HIFIdiy's mini USB DAC MK2--Also a headphone amp!
Oct 14, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #331 of 377
the Aune ships with quite a bass heavy (my own tastes and compared to the opamps i've rolled there) opamp in the headphone bit, though it may still be bass light in the broader spectrum of headphone amps - my old integrated did provide more bass via headphones.  The DAC section is significantly better than onboard sound and thrashes the Valab i had (again, my own tastes).  For the £106ish I paid for this one with the 'special edition' upgrades, it was very good value for money, and i like it alot.  Rolling opamps is a very cool and easy way to tweak the sound too
biggrin.gif

one thing!  the wallwart/adaptor  it comes with - in the UK it was a 12v affair - get rid of it, it's a pile of rubbish only good for knowing if the unit works, the Aune benefits clearly from being fed regulated 15v over 12v
smily_headphones1.gif
 (i tried 18v and heard no tangible improvements but i'm operating it at that anyway, as it is rated for it) the improvement is like an increase in volume (perhaps that's what it is, ha), as in a 'fuller' sound, especially in the bass region.  The Headphone Amp bit alone (using the analogue input) will run happily on a 9v input too - it's the DAC line out that seems to benefit from the increased voltage.

oh and it's lack of feet is annoying!  I used the foam inserts i removed from my sennheiser HD555 on the base of the Aune and they work great
biggrin.gif

I have a bunch more OPA in SOIC form factor ready to roll, just need to get the adaptors...

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #332 of 377

Can someone help with the DIY PSU? I have a unit that has arrived in DIY. What do I do next? Thanks
Quote:

Quote:
Mine came in the mail yesterday with a Tangya 12v, 2a power supply that has an input voltage of 180-220v. First thing I did was go to Radio Shack looking for the 15v power supply but all they had was a 12v, 1.5a model for like $27. So...I figured what the hell and tried the included Tangya power supply and it works fine, but I'm a little concerned about its build quality and whether I should even be using it.

You can try to get this if you want,

It is a dual PSU which outputs +9/-9V. I read from some Chinese forums this DAC is best driven by a dual PSU, and this PSU is designed by the same person/company who produces Mini USB DAC. Unfortunately, you can only buy the PSU kit instead of a fully assembled product. The kit should come with everything you need, including a R transformer and two mini XLR connectors that you can use to make a special dual voltage power cable. And you do need to modify the DAC to accommodate this PSU. But it shouldn't be hard, since you are going to only take some parts off the PCB and then solder the XLR connector on.
Try to contact ebay seller 'auneaudio', and ask for the PSU kit. Based on what I was told by their sales person, this PSU has been discontinued, but they do have several units left, which might have minor cosmetic defects. So if you are considering getting one, try to negotiate a good price - it should be around $50USD, world wide shipping included. You might get even better deal on the DAC and PSU bundle, I think.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #333 of 377

Can someone please please tell me the plug dimensions? I'm looking for a wallwart and need to know what is the size of the adapter plug. I don't have a stock Aune wallwart to size up thanks.
Quote:
Hey guys,

I found this cheap power supply 18V and 1 amp... 10$

only thing is its 2.5mm.... so probably need to get an adapter plug

BRAND NEW 18V 1A AC / DC Power ac adapter Power supply on eBay.ca (item 220443227886 end time 22-Apr-10 21:57:55 EDT)

BRAND NEW 20V 1A AC / DC Power ac adapter Power supply on eBay.ca (item 220443231298 end time 22-Apr-10 22:06:32 EDT)

Anyways my question is:

should i get the 20V or the 18V?

**btw i just ordered this amp on ebay
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for all the good feedback

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #335 of 377
Thank you for the help, it was very kind of you to help me out. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
The Aune takes a 2.1mm plug.

Quote:
Can someone please please tell me the plug dimensions? I'm looking for a wallwart and need to know what is the size of the adapter plug. I don't have a stock Aune wallwart to size up thanks.

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #336 of 377

hi guys im new here..

i would like to ask you all to help me with my setting..

i have a musiland monitor 02 DAC and a Aune Mini USB DAC(soon)...normally i connect my musiland monitor 02 using USB from a laptop to my swans m50w multimedia speakers.and since my friend is selling his Aune Mini USB DAC for a cheap price i thought i can use(COMBINE) it with my musiland monitor 02.

now the question is how to get the best audio quality setting those DAC ive seen in this forum that musiland have a better dac but the aune have a better AMP..

so please guys tell me how to set up my settings.

i was thinking of this = Laptop(USB)-->Musiland monitor 02 (rca out)---->Aune(rca in) and last RCA out to my speakers is that right..?

Thank You. 

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #337 of 377
Yes, you can connect the Musiland's RCA out to the Aune's RCA in. The Aune will then act as a headphone amplifier for the Musland DAC.

However, the RCA out on the Aune is only for the built in DAC. It will not pass along the signal from the Musiland, no matter which way you toggle the switches.

Combining the Aune with the Musiland Monitor should power your headphones better than just the Musiland by itself. But when using a DAC with powered speakers, it's generally best to just connect them directly with no extra amp in between. Powered speakers should already have their own pre-amp and power amp.

And welcome to Head-Fi!

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #338 of 377

Quote:
Yes, you can connect the Musiland's RCA out to the Aune's RCA in. The Aune will then act as a headphone amplifier for the Musland DAC.

However, the RCA out on the Aune is only for the built in DAC. It will not pass along the signal from the Musiland, no matter which way you toggle the switches.

Combining the Aune with the Musiland Monitor should power your headphones better than just the Musiland by itself. But when using a DAC with powered speakers, it's generally best to just connect them directly with no extra amp in between. Powered speakers should already have their own pre-amp and power amp.

And welcome to Head-Fi!

so what do u suggest ?? should i buy the aune?? which one will be better for powered speakers?? aune or musiland..? thx

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #339 of 377
I have never used the Musiland, and probably never will because it is for Windows only. My impression based on what others have said is that it is better than the Aune as a DAC. Between the two, I prefer the Aune since it has a better built in headphone amp, and it works without needing extra drivers.

But since you already have the Musiland working as a DAC, then there is no need to get the Aune for your speakers.

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #340 of 377
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and new to the headphone amp world.

I have just received 1 of this today. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260657900925&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_12952wt_1140

I m quite happy with the sounds .. just that i can hear a small "moving air" noise at the background constantly. even with the source unplugged. And with the volume (on the dac) turn down to zero.

Is it normal ? or i got myself a faulty unit

Please Advise 

thanks 

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #341 of 377
You might have a ground loop hum. Try plugging it into difference electrical sockets around your house and see if it improves.

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #342 of 377

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and new to the headphone amp world.

I have just received 1 of this today. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260657900925&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_12952wt_1140

I m quite happy with the sounds .. just that i can hear a small "moving air" noise at the background constantly. even with the source unplugged. And with the volume (on the dac) turn down to zero.

Is it normal ? or i got myself a faulty unit

Please Advise 

thanks 

You might have a ground loop hum. Try plugging it into difference electrical sockets around your house and see if it improves.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #343 of 377
Thanks for the advise.. yeah i tried a few power point still the same thing .... 

I don't mind doing a bit of DIY ... any suggestion of what i can do ? 

or i should just return it ?

cheers

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #344 of 377
This just arrived from another Head Fier but i'm having trouble setting it up. I got the sound to work in Foobar however I am not getting any Windows sounds, and i'm not getting anything from Chrome or MPC-HC either. Someone help me. ;_;

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #345 of 377
Glad it got to you so quickly!

Change your Windows default sound device:

Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio tab > Sound playback > set the default device to be "USB Audio Device"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back