HIFIMAN’s HE1000 Upgrade Discussion
Oct 15, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #31 of 154
Still prefer the V2 pads option only. 

$650 USD + shipping translates roughly to $1k+ AUD for me after currency conversion. That is close to the cost of another headphone... think Elear.

Now where are them V2 pads
rolleyes.gif

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #32 of 154
The new ear pads are nice and comfortable (unlike that horrible one for V1)...but the cable not very much.

V2 is slightly more comfortable to wear but I need more time to compare both V1 and V2 to come to a conclusion. So far the V2 is still less 'exciting' and 'lacking' to me compared to Utopia but I can understand why I fell in love with the original V1 in the first place... just that my preference changed once I got hold of my Utopia.

Mark my words...I think this new cable is gonna be a problem going forward, so I would welcome the replacement ear pads alone if possible.

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #33 of 154
I have already picked up the HD 800S last month. Two days ago in HK I just picked up the Grado GS 2000e. I am also waiting ONLY for the pads. I am living in Saigon so the V1 pads are just way too hot. The 800S, still sounding too sharp. The new Grado after only 2 days it's like heaven on earth. Cheers.

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #34 of 154
  I have already picked up the HD 800S last month. Two days ago in HK I just picked up the Grado GS 2000e. I am also waiting ONLY for the pads. I am living in Saigon so the V1 pads are just way too hot. The 800S, still sounding too sharp. The new Grado after only 2 days it's like heaven on earth. Cheers.

You'll need a good copper cable and go with a meaty amp (tube are preferable) then the HD800S will open up and sing

I have a WA8 that matches very well with my Utopia and to a large extend, the HD800S too. Need a meaty SS amp for my HEK

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #35 of 154
The new ear pads are nice and comfortable (unlike that horrible one for V1)...but the cable not very much.

V2 is slightly more comfortable to wear but I need more time to compare both V1 and V2 to come to a conclusion. So far the V2 is still less 'exciting' and 'lacking' to me compared to Utopia but I can understand why I fell in love with the original V1 in the first place... just that my preference changed once I got hold of my Utopia.

Mark my words...I think this new cable is gonna be a problem going forward, so I would welcome the replacement ear pads alone if possible.

I got myself a Lavricable 12 core balanced cable. Its fantastic. Beats the original V1 cable.

My existing V1 earpads are in need of replacement, so if Hifiman release their V2 earpad replacements, that would be great!

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #36 of 154

You'll need a good copper cable and go with a meaty amp (tube are preferable) then the HD800S will open up and sing

I have a WA8 that matches very well with my Utopia and to a large extend, the HD800S too. Need a meaty SS amp for my HEK

Thanks Toolman: I did ordered the Labkable for the 800S. It didn't land before I had to get out of town. I have the WA7 and yesssss this sounded the most kind to my years with the 800S. While I am away for almost 5 days the 800S is at full blast at home with the Violectric. I am new to head fi but I don't mind buying gear just to try them. I like the Edition X sound but can't last 20 mins without my face starts to itch. Thanks for your reply.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #39 of 154
I went for the V2 upgrade program on Friday and what a JOKE, I paid my 699 USD and followed the instructions on the website. After paying an additional 100 USD to DHL my V1's back to them they emailed me and told me to send them to a different address then the one published on their website. They also told me if I declared them for more than 50 USD I would be responsible for paying the import taxes. Further they informed me I would not receive a new HE1000v2 retail set just the headphones and cables (so I can never sell or trade them because I wont have a box or the accessories). This is an absurd joke. I emailed them back and said this is not acceptable they have already been sent, and they simply said please recall the package and re-ship it. So I called DHL and paid another 100 USD to have them pull the package off the plane and change the shipping address and declared value. So now I'm into this upgrade for 900 USD.

I have emailed Yangang and Dr Fang, and explained how absurd it is to publish the wrong instructions on the website, and to cause me to pay double shipping and to charge nearly 1000 USD with shipping for a non retail version of the headphones, as they are really only worth 50% of the true value than. Customer service has said they will talk to management and try to accommodate my request, if they don't I am thinking about posting of my experience on every audiophile forum in existence. This is beyond poor customer service, it's borderline incompetence. The wrong shipping instructions still remain on their website today, so they obviously could care less how many people they inconvenience and cause to pay double shipping because of their laziness to update with the correct instructions. I could easily sell my V1s and buy V2s for less then the 1000 USD I have spent in this horrible nightmare of a situation, and I would have a brand new retail box, not just headphones and cables.

