HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #4,218 of 11,880
@In1unison

depends on the point of view.

Imagine you live in a household, where your listening station is in the living room, but you can't listen to your music because of open back headphone, while someone else want's to watch a movie, than you would need a second station somewhere else, which should be expensive to build and maybe something else for on the way.

Now imagine you would have an ifi mobile dac/amp that can drive more demanding planar headphones and high impedance ones everywhere, but can be stationd at home as desktop amp if needed with different devices or pc/mac and can be used outside as well. Isn't that exciting and at the end cheaper?

The ifi diablo for example can even drive the hifiman susvara effortless no matter where you are and cost less than some people would pay only for the amplifier, let alone dac and/or streamer.

Say anyone ever try the Hifiman Arya with Chord Mojo..... Will it be able to run it.... I mean not like 100%... I know it's not possible..... But will it work..... Until i get enough saved up for GSX mini🤑....????

If you got the mojo already, it got enough juice for the arya, you won't be limited. Better options, value wise, would be ifi xdsd/xcan or micro black label or used micro signature.

The xcan is Bluetooth only and got a lot of power, the xdsd is slightly more powerful than the mojo, but can be used as desktop amp and with Bluetooth. The black label und signature are both refind versions with huge amount of power for their size with great continuous power output and peak output that can drive the arya absolutely effortless with demanding EQ settings.

There are even more options available with 1W power at 32ohm and enough voltage/current.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #4,219 of 11,880
@In1unison

Imagine you live in a household, where your listening station is in the living room, but you can't listen to your music because of open back headphone, while someone else want's to watch a movie, than you would need a second station somewhere else, which should be expensive to build and maybe something else for on the way.

Now imagine you would have an ifi mobile dac/amp that can drive more demanding planar headphones and high impedance ones everywhere, but can be stationd at home as desktop amp if needed with different devices or pc/mac and can be used outside as well. Isn't that exciting and at the end cheaper?

The ifi diablo for example can even drive the hifiman susvara effortless no matter where you are and cost less than some people would pay only for the amplifier, let alone dac and/or streamer.

If you got the mojo already, it got enough juice for the arya, you won't be limited. Better options, value wise, would be ifi xdsd/xcan or micro black label or used micro signature.

The xcan is Bluetooth only and got a lot of power, the xdsd is slightly more powerful than the mojo, but can be used as desktop amp and with Bluetooth. The black label und signature are both refind versions with huge amount of power for their size with great continuous power output and peak output that can drive the arya absolutely effortless with demanding EQ settings.

There are even more options available with 1W power at 32ohm and enough voltage/current.
Hmmmm...... I see Thanks Man👍

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #4,220 of 11,880
@In1unison

Not sure why are you addressing the first part of the post to me? I agree that portable devices have advantages in cost and usability and iFi portable products are built with exceptional quality and sound good too.

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #4,221 of 11,880
@shreyanzh

you could google for headphone calculator and type in the values of the arya and measure for example dbA coming from your headphones on your highest listening level and take the peak value as a reference to find out, how much power you need and add an additional 10dbA just to be safe for eq and/or quiet source and that's roughly what you need to drive the headphones. Not all headphones keep the same ohm across the frequency range, which is why it's better to have some headroom, or just buying and trying out yourself (objectively) :)

@In1unison

haha, see it as someone who is listening to a conversation at the table of two other people and taking part just to show a different opinion. Sorry if that was too intrusive.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #4,223 of 11,880
My 2nd problem is about the clamping force, i feel that it's a bit too strong.
Hi, I had this problem, solved it by relaxing head band bridge spring a bit, but be very careful...

Jul 12, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #4,224 of 11,880
@migo
I use Google Translate and recklessly missed a word that is in the opposite context from what I thought.
So, the word "poor" instead of "pathetic"
I apologize for the misunderstanding, although I have the impression that you understood me as I intended

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #4,225 of 11,880
@migo
I use Google Translate and recklessly missed a word that is in the opposite context from what I thought.
So, the word "poor" instead of "pathetic"
I apologize for the misunderstanding, although I have the impression that you understood me as I intended
:) yes I got it :) I think :) NP.

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #4,226 of 11,880
Hmm I see, I was under the impression both amp and DAC had to be balanced.

If your amp is balanced, to get the very best out of it you would need a balanced DAC and balanced cables between them. Here we assume that both devices are fully balanced, and not every product out there with XLRs is :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 13, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #4,228 of 11,880
Has anyone done a comparison between all the Arya revisions (including the latest 2021 revision)? If so, could I trouble you to post your findings here?
chuckolatte has done that:

However, based on my personal experience I assume that there is no any particular sound change between the revisions other than mere unit variations. Sometimes it leads to a channel imbalance if a quality control operator puts two unmatched drivers into one unit. It happens to all the planar producers including Audeze. I returned my first unbalanced Arya back to the factory and received a replacement that sounded much better overall, with a complimentary present and sincere apologies. And since then I kept this particular unit that I liked. I remember having an Audeze LCD-XC with much worse channel imbalance. I can only imagine how different their headphones might sound even within the same revision. I even had to start a transaction dispute in order to return the LCD-XC for a full refund. Unlike Hifiman, Audeze accused me of hearing damage and said they would only replace the headphone if they test it and find faulty, i.e. by their arbitrary decision.

Having said that, maybe there is a certain established difference between the revisions of Arya, idk. I couldn't hear a major difference other than what I can attribute to a unit variation, worn out earpads, etc.

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #4,229 of 11,880
Hi, considering giving the Arya another chance, but only have a Modi 3 as a DAC and would like to upgrade to a balanced setup to go with my Singxer SA-1. Any recommendations for a balanced DAC?

You don't have to buy a balanced DAC to use with a balanced amp because the amp will convert and process the signal with its balanced circuit anyway. Especially true with the Singxer SA-1 which doesn't even show you the volume difference between the balanced and SE inputs.

Only if you consider DSD or if you're looking for an upgrade in detail or flavor (Sabre vs AKM for example), then go for it. Otherwise, your Modi 3 is already a good enough DAC for the Singxer SA-1 and Arya.

For $460 you can buy SMSL SU9 - excellent balanced DAC for the price, lots of options and connections, impressive specs and measurements.
I second the SMSL su-9, I own one. It's a good DAC that has good features and doesn't sound ruthlessly bright but is still detailed and transparent. Good mid range kit that's better sounding than most entry level stuff, IMO, but doesn't cost $700+. Gustard x-16 seems good too. I haven't heard it but I'd buy it if I was in the market for a DAC, just to go with my Gustard amp.

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #4,230 of 11,880
@shreyanzh

you could google for headphone calculator and type in the values of the arya and measure for example dbA coming from your headphones on your highest listening level and take the peak value as a reference to find out, how much power you need and add an additional 10dbA just to be safe for eq and/or quiet source and that's roughly what you need to drive the headphones. Not all headphones keep the same ohm across the frequency range, which is why it's better to have some headroom, or just buying and trying out yourself (objectively) :)

@In1unison

haha, see it as someone who is listening to a conversation at the table of two other people and taking part just to show a different opinion. Sorry if that was too intrusive.
I see...... I'll do that.... 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back