HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #3,166 of 11,880
I feel you! Haven't tried any EQ yet. I'm using Audirvana and haven't figured out EQ'ing yet. To busy enjoying the Arya's. Guess it's still the honeymoon phase. I think that you hit the nail in the head with: something to warm up the highs. Can I ask you what you use?
You're way ahead of me in terms of powering them. Right now I'm using the FIIO Btr5 balanced into my PC and use Peace for EQ. I'm streaming through Amazon Music HD. I'm still waiting on a Schiit Vali hybrid tube amp so I can get a better idea of how the Arya sounds when properly powered.

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #3,167 of 11,880
You're way ahead of me in terms of powering them. Right now I'm using the FIIO Btr5 balanced into my PC and use Peace for EQ. I'm streaming through Amazon Music HD. I'm still waiting on a Schiit Vali hybrid tube amp so I can get a better idea of how the Arya sounds when properly powered.
Aah, well friend, I think you're in for a treat. As far as I've experienced they realy open up with extra power. I hope that'll be your experience too! For now the BTR5 makes for a real joy, I'm sure. Paired mine with my Fiio M15 this morning, making it a real pleasant morning.

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #3,168 of 11,880
Hi Guys, I've been a Arya owner for about two weeks now. First I was interested in the Empyreans and went for a listen. Also listened to the HE1000SE, but Arya just did it for me. Found the Empyreans too nice for my liking. It was very laid back, but I was missing the bite that the Arya's gave me instantly. I expected to leave in awe of the Empyreans, but fell in love with the Arya's instead. HE1000SE was to bright for my liking, even paired with the slighty warmish Questyle CMA TWELVE Master.

The Arya's gave me the whole spectrum, but in a far more engaging manner than the Empyreans. Don't get me wrong, I get why people love the Empyreans. Nothing beats it in the comfort department. But they lack something that the Arya gave me instantly: the snappy hit of snare drums, the crisp sound of strumming on an acoustic guitar, the real roar of rock and metal guitars, strings in orchestral music sound so lively. I even found EDM to be more enjoyable on the Arya's. They lack the real deep sub bass, but it's just so punchy. Oh, and I love to listen to soundtracks on the Arya's. Empyreans wins on design, comfort and smoothness overall, but that's it. In the end my wallet was very happy with my choice.

I've paired it with my Questyle CMA400i. First running it single ended, but now running it balanced with a FAW Noir HPC Mk2. So far, pure bliss. The Arya's love the extra power through balanced. Bass is tighter, slighty deeper and better defined and the whole soundstage opened up. I've read good things about the pairing of the Topping A90/D90 with the Arya's. Can anybody advise me in this matter. Will the Arya's benefit from this pairing compared to the Questyle CMA400i? Hope that someone can nudge me in the right direction. For now, I'm listening to my whole music collection and rediscovering everything.
It all depends on your taste. For me Arya with CMA 12 was far more engaging than A90. I have not auditioned Questyle CMA 400i nor D90.
A90 is very nice amp, ultra clean and transparent with wide soundstage. Also plentiful power to drive Arya. If you are after that sound go for it. Personally my preference is more body to the sound, more depth to the soundstage and more accurate representation of real instruments.

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #3,169 of 11,880
It all depends on your taste. For me Arya with CMA 12 was far more engaging than A90. I have not auditioned Questyle CMA 400i nor D90.
A90 is very nice amp, ultra clean and transparent with wide soundstage. Also plentiful power to drive Arya. If you are after that sound go for it. Personally my preference is more body to the sound, more depth to the soundstage and more accurate representation of real instruments.
Thanks for your reply! I auditioned the Arya driven by the CMA 12 at first and then went back to the CMA400i, because that was what I was going to use to drive them for now. From what I remember, I liked the pairing with the CMA 12, but it also seemed to take some of the edge off the Arya. I totally agree with you on your last sentence. If I understand your comment correctly, is the A90 more lean than the CMA12?

I guess, the best thing to do is audition some pairings when it's possible again. But in the meanwhile I'm loving all of the input I'm getting here. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #3,170 of 11,880
Thanks for your reply! I auditioned the Arya driven by the CMA 12 at first and then went back to the CMA400i, because that was what I was going to use to drive them for now. From what I remember, I liked the pairing with the CMA 12, but it also seemed to take some of the edge off the Arya. I totally agree with you on your last sentence. If I understand your comment correctly, is the A90 more lean than the CMA12?

