HIFIdiy's mini USB DAC MK2--Also a headphone amp!
Jan 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #241 of 377
what are the opamps here for exactly? could I swap them for LT1028AC and AD797B?

the current version on ebay doesn't run on a SMPS?

what's the max on USB? 16/48?

hope someone can answer, thanks!

Jan 30, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #242 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are the opamps here for exactly? could I swap them for LT1028AC and AD797B?

the current version on ebay doesn't run on a SMPS?

One opamp is after the pcm1793 for a lowpass filter. Another is i guess for gain in the headphone amp section(followed by a transistor buffer). It comes with a linear unregulated wallwart. And yes, the usb is the standard pcm270x implementation. We do have schematic if interested.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #243 of 377
Well well, I must say... I'm at home tonight listening to my K271's off my HK AVR and it drives them with quite a bit more aplomb in the lower reaches. The background is pitch black and the high end seems a little less forward. It has been a while since I've had the AKGs home since they are always at work. Are the differences here mainly being the opamps? I know the Aune has plenty of power.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #244 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by milagu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well well, I must say... I'm at home tonight listening to my K271's off my HK AVR and it drives them with quite a bit more aplomb in the lower reaches. The background is pitch black and the high end seems a little less forward. It has been a while since I've had the AKGs home since they are always at work. Are the differences here mainly being the opamps? I know the Aune has plenty of power.

Yes, opamps have a big impact on the sound signature. And it's fun rolling them
beyersmile.png

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #245 of 377
Sounds like your AVR has a much warmer sound signature than the stock Aune. If you like that sound try rolling in a warmer opamp.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #246 of 377
I swapped the OPA2604 with dual AD744s today, boy does this unit really sing now!
beerchug.gif

Anyone tried swapping out the OPA2134 and replacing it with something like the OPA2107 or the OPA2111?
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #247 of 377
I had dual AD744s in the OPA2604's place before, devast posted that they would be better in place of the OPA2134.

I put the 2604 back and replaced the 2134 with the AD744. I have to admit I don't really hear a difference between the two positions.

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #248 of 377
I'd leave the dual AD744s in place of the OPA2604.

I'm thinking about replacing the OPA2134 with either the OPA2107 or OPA2111, just did a price check with an online supplier, both are dual opamps in a single package, each cost around 7-8x the price of the stock OPA2134!
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #249 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use Foobar to upsample to 32/192 and the Aune handles it fine, and although the difference is subtle i prefer this sound to ASIO, i hear more control in the treble.

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #250 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Foobar to upsample to 32/192 and the Aune handles it fine, and although the difference is subtle i prefer this sound to ASIO, i hear more control in the treble.

Always use bitperfect imo. The pcm1793 does oversampling anyway, upsampling is a lossy procedure. Also, the aune can not handle anything over 24bit and 96khz over spdif, and 24/48 over usb, so probably your windows mixer just downsamples it before sending it to the unit.... meaning you do two unnecessary steps that each modify the sound.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #252 of 377
Well, i finally got around to getting another power supply... found a 15V 1A regulated unit from Radioshack. It definitely seems smoother sounding and maybe a little punchier. Not to mention it looks a helllllll of a lot better and doesn't even get warm.

Next up..... amp rolling! The amp does seem a little edgy on some songs, so I think I would love it even more if I rolled it.

Where are you guys buying your op amps mainly? I've been searching and the ones mentioned in this thread seem pretty hard to find. I think I found the OPA2134 on Ebay from a CA seller for like $5 each /w free shipping. Haven't really found the AD744.

What would you guys recommend swapping to warm the unit up a bit? I'd like to maintain the detail but kind of take the edge off and maybe bump the lower end a bit. Not sure if that's too tall of an order! :p

Thanks!!

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #253 of 377
You can get opamps from mouser.com and digi-key.com. look for the dip-8 versions or else you will need an adapter.

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #254 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by francisdemarte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get opamps from mouser.com and digi-key.com. look for the dip-8 versions or else you will need an adapter.

