HiFiMan Ananda BT - Biggest, Baddest, Bluetooth Headphones
Feb 28, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #121 of 294
I am quoting the office Hifiman support answer regarding the volume issue.

"Hi there, I heard back form the engineers, apparently its a windows thing. They say there is some number of volume integers within windows with the driver that means there are only about 12 steps not the software faked 100 that windows otherwise likes to output so you can have the 100 steps but you take an audio quality hit that they felt was unacceptable (same guys that did the R2R2000.) So this is why it behaves in that way, it was a question oy getting the best audio quality and the rule at HIFIMAN is generally audio quality above all else :)"

And

"Hi there, well presently we aren't seeing a good way to volume bump, I mean there are obvious software things but they always add distortion and usually clipping too. We are looking into it to see if we can get a solution that doesnt have negative consequences."

Feb 28, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #122 of 294
I am quoting the office Hifiman support answer regarding the volume issue.

"Hi there, I heard back form the engineers, apparently its a windows thing. They say there is some number of volume integers within windows with the driver that means there are only about 12 steps not the software faked 100 that windows otherwise likes to output so you can have the 100 steps but you take an audio quality hit that they felt was unacceptable (same guys that did the R2R2000.) So this is why it behaves in that way, it was a question oy getting the best audio quality and the rule at HIFIMAN is generally audio quality above all else :)"

And

"Hi there, well presently we aren't seeing a good way to volume bump, I mean there are obvious software things but they always add distortion and usually clipping too. We are looking into it to see if we can get a solution that doesnt have negative consequences."
Thanks for sharing their feedback @Ichos. I don't think that should be the case when using ASIO or WASAPI, both of which bypass the windows mixer. It should be possible to send bitperfect audio to the headphones and it should sound the same regardless of O/S.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #125 of 294
The same issue with Android phone.
I have connected successfully the Ananda to an Android phone but they don't get loud enough.
Again the only solution is to use some gain preamp like the one of the USB player pro.
So the only way to get this headphone loud enough is to use Bluetooth connection and then again you must bypass volume cap from the Android developer menu.

So @TeamHiFiMAN until this issue is resolved I have decided to subtract one star from my review.

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #127 of 294
None of all the DACs I've ever used had that problem. Sounds like a poor software implementation to me.

And this made me think.
Is it possible that no one of the professional reviewers from respected web pages like Headfonia didn't encounter this issue?
It isn't mentioned even in a sole review.
Makes me wonder and ponder about several things.....

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #128 of 294
And this made me think.
Is it possible that no one of the professional reviewers from respected web pages like Headfonia didn't encounter this issue?
It isn't mentioned even in a sole review.
Makes me wonder and ponder about several things.....

Professional reviewers aren't a trustworthy source for anything. When was the last time you've read a negative or even critical review on a site like Headfonia, Headfonics and the like? These people heavily rely on free review samples from manufacturers (I better won't comment on this approach and business model) , so they'll avoid saying anything negative at all cost. But hey, as a compensatio, you'll get three pages of cable comparisons in every review :rolling_eyes:

I think that's the reason why some manufacturers do these review tours. The only way to get some honest user feedback these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back