HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #3,976 of 11,881
This...

Capture.JPG

Or this?...
Capture2.JPG

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #3,978 of 11,881
You kinda need to select one of the filters, but I get what you mean. Number 3-4 are a bit warmer than 1-2. I also agree on the Crossfeed, I also did not like it.
You're correct. I think I had the filter set at 1 most of the time. Going by memory, the filters didn't change the sound as much as the crossfeed did, the latter for the worse IMO.

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #3,979 of 11,881
I have Arya v2 coupled with a Chord TT2 using the Warm filter and Crossfeed at 1. Sounds great but i do notice the Arya's get muddy with complex or loud passages. Is this where the Arya falls flat? Any one can compare the Arya with the Susvara? Thanks.
I adjust my PC driver buffer (lowest, no safe mode), DAC filters (brickwall or fast linear), and amp gain settings (low is cleanest), to get the cleanest signal and the most linear bass to treble balance. Straight, no chaser, seems to work best for me. Other settings can tilt to bass heaviness too much, one way or another or impart coloration/obscure details. Arya (to me) can reproduce DAC filter differences. Could be the warm filter?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #3,980 of 11,881
FWIW: I really enjoy the Aryas with the Black label
I used to own the IFI Signature. It powers the Aryas well. The Xbass is fun but a bit too much for many songs. What I found that soundstage was a bit smaller and the treble came out more harsh.

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #3,981 of 11,881
I adjust my PC driver buffer (lowest, no safe mode), DAC filters (brickwall or fast linear), and amp gain settings (low is cleanest), to get the cleanest signal and the most linear bass to treble balance. Straight, no chaser, seems to work best for me. Other settings can tilt to bass heaviness too much, one way or another or impart coloration/obscure details. Arya (to me) can reproduce DAC filter differences. Could be the warm filter?
I have intermediate IT skills. I am running Windows 10. How do I adjust my PC driver buffer to the lowest and disable safe mode? What would this do exactly to the sound signature? I'll try low gain with Filter 1 and see if it helps. Thanks.

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #3,983 of 11,881
We have a winner!!!! :D

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #3,985 of 11,881
I have intermediate IT skills. I am running Windows 10. How do I adjust my PC driver buffer to the lowest and disable safe mode? What would this do exactly to the sound signature? I'll try low gain with Filter 1 and see if it helps. Thank
Though windows 10 has it's own generic sound driver, I downloaded the XMOS device driver for my specific DAC (SMSL Su-9) for better control options. After you get the driver for your DAC, go to sound control panel and set your DAC sound properties to 32bit 384khz or it's highest setting. Then go to your DAC driver's advanced settings and select the highest bitrate (2ch, 32bits) and lowest buffer size (8ms for mine). I usually uncheck safe mode for the least processed sound output (it can be slightly harsher on some tracks but the highs are more transparent). I use these settings for the least processed sound from my PC. I then set my DAC to the brick wall filter and standard sound color. Bass stays deep, tight, and tuneful, instruments and vocals can be felt, and treble is transparent while not being too over the top.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #3,986 of 11,881
Got a weird question about the Arya. I've been getting this creaking low pitched rubbing sound on my right cup. It's most apparent when I shift my head to the right or speak.

I think it's caused by the cup tilt hinge. I can tilt the cups back and forth and replicate the noise. This hinge:
ARYA.jpg

My left cup is fine. I've even tried wearing the Arya backwards to see if it's an issue with my jaw. It wasn't, I could hear it with my other ear too.

My question is whether it's safe to squirt a bit of WD40 into the hinge I pointed to? I'm not familiar with the internal components so I have no idea if that'll wreck anything.

Jun 7, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #3,987 of 11,881
Though windows 10 has it's own generic sound driver, I downloaded the XMOS device driver for my specific DAC (SMSL Su-9) for better control options. After you get the driver for your DAC, go to sound control panel and set your DAC sound properties to 32bit 384khz or it's highest setting. Then go to your DAC driver's advanced settings and select the highest bitrate (2ch, 32bits) and lowest buffer size (8ms for mine). I usually uncheck safe mode for the least processed sound output (it can be slightly harsher on some tracks but the highs are more transparent). I use these settings for the least processed sound from my PC. I then set my DAC to the brick wall filter and standard sound color. Bass stays deep, tight, and tuneful, instruments and vocals can be felt, and treble is transparent while not being too over the top.
It is probably wise to let the XMOS driver do it’s own thing, as it will automatically correct the sample rate and bitrate of the content you’re listening to with ASIO. Upscaling is already being done internally, and when you manually adjust it to a higher sample rate especially when adjusting properties as a Windows device it will let Windows do additional upscaling which is proven to be pretty abysmal compared to what the DAC itself does.

If you do load intense things on your PC it might be wise not to put the buffer size on the lowest setting, latency will be very low but it can drop-out or crackle when the CPU has too much busywork on it’s hands.

Jun 7, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #3,988 of 11,881
Got a weird question about the Arya. I've been getting this creaking low pitched rubbing sound on my right cup. It's most apparent when I shift my head to the right or speak.

I think it's caused by the cup tilt hinge. I can tilt the cups back and forth and replicate the noise. This hinge:
ARYA.jpg
My left cup is fine. I've even tried wearing the Arya backwards to see if it's an issue with my jaw. It wasn't, I could hear it with my other ear too.

My question is whether it's safe to squirt a bit of WD40 into the hinge I pointed to? I'm not familiar with the internal components so I have no idea if that'll wreck anything.
A tiny bit of WD40 should be fine

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #3,990 of 11,881
Silicone grease would be another option. Stays on longer and less odor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back