HIFIdiy's mini USB DAC MK2--Also a headphone amp!
Nov 13, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #362 of 377
I've been borrowing a set of HifiMan HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphone from a friend.  The sound I'm getting from the combo of the Aune Mini USB DAC Mk2 and the HE-500s is just scary good.  I did have to undo my output resistor change I made for my IEM's though otherwise they ran out of output voltage swing driving these 89dB efficient phones.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #363 of 377
I am thinking about getting this unit but I am confused about what power voltage it requires at the wall outlet  re.120v or 220v? My apartment has only 120v AC. Thanks for any input.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #364 of 377
Quote:
I am thinking about getting this unit but I am confused about what power voltage it requires at the wall outlet  re.120v or 220v? My apartment has only 120v AC. Thanks for any input.

When you buy it on ebay or wherever you can specify which voltage and plug you want.  You can get a US plug & voltage.

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #365 of 377
Thanks for the quick reply Stereodude

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #366 of 377
I am getting speakers soon and I am just wondering, can I have both my Speakers and Headphones connected at the same time?
It'd go RCA -> Speaker Amp -> Speakers while the headphones are still in.

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #367 of 377
Hente,

You can leave the headphones plugged in while using speakers. The volume knob on the Aune only controls the headphone volume not the line level rca outputs in the back.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #368 of 377
Has anyone had a chance to A/B this with the new Aune X1 Mini DAC?

It looks like the major differences are:
- Chassis
- Optical Input
- Variable or Fixed Analog Ouput
- Headphone Amp circuit
- Headphone Amp on a separate daughter board
- Soldered OpAmps (bad move)

I don't know enough about the different chips to know the positives or negatives to each, so can one of you knowledgeable guys give me a hand and let me know which will pair best with some Grado 225i (primary), UE TripleFi 10 (secondary), and ATH-A700s (future and subject to change)? USB and Win7 will be the primary input and used 95% of the time.

Here are the 4 I am looking at (2 are variations on the original MKII):
Store Link: X1 ($190) Specs: closeup circuit board shots
Store Link: MKII SE ($160)
Store Link: MKII SE ($124) Is this the same as the $160 version?
Ebay Link: MKII SE ($150) Is this the same as the other two MKII SE versions?

Are all 3 of the MKII SE versions the same?

Last question: Will a Dip 8 socket fit the circuit board for the X1? If so, I really don't have a problem desoldering 3 opamps to install sockets to make future opamp changes easier.

I like the looks of the X1 a lot better and I can live with desoldering a few chips, but I want to make sure I am choosing the one that will sound the best. Bottom line, is there a significant difference between the X1 and the MKII SE? If not I will choose the X1.

Thank you.

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #371 of 377
Hello again all,
I hope the below will save time and money for a few.

It does take a while to test every possible swapings in the little Aune.
My setup is as follow:
  1. Macbook pro latest SPDIF out, converted to Coax and fed into the Aune as such;
  2. Home made stabilized power source set at 18.00 Volts. It is based on a BIG toroidal transformer and the Velleman Kit K1823
  3. All cables are home made
  4. Grado Labs SR325is -THE BEST- headphones!
  5. Musics from HDTracks
  6. Of course the Aune USB DAC

For my comparisons, I listened to:
  1. (44.1KHz/16bits) Hans Zimmer, "Dies Mercurii I Martius". Around 4:40 and 5:08 there are some critical sounds that need careful handling by the OpAmp stages.
  2. (96KHz / 24bits) I Ching, Of The Marsh And The Moon, "The Three Rivers". Again just after 2:00, you should hear the string and cracks ot the Erhu (a bow instrument). This track is the one I had the most frustration with as a good amplifier will let you hear all defects to the point where it disturbs your pleasure... To much beauty kills beauty!

Anyhow, I have tried swapping in all possible combinations the Burr Brown OPA2107AP, the BB OPA2604AP, the 2134PA, the Burson Audio AOP V2 Double, and the twins BB OPA627BP on brown dog adaptor.

To me, and I know this is very personal, the best combination found so far for Precision vs 3D volume vs keeping the details to a level where they don't get in the way too much is:
  1. BB OPA2134AP (as U6, the buffer amp stage, located next to the headphone plug)
  2. twin OPA627BP on brown dog (as U8, the head phone Amp stage, behind the volume knob)

I am yet to find some real NE5534 or AD744 and test this OB + CA business...
/Vince.

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #372 of 377
Quote:
Has anyone had a chance to A/B this with the new Aune X1 Mini DAC?
It looks like the major differences are:
- Chassis
- Optical Input
- Variable or Fixed Analog Ouput
- Headphone Amp circuit
- Headphone Amp on a separate daughter board
- Soldered OpAmps (bad move)
I don't know enough about the different chips to know the positives or negatives to each, so can one of you knowledgeable guys give me a hand and let me know which will pair best with some Grado 225i (primary), UE TripleFi 10 (secondary), and ATH-A700s (future and subject to change)? USB and Win7 will be the primary input and used 95% of the time.
Here are the 4 I am looking at (2 are variations on the original MKII):
Store Link: X1 ($190) Specs: closeup circuit board shots
Store Link: MKII SE ($160)
Store Link: MKII SE ($124) Is this the same as the $160 version?
Ebay Link: MKII SE ($150) Is this the same as the other two MKII SE versions?
Are all 3 of the MKII SE versions the same?
Last question: Will a Dip 8 socket fit the circuit board for the X1? If so, I really don't have a problem desoldering 3 opamps to install sockets to make future opamp changes easier.
I like the looks of the X1 a lot better and I can live with desoldering a few chips, but I want to make sure I am choosing the one that will sound the best. Bottom line, is there a significant difference between the X1 and the MKII SE? If not I will choose the X1.
Thank you.

The $160 Mk II SE you have linked there is actually the Limited Edition, which supposedly is an improvement on the Mk II SE.  That's actually a pretty good price.  I looked at that one for a while, then went to a 2 box solution.

I'd be curious about the actual circuit differences between the Mk II SE and the new X1.

May 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #373 of 377
Hi,

i just ordered the Aune MKII and reading the forum. It seems AC adapter 15v 1A aren't so easy to find in my country. Is it ok to use a 15V adapter with 4A or 6A?
Newbie question probably but i am affraid to burn "my precious".

Thanks for your help.

Sennheiser HD600, Musical Fidelity V-Can, Cowon J3.

May 7, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #374 of 377
Do you have a Radio Shack in your country? If you do buy their regulated 15V, 1000mA power brick for 120 Vac input[273-1691] with the "M' Adapter tip[273-344],it will work for you. I use it myself with no problems and very good audio results.

May 8, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #375 of 377
None here, i am in France. But i saw on Ebay or amazon a :

POWERPAX - PI315-15

AC ADAPTOR, 15V, 1A DESKTOP * Output Current:1A * Output Voltage:15V * Power Rating:15W * External Width:49.8mm * External Depth:26.3mm * Approval Bodies:Cul, UL, PSE, TUV, GS, CCC, DOIR, C-Tick, CE, BSMI approved * Frequency Max:63Hz * Frequency Min:47Hz * Height:68.2mm * No. of Outputs:1 * Output Type:2.1mm DC Plug * Power Supply Type:Desktop External * Supply Voltage AC Max:264V * Supply Voltage AC Min:90V * Weight:135g
POWERPAX - PI315-15

If the output plug size is ok, i ll buy one. Still waiting the Aune (Coolfungadget track number doesn t work).

Edit : found  in a post that plug is 2.1 mm so i do the order :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back