Hifiman Arya Amp/Dac pairing >$750
Mar 21, 2021 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

brandonwhm

New Head-Fier
Hi All, I've just received my new Aryas about 3 days ago and I am already absolutely loving it, most definitely the endgame for me since I do not like the idea of collecting multiple headphones.

Here is my situation now, I always hear that the Aryas scale well with more and better amplification and I feel that I might be held back a little by my source gear ( Zen DAC and Drop Liquid Carbon X ). I intend to upgrade both of them at some point but I have been bouncing around back and forth between all the options of DACs and amps (not a bad thing) and would like some advice from those who have tried or those more experienced than me. Personally I'm aiming for the max of USD750 but can be persuaded to stretch it to an absolute max of USD950. Here were the combinations I have been looking at in no particular order:

1. Topping A30 Pro & D30 Pro ( I really dont like the looks of the D30 Pro )
2. Gustard H16 & X16
3. Topping D50s & Topping A90
4. SMSL SU-9 & Gustard H16/Topping A90
5. Topping D50s & any of the mentioned amps

Personally, the aesthetics of the stack also matters somewhat, since most of the above are well measuring apart from some subtle differences in sound and power. I do not particularly need any special features except maybe MQA since I do use Tidal but MQA is a bonus. I've also been advised that a class A amp could be a good pairing with the Arya to bring some added warmth to the sound. Admittedly I do like a slight warm shift but don't want to get into tubes. I've heard from JV's video on the build with the Arya that the Gustard H16 has a slight warm shift and slightly stronger bass response. Could this be due to it being a discrete circuit (is this considered as class a)? I apologies for my limited knowledge as I got into this whole audio thing not that long ago and have just been enjoying the music and only got into this upper end of audio just recently. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 13
Audio-GD NFB-11.38 DAC/amp, well under your budget.

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 13
I'd steer clear of the D50s. The A90 imo is a good mid-term solution, but you'd likely find yourself wanting more down the line. The Gustard route might not be a bad option (no experience with those, but read good things). You might look into the Yulong/Da'art Aquila II -- no personal experience with this one, but it seems to check all the boxes. If you do end up stretching to 950 and still have Topping in mind, imo the D90 + a budget amp would give better results than other combinations that include the A90 or D50s. Ifi's probably also worth a look in that price range. I know people seem to like their amps especially.

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 13
Here is my situation now, I always hear that the Aryas scale well with more and better amplification and I feel that I might be held back a little by my source gear ( Zen DAC and Drop Liquid Carbon X )

You have kind of a tricky one here. I'm assuming you're referring to Arya Stealth since you just received it? Or is it the original? I say it's tricky because the Arya's sensitivity places it in a grey area where it depends how loud you listen and how much bass you like.

The Carbon X and Zen are also a bit of a grey area, in the sense that the distrotion is (strangely) so high that it may be audible. Can you tell us a little more about your listening habits? Is portability something that you need? Probably not given they're open back, but never hurts to ask.

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 13
You have kind of a tricky one here. I'm assuming you're referring to Arya Stealth since you just received it? Or is it the original? I say it's tricky because the Arya's sensitivity places it in a grey area where it depends how loud you listen and how much bass you like.

The Carbon X and Zen are also a bit of a grey area, in the sense that the distrotion is (strangely) so high that it may be audible. Can you tell us a little more about your listening habits? Is portability something that you need? Probably not given they're open back, but never hurts to ask.
I've actually upgraded considerably since then. The Arya remains my headphone of choice but my stack is now a ifi Pro iCan that I got used and a Ares 2 for the DAC

I have the V2. I received mine back in March

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 13
@brandonwhm I am wondering what you ended up getting and how it has been for you :D.

I got my Arya not too long ago and I am thinking about getting a similar stack like the ones you're proposing. I currently have an Ifi Micro iDSD with an iPurifier 3.
I currently am using a ifi Pro iCan and a Denafrips Ares 2. I am pretty sure this is where I'll stop as far as my amp/DAC goes.

I upgraded through several variations of my stack be for getting here though.

For my DAC, I cycled through a D50s, SGD-1 and the Ares 2.

Amp wise I had the Carbon X, Gusyard H16 (that died), A90 and then the pro ican.

My current setup is what I think many can consider the endgame. I will not say definitively that I will not upgrade further, but it has been several months and I haven't really though about anything headphone related. I can see myself maybe going for a Susvara at some point but that's sort of a dream at the moment.

For the Arya I strongly recommend against an uber clean stack like most toppings/SMSLs are. I suggest something like a Jot2, SA-1 or a Burson. DAC wise, something like the Ares 2 does suit it nicely, although the SGD 1 I had was pretty good too.

Nov 16, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 13
I currently am using a ifi Pro iCan and a Denafrips Ares 2. I am pretty sure this is where I'll stop as far as my amp/DAC goes.

I upgraded through several variations of my stack be for getting here though.

For my DAC, I cycled through a D50s, SGD-1 and the Ares 2.

Amp wise I had the Carbon X, Gusyard H16 (that died), A90 and then the pro ican.

My current setup is what I think many can consider the endgame. I will not say definitively that I will not upgrade further, but it has been several months and I haven't really though about anything headphone related. I can see myself maybe going for a Susvara at some point but that's sort of a dream at the moment.

For the Arya I strongly recommend against an uber clean stack like most toppings/SMSLs are. I suggest something like a Jot2, SA-1 or a Burson. DAC wise, something like the Ares 2 does suit it nicely, although the SGD 1 I had was pretty good too.
Wow, congrats on your current setup! I am not going to be able to spend that much on a DAC and AMP however. I am wondering, how would you say the Gustard H16 compared to the A90? Also, why don't you think an uber clean stack suits the Arya? Just personal preference?

I might add that mine are Arya V1 (that I bought as a demo from my local Hi-Fi store with full warranty still :D).

Nov 16, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 13
Wow, congrats on your current setup! I am not going to be able to spend that much on a DAC and AMP however. I am wondering, how would you say the Gustard H16 compared to the A90? Also, why don't you think an uber clean stack suits the Arya? Just personal preference?

I might add that mine are Arya V1 (that I bought as a demo from my local Hi-Fi store with full warranty still :D).
It's mostly down to personal preference I think. The V1 and V2 Arya are already known to be a little shouty in the upper mids. This was definitely a factor when I was comparing amps like the A90 to the iCan or even to the H16. It was a night and day difference in that regard, there will be some tracks that I just did not enjoy with the A90 or even outright avoid but do not on the iCan.

Personally I would take the H16 over the A90 if mine had not failed. The H16 was a little more relaxed than the A90 although the A90 felt like it could drive the low end of the Arya slightly better. Or alternatives for me would be the Jot2 or SA-1, all of which I would prefer over the A90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back