Great, thanks! What are the differences between some of the chips? They have very slightly different model numbers:

OPA2107APG4 Texas Instruments Op Amps

and

OPA2107AP Texas Instruments Op Amps

I looked over their spec sheets and they seem IDENTICAL.

But on the 744s, there are some differences in specs (Input Offset Voltage)

Digi-Key - AD744JNZ-ND (Manufacturer - AD744JNZ)

and

Digi-Key - AD744KNZ-ND (Manufacturer - AD744KNZ)

There's actually more 744s listed on their site too.

I'm thinking of replacing the 2604 with dual 744s and possibly the 2134 with a 2107.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #255 of 377
Quote:

Originally Posted by devast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Always use bitperfect imo. The pcm1793 does oversampling anyway, upsampling is a lossy procedure. Also, the aune can not handle anything over 24bit and 96khz over spdif, and 24/48 over usb, so probably your windows mixer just downsamples it before sending it to the unit.... meaning you do two unnecessary steps that each modify the sound.

Ah, yes you're right about the USB thanks, thought that was a bit strange. Now i've compared them through my speakers it's obvious, the reduction in soundstage and air is very apparant, but i still prefer the upsampling through headphones where those losses aren't noticable but the reduction in glare is welcome.
I really need to get a laptop with a digital out.
According to the seller the DAC handles 24/192 though.

I've had the Aune a couple of months now so thought it was time to play with the op-amps, and had an OPA2107 and a Browndog single-to-dual adapter drop through the letter box.
First i swapped the OPA2134 with the 2107 as several people have suggested and hated the sound. I can see why some people prefer as it seems to tighten everything up and give better bass but to my ears everything sounded slow and sluggish, like the life had been sucked out of it. I tend to judge in terms of realism and balance than overall bass and treble, and this chip isn't for me.

So i put the 2134 back and nipped up to Maplins to get an NE5532 and 3 5534s. I swapped the OPA2604 for the NE5532 and heard a vast improvement, there was much more body and life to the music and more depth in to the soundstage. I then swapped the NE5532 for the Browndog with 5534s and noticed a slight further improvement.

The i put the 2604 back in so the Aune was back to standard and listened for a bit, nice sound but the NEs are a definate improvement with no drawbacks.
I then left the 2604 in and swapped the 2134 for the NE5532 and noticed a similar improvement in the body and soundstage, but this time with a very light distortion in loud passages, as if the amp was clipping. I then swapped the 2604 with the NE5534s (so i'm running the 5532 in the DAC and 5534s in the headphone amp) and this distortion became more apparant, and annoying.

Right, so i listen again to the original 2604 in the DAC and the 5532 in the amp, and the swap the 2604 for the amp's 2134 and felt the sound deteriorated. So for me at this stage the original 2604 sounds best in the DAC.

The 5534s sound best in the headphone amp but i'm curious to try the output bypass mod (remove pin 6 of the mono op-amp and short pin 5-6 of the socket), so i bend up pin 6 on one of the 5534s and carefully bend pin 5 across to fit pin 6's socket, just to see if it works, put the op-amp back in and... there's sound so it works. I have a listen to a couple of tracks i know and then swap the modded 5534 to the other channel and listen to the same tracks, just to see if i can get an impression of how the sound changes. I do this a couple of times and notice what i think is a slight improvement in the body of the sound from the modded 5534 but will need to verify this by modding both channels and comparing non-modded 5534s. However, i also notice a 'pop' on the modded channel when i switch the amp off so will need to sort this out if i want to go with the output bypass, and as i'm planning on listening to AD744s before i make any decisions there's no point me modding at this stage.

So i'm done testing for now and have decided on th 2604 and 5534s. I take the modded 5534 out of the Browndog and replace it with spare 5534 and... there's smoke! I obviously wasn't paying attention because i put the spare 5534 in the wrong way round... d'oh!
confused_face.gif

Question is, what else have i damaged? Can't see any obvious signs of damage to the board or components so chuck the 5532 back in (the right way round!!) and... *bang*! Something in the 5532 explodes and cracks the op amp.

What an idiot!

The DAC still works but now i'm without a headphone amp. Hopefully i'll work out what the damaged components are but it might already be time for a new headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back