HifiMan 1000 v2 vs SE
Sep 15, 2021 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

WoollyGeezer

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I am going to picking up a new pair of headphones this week.

I love the tuning of the Ananda and personally despised the Arya (v3 version). I have read many reports that the Hkv2/SE more resembles the sound of the Ananda.

Crinnacle's headphone tier list actually rates the he1000 v2 greater than the SE. From my experience and extensive headphone testing, Crinnacle tends to be spot on with my own reviews. Does anyone else have opinions on the two sets?

I listen to a lot of rock (and classical etc, very large range of music). I have the Burson Soloist 3X so driving either of them won't be a problem.

Sep 15, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 32
I only have experience with the HE1000SE and preferred both my HD800S and Clear to it due to lack of slam/dynamics. I'd say it's not that great for rock but fine for vocals and some classical.

Sep 15, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 32
I only have experience with the HE1000SE and preferred both my HD800S and Clear to it due to lack of slam/dynamics. I'd say it's not that great for rock but fine for vocals and some classical.
I actually prefer the ananda to the focal clear ogs (might be the planar preference). Once I went planar it was hard to go back, I used the q701s for years and was not too impressed with the hd800 but have not heard the hd800s

Sep 15, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 32
I actually prefer the ananda to the focal clear ogs (might be the planar preference). Once I went planar it was hard to go back, I used the q701s for years and was not too impressed with the hd800 but have not heard the hd800s
What is it about planars that you like?

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 32
I had both. I also love the tuning of the Ananda and they weren't a real upgrade for me because they don't have Ananda's tuning. So it's more like spending 4 times the price to get a slightly better technical headphone but it doesn't have that special Ananda tuning.

I think they are on the same level. The biggest difference is the shrunken soundstage size of the SE. The V2 is a bit more on the fun side and the SE on the cleaner. The V2 is maybe the more special headphone and if you don't want to drive it from a DAP (where the SE is really good) i don't see any reason for why you should get the SE.

Sep 15, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 32
Does anyone have any experience with a headphone that would be an upgrade to the ananda? Any brand and any price point. I love the tonality and the in your face sound but if it had a larger soundstage and better build quality it would be absolutely perfect. My Arya’s swivel cups are infinitely more comfortable than the Ananda’s fixed cups.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 32
Does anyone have any experience with a headphone that would be an upgrade to the ananda? Any brand and any price point. I love the tonality and the in your face sound but if it had a larger soundstage and better build quality it would be absolutely perfect. My Arya’s swivel cups are infinitely more comfortable than the Ananda’s fixed cups.
Well technically there are a lot of upgrades. The Utopia is for sure one. If you want to keep it closer to Anandas tonality maybe look for the Jade II. When i had it i found it clearly better than Ananda. But it has the most crappy build quality i've ever seen. Actually i find the Anandas build pretty good for Hifiman standards and it matches it's pricepoint.

Best built headphones i had were Utopia and Empyrean. But Empyrean is not an upgrade over Ananda.

Sep 15, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 32
Hey Guys,

I love the tuning of the Ananda and personally despised the Arya (v3 version). I have read many reports that the Hkv2/SE more resembles the sound of the Ananda.

Crinnacle's headphone tier list actually rates the he1000 v2 greater than the SE. From my experience and extensive headphone testing, Crinnacle tends to be spot on with my own reviews. Does anyone else have opinions on the two sets?

I listen to a lot of rock (and classical etc, very large range of music). I have the Burson Soloist 3X so driving either of them won't be a problem.

What did you dislike about the arya in comparison to the ananda ?

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 32
HFM HE-6se v2 crunches the Ananda for the same money range.

6se does not have a bigger soundstage, but its closer to correct IMO, the Ananda is too tall. Construction ? About the same.

You have to go over $1k to start getting more competition. The Emp among others such as the LCD-4, HEK se and v2, Susvara, crunch the Ananda.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 32
What did you dislike about the arya in comparison to the ananda ?
Tonality. Music sounded too distant. Boomy bass overshadowing the already thin midrange. Also I only have experience with the v3 and according to other reviewers it was a major step backwards

HFM HE-6se v2 crunches the Ananda for the same money range.

6se does not have a bigger soundstage, but its closer to correct IMO, the Ananda is too tall. Construction ? About the same.

You have to go over $1k to start getting more competition.
I’m willing to spend whatever it takes

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 32
The bass extension, image structure, and clarity

Don't forget a lot of that crystalline definition comes from the fact that planars ring a lot and usually at several frequencies that are detectable. I myself am a planar fanatic - but you need to be armed with waterfall plots and a digital parametric EQ (and then step around until you find that frequency area YOUR can suffers with because a good chance its not the same as the test can) if you are going to staunch it to a level its not annoying - or you just live with it. But its obviously cruft when you A v B stock vs the result of cutting the most severe ringing.

This is all true with the: HE-6, HE-500, HEX v2, HE-6 se v1, HE-5se, HE5-LE, Brainwavz Alara. Believe me, its got nothing to do with brand, it has everything to do with slowing down the diaphragm fast enough. The initial wave is quite good, which is what one tends to hear, but complex music with lots going on, the chaos is right there - esp over 1k Hz.

My modded HE-500 is still my daily go to, and it has 3 distinct frequencies where the ringing is audible, EQ it down (not out, not possible) and I think what you get is heard as more sweet, rich, coherent - somewhat akin to how 2nd order harmonics out of well constructed tube amps can strike one.

Sep 15, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 32
Hey Guys,

I own Ananda, Ayra, HE1000v1 and HE1000SE.

The Ananda has great neutral tuning. That's the best part of it. But, it lack any bass slam and the texture and the resolution isn't that great.

The Ayra are fantastic. It has bass, but no punch and slam like a Focal Clear. But, it is a great all arounder. A bit on the bright side, so you would need to get a warm source.

The HE1000v1 is terrible. I just picked it up and it was so bad, I bought the upgrade from Hifiman to a v2. My understanding is that it has much better tuning. More like the Ananda. I'll know if a few weeks.

The HE1000SE is my favorite headphone currently, but only when I EQ them because they are very bright and fatiguing without it. But, once I do EQ them, they are nearly perfect for my taste. Great bass response, great resolution, great sound stage.

I will compare the HE1000v2 and SE and keep the one I like the most and probably upgrade the other one to Susvara.

So far, my keepers are Arya and HE1000SE.

Sep 15, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 32
Tonality. Music sounded too distant. Boomy bass overshadowing the already thin midrange. Also I only have experience with the v3 and according to other reviewers it was a major step backwards

I’m willing to spend whatever it takes

That is an interesting take. I don't know how much the magnets change the FR in the v3 Arya ,but most of the EGG shaped hifimans have flat bass.

1631743772371.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back