HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #4,231 of 11,884
Has anyone done a comparison between all the Arya revisions (including the latest 2021 revision)? If so, could I trouble you to post your findings here?
Can't find the review but most have said that the newer revision (with the outer cloth) doesn't sound as peaky-bright as older models. I've got the revised edition and it doesn't sound annoyingly bright or sibilant to me.

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #4,232 of 11,884
Can't find the review but most have said that the newer revision (with the outer cloth) doesn't sound as peaky-bright as older models. I've got the revised edition and it doesn't sound annoyingly bright or sibilant to me.
I heard in some reviews that the v2 doesn't have the so called legendary sub bass like v1 or maybe it's kinda toned down..... Is that true???

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #4,234 of 11,884
I heard in some reviews that the v2 doesn't have the so called legendary sub bass like v1 or maybe it's kinda toned down..... Is that true???
IDK about that, the sub bass on my set is the best I've owned in a HP. It rumbles when the music calls for it and is very well defined. Mid bass can sometimes be meh. Punchiness depends on how they're amped, IMO. Class A or AB, discrete amps are better I've found.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #4,235 of 11,884
Hello guys, i have received my Arya since some days. I have burn in with a special CD until now.

I love it so far but... i dont know why but i feel like the vocals sometimes are too far away.. compare to the instruments.
I tried to EQ with oratorry1990 settings, it's better but i'm still not 100 % satisfied .
My 2nd problem is about the clamping force, i feel that it's a bit too strong.

Do you have the same issues? Do you think that the HE1000se can resolve this? i am tempted ... :D
I think this may be a by-product of Arya's "spacious" presentation, wide open staging, and transparency. In my case it is song and recording quality or file quality dependent. Takes some getting used to, especially coming from more intimate or closed-in sounding cans. What cans are you used to? What are you amping them with?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #4,239 of 11,884
I sent my broken v1's back to Hifiman (my fault) and they sent me a new v2 within a week. Since my v1's were my daily drivers at the time, this is what I experienced:

My V1's had greater sub-bass presence and fullness*, more withdrawn mids, and peakier treble than my V2's.

*This is more readily apparent when you have the v1's cups floating beyond your ears, a la the 1266 (see this post). That was the v1's neat party trick. I experience this with my HEKv1 too. Sadly, my v2's does not exhibit this phenomena. Still, the v1's pads are too thin to experience this without setting the cups beyond your ears. I remember people modding the HEKv1's with vegan pads (greater pad distance from the drivers) to experience this sub-bass presence and rumble (see this post).

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #4,240 of 11,884
I sent my broken v1's back to Hifiman (my fault) and they sent me a new v2 within a week. Since my v1's were my daily drivers at the time, this is what I experienced:

My V1's had greater sub-bass presence and fullness*, more withdrawn mids, and peakier treble than my V2's.

*This is more readily apparent when you have the v1's cups floating beyond your ears, a la the 1266 (see this post). That was the v1's neat party trick. I experience this with my HEKv1 too. Sadly, my v2's was not exhibit this phenomena.
Since you have experience with both can you please tell me if there is any noticeable difference in the build quality of the two....... Is v2 better in that regard or is it the same......

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #4,243 of 11,884
Since you have experience with both can you please tell me if there is any noticeable difference in the build quality of the two....... Is v2 better in that regard or is it the same......
Same build quality except for the following:

magnets: v1 - painted over; v2 - unpainted (exposed)

rear grille cover: v1 - mesh; v2 - ~speaker cloth
comment: I thought I read somewhere that the paint was flaking off the magnets of some of the large earcup models, so Hifiman decided to leave them unpainted. I was under the impression that there was more to the paint than aesthetics, like better protection for the magnets against corrosion. Anyways, the speaker cloth does a better job of covering up the exposed magnets from view but not necessarily from the elements.

earpad dust cover: v1 - on the earpad; v2 - in front of the ear cup chamber.
comment: The v1 configuration allowed one to access the ear cup chamber, which is sometimes necessary to remove a hair strand that managed to find its way in there and cause driver buzzing. The v2 does not allow that anymore since the dust cover is now over the earcup chamber. Still, one can probably remove the dust cover from the v2's pretty easily and use the v1 earpads. However, that will likely void your warranty. The v2 design does allow for greater depth for those with large/wide ears.

earpads: v1 - ultrapads (w/ dust cover); v2 - harmony pads (w/o dust cover)
comment: Now, this could be just personal experience, but the harmony pads that came with my v2's were considerably stiffer than the v1 pads, which made the v2's unbearable to wear after ten minutes or so since the lack of give made my jaw ache. When I wore them for over 30mins and took them off, my jaw ached for the rest of the day. In contrast, I wore my v1's almost daily, hours at a time, without any issues due to the softer ultrapad cushioning. I don't know if it was product variance with the harmony pads that came with my v2's since there are plenty out there who seem to have no problems with these pads. After more than two weeks, the v2 pads weren't getting any softer. So, I obtained a new pair of ultrapads, cut out the dust cover, and used them with my v2's. The new ultrapads were considerably more comfortable than the harmony pads that came with my v2. After swapping out the harmony pads for the ultrapads, the comfort level of the v2 returned to the same level as my old v1's.

yokes: v1 - metal?; v2 - plastic
comment: I do not remember if the v1's yokes were metal, but I strongly suspect that the v2 yokes are plastic since they feel and ring differently from the yokes of my HEXv2, which are definitely metal.

I hope this info helps!

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #4,244 of 11,884
I think this may be a by-product of Arya's "spacious" presentation, wide open staging, and transparency. In my case it is song and recording quality or file quality dependent. Takes some getting used to, especially coming from more intimate or closed-in sounding cans. What cans are you used to? What are you amping them with?
my amplifier is a Burson reference 3 conductor , and before the arya i am more used to the lsa hp1.
But this year i also had the ananda, the focal clear pro etc..

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #4,245 of 11,884
my amplifier is a Burson reference 3 conductor , and before the arya i am more used to the lsa hp1.
But this year i also had the ananda, the focal clear pro etc..
Good stuff. Is the Ref 3 bright, neutral, or warm-ish? How's Arya compared to the LSA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back