HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #3,406 of 11,876
Yep. And now it's filtering down to new budget hifiman models (HE400se). Which makes me wonder if we might see a new AyraSE at some point

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #3,407 of 11,876
Apr 4, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #3,408 of 11,876
What about LCD-X? I'm looking for a cheap god-like bass HP over 1500$ lol
About the LCD-X, I think you've made the right choice for bass. I went from Focal Clears to HiFiMan Aryas to Audeze LCD-3s, and it's hard to beat Audeze for visceral impact. Any techno music you listen to, or music that has kick drums, you will notice the extra slam right away. Unfortunately I had found Audezes that sell for under $2000 don't offer class leading detail (like being able to hear texture in bass guitars); the Aryas were the best for that. Clears have a resonant peak between 60 Hz and 80 Hz (shown as an impedance rise on the Tyll Hertsens graph) that will affect your sound. I would get the LCD-X creator's package (without their ridiculously large case which I have no room for), to save a few bucks. I do not think the LCD-3s have superior bass to the LCD-Xs, that's not what you're paying extra for. Audeze headphones (well the -2, the -X and the -3) are all dark (it seems like there's something missing in the upper midrange and you try and turn them up to hear it), so I would use the Reveal+ plugin, if you get them.

I have IEMs now, but there's no direct comparison possible. Their soundstage stinks in comparison to any of the ones listed above.

Apr 4, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #3,409 of 11,876
About the LCD-X, I think you've made the right choice for bass. I went from Focal Clears to HiFiMan Aryas to Audeze LCD-3s, and it's hard to beat Audeze for visceral impact. Any techno music you listen to, or music that has kick drums, you will notice the extra slam right away. Unfortunately I had found Audezes that sell for under $2000 don't offer class leading detail (like being able to hear texture in bass guitars); the Aryas were the best for that. Clears have a resonant peak between 60 Hz and 80 Hz (shown as an impedance rise on the Tyll Hertsens graph) that will affect your sound. I would get the LCD-X creator's package (without their ridiculously large case which I have no room for), to save a few bucks. I do not think the LCD-3s have superior bass to the LCD-Xs, that's not what you're paying extra for. Audeze headphones (well the -2, the -X and the -3) are all dark (it seems like there's something missing in the upper midrange and you try and turn them up to hear it), so I would use the Reveal+ plugin, if you get them.

I have IEMs now, but there's no direct comparison possible. Their soundstage stinks in comparison to any of the ones listed above.
The new LCD X 2021 revision may be an answer ...

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #3,410 of 11,876
hey guys, i've just got the Arya. Need some tips on what dac amp combo i should get? budget is under $900. currently i've got my topping D50s/A50s stack that was powering my Ananda. Should i upgrade it to modius /A90 or D90/A50s for the Arya?

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #3,411 of 11,876
hey guys, i've just got the Arya. Need some tips on what dac amp combo i should get? budget is under $900. currently i've got my topping D50s/A50s stack that was powering my Ananda. Should i upgrade it to modius /A90 or D90/A50s for the Arya?
You would be better served by one of the amp with LPS. There are few to choose from in your price range.

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #3,412 of 11,876
Modius plus jot2 or flux12S. I would go for BF2 instead of modius but that's slightly outside of 900usd

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #3,413 of 11,876
The new LCD X 2021 revision may be an answer ...
I will have a look, thanks. At least they hadn't raised the price. I'm looking for Audeze to figure out a way to add more detail in the upper midrange (the LCD-3s I had before sounded dark even when using the Reveal+ plugin). Focal Clears had smacked me in the forehead with detail, in comparison. Aryas had sounded warmer and less fatiguing.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #3,414 of 11,876
I will have a look, thanks. At least they hadn't raised the price. I'm looking for Audeze to figure out a way to add more detail in the upper midrange (the LCD-3s I had before sounded dark even when using the Reveal+ plugin). Focal Clears had smacked me in the forehead with detail, in comparison. Aryas had sounded warmer and less fatiguing.
I don't think the LCD-X will be more detailed than the Arya. If you want more detail than the Arya you probably have to go for a TOTL headphone like the HE1000SE, LCD4 or similar on that level.

Apr 4, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #3,415 of 11,876
I don't think the LCD-X will be more detailed than the Arya. If you want more detail than the Arya you probably have to go for a TOTL headphone like the HE1000SE, LCD4 or similar on that level.
Don't know about LCD-X but LCD-XC is noticeably more detailed in HF than Arya. MF and LF detail is about the same.

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #3,416 of 11,876
Don't know about LCD-X but LCD-XC is noticeably more detailed in HF than Arya. MF and LF detail is about the same.
I don't know about the XC but the X is on similar detail level than the Arya across the range. I would even give the edge to the Arya on this. Even though I personally prefer the X. Detail is not everything.
Even some TOTL headphones can sound artificial in the level of detail retrieval like you would never hear in real life. I prefer listening to music with a good amount of detail versus listening to a microscope.

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #3,417 of 11,876
I don't know about the XC but the X is on similar detail level than the Arya across the range. I would even give the edge to the Arya on this. Even though I personally prefer the X. Detail is not everything.
Even some TOTL headphones can sound artificial in the level of detail retrieval like you would never hear in real life. I prefer listening to music with a good amount of detail versus listening to a microscope.
I agree

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #3,418 of 11,876
I agree. The new LCD-X probably doesn't offer more detail than the old one (and if it did, that could cannibalize sales of their higher priced models), they had probably just found a way to make it less dark. After all, I had sold the LCD-3s. As long as I don't want to pay over $2000, I'm kind of stuck. Aryas have a plastic, hollow sounding upper midrange that I had noticed particularly with female vocals, but they had sounded fine with other types of music.

I might be inclined to try the new Clear Mgs, or else a second set of IEMs (hoping either of them have better soundstage and imaging than the ones I have now).

Apr 4, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #3,420 of 11,876

IMO the Arya stomps the X. OTOH, agreed, the LCD-4 crushes the Arya. The HE-6se2 when it comes around again at $699 is better than the Arya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back