HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #4,367 of 11,886
Should I get the new 2021 LCD-XC / X over the Arya?
That's a really open question my man, they are both great in there on way. It depends on the type of music you listen to and your sonic taste and you really can't compare a closed headphone to an open one especially with a planar like the Arya that has insane Soundstage and instrument separation

Jul 23, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #4,368 of 11,886
Should I get the new 2021 LCD-XC / X over the Arya?

Well, what do you value in music? Do you want emotion, precision, intensity, a feeling of listening live? Each headphone is going to have it's advantages and disadvantages in those areas. Give us some details about you and I'm sure one or several of us can help you decide.

But... if you're looking for a quick answer, get the XC if you have any interest in a closed back. It is without a doubt the best closed back headphone I've ever heard, and it competes with or beats the other two in just every other area. If isolation is not a priority for you, then the decision gets more complicated.

Jul 23, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #4,371 of 11,886
I recently purchased a brand new pair off Amazon, and was shocked to find the box not sealed, it looks like the seal or part of the writing was ripped off?

Anyone had this happen before? The seller is an authorized dealer, specifically Kaviso fulfilled by Amazon.

IMG_5386.jpg
Mine come with sealed external box.

Attachments

• Arya.JPG
    Arya.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Arya2.JPG
    Arya2.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
Jul 24, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #4,373 of 11,886
I'll go into a bit more detail. Depends on how you get to that 1W. Watts = amps (current) x volts. Dynamic HPs typically need their watts derived more from volts, while Planars need their watts derived more from amps/current. Not enough current amps and Arya will not sound its best.

OK, if you want to.

1. you can calculate the amount of power every headphone needs for your listening level
2. if you know your listening level, you can put some extra headroom on top depending on your needs (eq/source)
3. i don't know all amps obviously, but let's take ifi audio's xDSD as an example. It can produce max 3.8V and 177mA Current and 500mW @16 ohm

Hifiman Arya
- 100dbA - Less than 1V, 20mA and 10mW needed
- 110dbA - Less than 2V, 60mA and 150mW needed

This device got more than enough Voltage, Current, and mW as well to drive the arya. It might not be the cleanest device out there, but can you actually hear the difference in a blind test? I know people, who were defeated by the ifi hip dac against class a amp together with expensive dac and they strongly believed in big sound difference before and got very expensive gear in general. The Bass Boost on the other hand was not useful in my opinion for cans like the arya, 1000V2 or zmf auteur/verite.

So, even some mobile amps do provide more than the arya ever need and so far all i have heard were flat as well, so do sound the same as desktop amps. At least the ones tested and heard.

No one needs to believe all this, not even facts and measurements, if not even that can make you trust and that is totally fine, we are free of what we choose. But there is always a possibility that someone comes to the forum and is telling you that 1+1 might be 2 and not 2.5 :)

But this will be my last post in this thread regarding amps and stuff, i may create a thread in the science section for that, otherwise it may disrupt people asking for opinions for the sound quality of these cans compared to others since a lot here seems not to believe in science while their products were crafted by it, which is kinda curious to be honest.

Jul 24, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #4,374 of 11,886
Maybe so, but I tend to stay away from generalizations like 1W is all Arya needs when there are multiple paths to 1W.

We will have to agree to disagree as to the science related to audio measurements. I fall in the 'we have not learned all there is to measure, but current measurement methodology is a good place to START' camp.

The sound science thread may be great for these debates. Heck, the 'Audio Science Review' site might also be a place of interest for you if you're not already a member.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #4,375 of 11,886
No, i am not a member over there yet.

I fall in the 'we have not learned all there is to measure, but current measurement methodology is a good place to START' camp

That is why i always test with my equipment. Does it sound the same? If it does, passed. I have by far not enough knowledge to know if that holds true or not, but i agree in general that as time moves forward, we learn more and rules change over time as we learned that we were wrong before, which may be rewritten again after some time and so on.

Jul 24, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #4,376 of 11,886
Maybe so, but I tend to stay away from generalizations like 1W is all Arya needs when there are multiple paths to 1W.

We will have to agree to disagree as to the science related to audio measurements. I fall in the 'we have not learned all there is to measure, but current measurement methodology is a good place to START' camp.

The sound science thread may be great for these debates. Heck, the 'Audio Science Review' site might also be a place of interest for you if you're not already a member.

^^^This^^^, 1000X this^^^

Jul 25, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #4,378 of 11,886
Anyone have experience with cables from kable Kraft:

https://kablekraft.com/

Was looking to upgrade my stock cables for balanced ones and these guys look fairly priced but can hardly find many reviews on em.
You won't find many reviews because they are in Singapore and their shipping terms state that they don't ship internationally, so that discounts most of the posters here.

They at least offer a lot of choices.

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #4,380 of 11,886
Well, what do you value in music? Do you want emotion, precision, intensity, a feeling of listening live? Each headphone is going to have it's advantages and disadvantages in those areas. Give us some details about you and I'm sure one or several of us can help you decide.

But... if you're looking for a quick answer, get the XC if you have any interest in a closed back. It is without a doubt the best closed back headphone I've ever heard, and it competes with or beats the other two in just every other area. If isolation is not a priority for you, then the decision gets more complicated.
So you think the LCD-XC is better than those closed back ones from Focal?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back