I guess, the best thing to do is audition some pairings when it's possible again. But in the meanwhile I'm loving all of the input I'm getting here. Thanks guys!
Because A90 has relatively very wide but shallower soundstage all instruments appear nicely shaped but are a bit two dimensional. Not sure if I would describe that as lean. Excellent dynamic range is still present. A90 almost zooms in on the notes but somehow doesn't tie them as well as some other amplifiers. Sound is more incisive than CMA 12 which is somewhat fatiguing at least for my ears, but on the other hand, I guess, it is more suitable for analytical listening.

Feb 21, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #3,171 of 11,880
Because A90 has relatively very wide but shallower soundstage all instruments appear nicely shaped but are a bit two dimensional. Not sure if I would describe that as lean. Excellent dynamic range is still present. A90 almost zooms in on the notes but somehow doesn't tie them as well as some other amplifiers. Sound is more incisive than CMA 12 which is somewhat fatiguing at least for my ears, but on the other hand, I guess, it is more suitable for analytical listening.
I see, makes total sense now! I like the way you describe things. Again, thanks for clarifying! For now, I'm not sure if I prefer the more analytical side of things or the smoother side of things. But I guess that's part of the journey and the joy of discovering your own sound.

Feb 21, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #3,172 of 11,880
I see, makes total sense now! I like the way you describe things. Again, thanks for clarifying! For now, I'm not sure if I prefer the more analytical side of things or the smoother side of things. But I guess that's part of the journey and the joy of discovering your own sound.
Exactly

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #3,173 of 11,880
Every time I'm on the verge of possibly selling these I listen to them for a while and realize I just can't do it because they sound too good and I know I'd be kicking myself later if I did. Even though I've grown to enjoy dynamic drivers a bit more than planars the Arya seems to be the exception.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #3,174 of 11,880
Every time I'm on the verge of possibly selling these I listen to them for a while and realize I just can't do it because they sound too good and I know I'd be kicking myself later if I did. Even though I've grown to enjoy dynamic drivers a bit more than planars the Arya seems to be the exception.
What dynamic cans do you own that can compete with Arya?

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #3,175 of 11,880
Not really a question for me, but the Auteur is capable of sharing the use time with Arya. Arya's sense of space and stage on the bass and treble is incredible but I much prefer Auteur's mid and vocal. Arya's mid is just not as organic and intimate on that region compared to the sweet and musical sound of Auteur.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #3,176 of 11,880
Not really a question for me, but the Auteur is capable of sharing the use time with Arya. Arya's sense of space and stage on the bass and treble is incredible but I much prefer Auteur's mid and vocal. Arya's mid is just not as organic and intimate on that region compared to the sweet and musical sound of Auteur.
Agreed and to echo that thought, I think the way Arya present midrange is what caused me to lean towards other cans unfortunately

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #3,177 of 11,880
Agreed and to echo that thought, I think the way Arya present midrange is what caused me to lean towards other cans unfortunately
Yeah it really denpends on the genre for me. For me Arya is quite a substantial upgrade from Auteur for classical and instrumental music. But for anything with vocal, I just go back to Auteur. At this price range, both are top performers without obvious flaw(unlike some others at similar price)

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #3,178 of 11,880
Yeah it really denpends on the genre for me. For me Arya is quite a substantial upgrade from Auteur for classical and instrumental music. But for anything with vocal, I just go back to Auteur. At this price range, both are top performers without obvious flaw(unlike some others at similar price)
Most of my library is composed of 60 through 90s rock/alt rock and that's the only reason I sold them. I ended up preferring my EQd LCD-2 (2020) over the Arya and now the goal now is to fund a pair of Verite Closed at one point

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #3,179 of 11,880

When it comes to pure technical performance overall I'd say the Arya is still tops among my headphones but my LSA HP-2 and AP2000ti come close. Both have as much or better detail retrieval than the Arya and for me, I just like the dynamics of them more than planar headphones. Since both are closed-back they can't compete with the soundstage of the Arya but their imaging is still very good. The Arya is the best planar headphone I've ever owned and that's the main reason I can't see myself selling them because I don't think I'll be getting any others anytime soon.

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #3,180 of 11,880
When it comes to pure technical performance overall I'd say the Arya is still tops among my headphones but my LSA HP-2 and AP2000ti come close. Both have as much or better detail retrieval than the Arya and for me, I just like the dynamics of them more than planar headphones. Since both are closed-back they can't compete with the soundstage of the Arya but their imaging is still very good. The Arya is the best planar headphone I've ever owned and that's the main reason I can't see myself selling them because I don't think I'll be getting any others anytime soon.
In terms of planar headphones and dynamics (especially macro) Audeze is king

I've never heard of the two cans you've mentioned. Good to know they exist :)

I will say this though, in a perfect world one should own something by Hifiman in their collection at least. The way they present stage is quite unique

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back