HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #813 of 11,881
I compared Arya with HD800S with Taurus, Liquid Prime, BHA-1. Violins are more accurate with the HD800S. But for pure enjoyment I can say the Arya is very good.

I thought the HD800s upper mids are kind of thin...sounds like it give up some power as it reach that end point. How does the arya sound like?

TBH I want to buy this headset because I like Arya from Game of Thrones lmao.

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #815 of 11,881
Hmm thats interesting. I'm listening almost exclusively to classical music and coming from HD800 perhaps best gain in SQ is timbre. Tried many headphones in seven years, HD800 beat it all. Acquired Arya recently and at beginning didn't liked them that much but soon realized the more power I give them better they sound. I was swapping among four amps, 3 dedicated headphones amp and one integrated but with powerful H output. The most powerful one gave best results even though lack of synergy was evident. So I decided to try them out of speakers taps (Nad C375Bee) and boy, that was pleasant surprise. It was that good that I've started looking for new integrated amp with as low output impedance as possible yet with sound characteristics I thought suits best to Arya and my speakers. After some research I've ended up with Yamaha AS1100 and ArtHT between. That was it. I can't listen to HD800 anymore.

With HD800 I was leaning more towards chamber music, small orchestra concertos etc... Steinway always sounded comical to my ears with them so I knew for a long time they are not truly natural but I was always entertained with their speed, transparency and soundstage. Arya doesn't hit you with that but rather with balance, timbre, weight in midrange and bass even though they are totally up with HD800 in that regard as well. Now I listen to solo grand piano music more then ever I think. Steinway has most believable timbre I've ever heard on any headphones. Large orchestras heave depth and sounds gorgeous, especially in lower registers (cellos, bases, timpanies..). When you give them really enough power soundstage remains solid and coherent making cresendos coming with bigger intensity and greater impact. Opera is really hard to comprehend and even best produced records can get out of control with sopranos reaching high in pitch making me pushing the volume down with HD800 and almost never with Arya. I must say as well that vocals sounds spooky real with Arya. Only thing that I miss form HD800 is that 'in your face' upper midrange microdynamics and energy. Perhaps HD800 keeps track just a tiny bit better with complex mulitiple insturments involved in higher registers but still Arya sounds more true in timber and beats them any other aspect. Arya is indeed a bit laidback but if anything, I can, for the first time ever, listen to whole opera piece at once without ever reaching for volume pot and just enjoy the music for hours without any discomfort anywise.

It seems to me that I'm stuck with them for many years to come:)

Out of curiosity, how do you connect the Arya to the integrated amp, do you use sone kind of adapter to connect to the speaker taps?

Apr 5, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #816 of 11,881
I compared Arya with HD800S with Taurus, Liquid Prime, BHA-1. Violins are more accurate with the HD800S. But for pure enjoyment I can say the Arya is very good.
The more interesting question is....how do those 3 amps compare? Those are good amps. Which SS sounds better...the Taurus or BHA-1? How does the liquid platinum compare with 2 famous SS amps? My money is on the BHA-1.

Apr 5, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #817 of 11,881
Okay. Obviously your accurate is not my accurate and that's totally fine.
Yeah agreed that is something that is part of this hobby, preference and difference in perception. Like personally i like violins on the arya and feel it sounds natural

Apr 5, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #818 of 11,881
The more interesting question is....how do those 3 amps compare? Those are good amps. Which SS sounds better...the Taurus or BHA-1? How does the liquid platinum compare with 2 famous SS amps? My money is on the BHA-1.
The Bryston seems pretty underpowered compared to the other options, no? I'm currently rolling with a Liquid Platinum but people are saying the Arya does better with more power so I'm pinching my pennies for another amp.

Apr 5, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #819 of 11,881
I must say as well that vocals sounds spooky real with Arya.
Agreed on this! I listened to Lost in Japan and it sounds like Shawn Mendez is right in front of me. Had to let my wife and daughter listen to the same track to see if it was just me :dt880smile:

Apr 5, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #820 of 11,881
Might be you need better for Arya.
Agree, although the HD800 sounds really nice with violin but I would not say its accurate by any means. And I ve been playing violins for nearly 20 years. I think planars have natural advantages on transient compare to dynamics.

Apr 5, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #821 of 11,881
I love the Arya but preferred tje HD800S for classical music as the Arya did not reproduce the sound of violins correctly.
Agree, although the HD800 sounds really nice with violin but I would not say its accurate by any means. And I ve been playing violins for nearly 20 years. I think planars have natural advantages on transient compare to dynamics.

Interesting. Tell us more details about the difference, if possible. In what ways violin sounds more natural with planars?

Apr 9, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #822 of 11,881
Does the Arya sound 'soft'? That's one of the things that made me sell my HEKv2 -- there was no edginess or bite to the instruments. Everything seemed to have rounded corners if you get what I mean. It was a VERY pleasant listening experience, but not a very engaging one for me.
I completely agree with you. The HEXV2 sounds very spacious, natural and extremely pleasant at first, but then after a while it becomes too soft, too diffuse and uninteresting.

My LCD2C keeps entertaining me even after 3 hours while the HEXV2 becomes boring after 45 minutes. It is personal taste I guess and depends on the music genre you prefer...

I wonder how much tighter and more focused the Arya is compared to the HEXV2, but HiFiMan QC and warranty keeps me away finding it out on MSRP.

Apr 10, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #825 of 11,881
1 year non-transferable. That's pretty poor compared to the competition. Audeze: 3 years transferable, ZMF: lifetime transferable.
Hi there, thank you for your interest in HIFIMAN, if you have any questions about the warranty, please feel free to email us at: customerservice@hifiman.com.

Thank you. :)

April

Last edited:
HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back