HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #3,961 of 11,881
Curious as to which amp you prefer, the Honey or the iDSD?

The iDSD most of the time because the sound signature is closer to neutral compared to the Honey. It has a bit of warmth while still being very detailed..iFi house sound.
The Honey is something else, very dynamic and lots of contrast between instruments, a bit too much on some tracks with kick drums or cymbals…not as versatile as iDSD.
The Honey H1 stands out compared to everything else I’ve tried. Anson, the person who made it, had their vision of fun, lush sound and thats what the H1 does.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #3,963 of 11,881
Just slightly different mesh on the pads and and a very fine woven protection cloth on the outside of the drivers from what I’ve seen, I don’t think it will alter the sound in meaningful way.

That is the difference between V1 and V2 correct? Is that the same as 2020 vs 2021 revision mentioned above?

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #3,964 of 11,881
2021 version would be revision 3, a couple steps away from the OG arya. Hopefully not crazy different but better.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #3,965 of 11,881
2021 version would be revision 3, a couple steps away from the OG arya. Hopefully not crazy different but better.
I thought there were only the original, with mesh outer grills, and the 'silent revision', with thin cloth material outer grills. Same drivers though, with a very slight smoothing of the highs by the cloth outers (from reports). I have the cloth version and the highs are not harsh but still extended and detailed, and sometimes can be warm-ish sounding. I haven't seen any other differences.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #3,966 of 11,881
Wouldn't it be great if manufacturers would label their headphones by model year and give us a heads-up when changes have been made and what exactly those changes are? Seems like that would encourage sales of "improved" versions and everyone wins. But Hifiman & Audeze (among others) insist on being all squirrely about it.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #3,967 of 11,881
I have Arya v2 coupled with a Chord TT2 using the Warm filter and Crossfeed at 1. Sounds great but i do notice the Arya's get muddy with complex or loud passages. Is this where the Arya falls flat? Any one can compare the Arya with the Susvara? Thanks.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #3,968 of 11,881
I have Arya v2 coupled with a Chord TT2 using the Warm filter and Crossfeed at 1. Sounds great but i do notice the Arya's get muddy with complex or loud passages. Is this where the Arya falls flat? Any one can compare the Arya with the Susvara? Thanks.
Do you like the TT2? I was thinking of getting it. I have the D90/A90. Was looking for something else that would give me a different sound…don’t know much about the TT2…but thought it might be a good high end dac to pick up.
How is the amplifier? Do you think it’s need a separate amp?

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #3,969 of 11,881
How is the amplifier? Do you think it’s need a separate amp?
I owned Hugo 2 and TT2 and Hugo 2 was already adequate at powering Arya's. Also Hugo TT2 has an amp that in balanced mode can power Abyss AB-1266 power-hungry headphones, so you should be good.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #3,970 of 11,881
It could be due to TT2. I never really liked its crossfeed feature when I auditioned it in my home. IIRC, the crossfeed feature introduced what sounded like treble grain to several cans that I tried, which included the LCD-2, HE-500, and the HE-6. That is why I liked the TT2 best with the filters and crossfeed turned off.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #3,971 of 11,881
I owned Hugo 2 and TT2 and Hugo 2 was already adequate at powering Arya's. Also Hugo TT2 has an amp that in balanced mode can power Abyss AB-1266 power-hungry headphones, so you should be good.

what do you do…run a dongle from the dual XLR to single XLR?

my only hesitation on that dac/amp is that it really needs a balanced jack on the front. We are at around 2-3 years since it came out and it feels like they should be updating soon…was thinking about waiting to see if they put something out with Balanced on the front.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #3,972 of 11,881
That is why I liked the TT2 best with the filters and crossfeed turned off.
You kinda need to select one of the filters, but I get what you mean. Number 3-4 are a bit warmer than 1-2. I also agree on the Crossfeed, I also did not like it. Much more prefer dCS Bartók's Expanse, which see
what do you do…run a dongle from the dual XLR to single XLR?
Yes, I had Lavricables make me a 2x3-pin female XLR to 4-pin female XLR adapter (pics here).

my only hesitation on that dac/amp is that it really needs a balanced jack on the front. We are at around 2-3 years since it came out and it feels like they should be updating soon…was thinking about waiting to see if they put something out with Balanced on the front.
I did try to compare SE and XLR and after volume matching, heard very little difference on most songs, and that was on power hungry AB-1266, so I would say you don't need XLRs outs for Aryas. But I agree, it is quite annoying to need to use a SE adapter, or re-terminate your headphones.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #3,973 of 11,881
I recommend dipping the Arctic cable into liquid nitrogen to make it a superconductor, lowering the resistance of the cable and restoring details which the artists don't even realise existed
Great suggestion - thanks so much

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #3,974 of 11,881
It could be due to TT2. I never really liked its crossfeed feature when I auditioned it in my home. IIRC, the crossfeed feature introduced what sounded like treble grain to several cans that I tried, which included the LCD-2, HE-500, and the HE-6. That is why I liked the TT2 best with the filters and crossfeed turned off.
I notice the same issue even with Crossfeed at zero. I'll try the default filter with crossfeed at zero and see if this helps.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #3,975 of 11,881
How is the Arya with Black Label and Signature? I see u listed u have or had them. I'm considering getting one of them. I prefer Bluetooth dac/amps as I'm using es100 right now. I might use it with either ifi dac/amp if get it. Im not sure if its worth the price as I didn't like the chord mojo at that similar price.
FWIW: I really enjoy the Aryas with the Black label

Users who are viewing this thread

Back