I sincerely hope they do the right thing and send me the retail version and not just the headphones and cables. Or they will be reimbursing me for my shipping costs, refunding me and I will simply sell my V1s and buy V2s for half the cost of this upgrade (nightmare) process.

I strongly urge you not to do the upgrade unless they change the policy to provide a retail V2 kit, you will never be able to sell your V2's or trade them in the future. Your better off sticking with the V1's or selling them on HeadFi and buying new V2's it's cheaper and you get the full retail kit. Then in the future if you want LCD-4s or Utopias you can easily sell your V2's and make the change, you cannot do that without a box and accessories. HifiMan has made this upgrade extremely overpriced, a very poor value (by excluding the packaging which is essential if you ever want to get rid of your v2's), and insanely overly costly and complicated by posting the wrong shipping instructions on their website.

Just be sure you know what your getting into before you hit the purchase button, because it's certainly not what you would expect.

S

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #40 of 154
WoW...just wow :open_mouth:

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #41 of 154
Yeah, that was Friday and the instructions on the website remain the same. So they either could care less, or are just too incompetent to realize where the initial shipping instructions came from.

If you do decide to do the upgrade and pay 700 + shipping for headphones and cables with no box (big mistake) don't ship to the address on the website (definitely not the HK one) email customerservice@hifiman.com first and ask them where to ship to.

They also require you to put a RA# on the box which they don't give you until you email, so make sure you email them, don't just purchase and proceed to follow the instructions, or you may end up waiting a very long time to get your headphones and cables (I strongly suggest you argue for a retail kit as well). They really are worth a fraction of the price without the box and packaging, you'll never be able to trade or resell them.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #42 of 154
I'm still trying to spend more time auditioning the V2 before deciding, but it us very unlikely that I will want to pump in another 20+% for the upgrade.

So far I'm liking the pads but absolutely hated the cable (ok I will use my DHC anyway so I couldn't care less about this).

Not that HEK sounded bad...not at all and when I first listened to V2, I realised I love it very much. Then I compared it with Utopia and it hit me that its not the problem with HEK but rather with the Utopia. Utopia just sounded much more dynamic, resolving, bassy and brings vocal much more forward and realistic. That's when I knew why my HEK are getting so little play time from me to the extend that I'm not bothered to pick it up for the past month with my Utopia ownership...and no its not a new toy syndrome as I still put on my HD800S very often.

All in all its now a matter of principle. Too see the new price of V1 plummeted the way it is now showed that HEK are grossly overpriced, under built and run by a group of people with very little regards to its customers. Pushing out the V2 so soon and sting your loyal customers with high upgrade cost as well as price drop really sucks. You shot yourself on the foot with this one HFM and count me out as your loyal customer. In fact it hurts me to even want to send money their way but in have to say the new pads are so much more comfortable than that horrid V1 pads :rage:

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #43 of 154
Wow seth...and i was considering getting the upgrade today...................i'll hold off for now.

@Toolman i was wondering if the v2 upgrade is worth it, and like seth ill have to pay about 750$ total when you include shipping. Or should i just stick with v1, wait until v2 pads become available, and put that 750$ towards a utopia? Currently have the HEK and Abyss. Not sure how things will change once i get the Utopia, if ill keep all 3 or sell one off. If i get the HEK V2 my utopia purchase will be delayed for a bit though. Thoughts?

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #44 of 154
Abyss and Utopia seems to be an ideal totl pairing...I just might be heading that way as well :sunglasses:

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #45 of 154
tbh once I got my Utopia, my HEK became redundant because it don't add to what I already got from Utopia...plus that dang velvet pads are eating me alive. If I were to upgrade to V2, it will remain the same dire straits for me based on the couple of hours listening time with V2.

What Seth is going thru is just so unfortunate...for the total outlay one could get an Utopia and be done with.

Some said the $650 are probably what it cost HFM to manufacture the V2 anyway...I somewhat agreed and believed that it is so just like what they asked for the HM-901 to HM-901S upgrade. #sneaky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back