149 of 11,915
Yes it would be, both for power output and sound quality.
Of course the better the gear, the more the Arya it scales, sky is the limit but hey, you must start from somewhere.

Dec 20, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #9,150 of 11,915
Best Headphone – Best Value:

HIFIMAN Arya Stealth
The Arya Stealth’s tuning is very good. It’s pleasing, yet technically strong as well as musical and exciting. The Arya Stealth always has a good body, presence, impact and depth. It’s very easy to understand why this headphone is getting so many recommendations. It’s an absolute award winner and in this price category, the Arya Stealth is hard to beat.

https://www.headfonia.com/headfonia-2022-awards-part-1/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back