HiFi Rose RS250 Network Streamer
Oct 3, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #33 of 104
It is indeed! No no, just the DAC. Maybe one day the clock...if I find a good deal.
But for the amp I'll keep using my Kenzie OG that I truly love :)

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #34 of 104
Also using the DAC for my 2 channel, so let's hope it was a long term investment haha

Oct 3, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #35 of 104
Also using the DAC for my 2 channel, so let's hope it was a long term investment haha
I'm afraid it would be difficult to resist getting all three of them once you are in dCS "ecosystem". :)
Happy listening!

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #36 of 104
8953ad8f3c6442a93189b37f8e47509941b6f48b_2_866x1000.jpeg

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #37 of 104
Thanks to the new(er) version I could buy this one at a nice discount. Saves me 450. The new RS250A will also come at a new price. In euros it's price will increase from 2200 to 2600, I am buying mine now for 1750. A good deal as I won't be using the dac part anyway.

I have a Qobuz subscription and an external HD with lots of HD flacs and also some dsd. I also have an SMSL streamer that would fit the bill, only I can't get Qobuz to work with it. I doesn't see the SMSL DLNA. So I used the built in chromecast of my android tv but that's a bad solution as it downsampled everything to 48kHz. It was a nice and cheaper option to get the feel for it, but this will be a much more mature platform I think.

Dec 29, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #38 of 104
Thanks to the new(er) version I could buy this one at a nice discount. Saves me 450. The new RS250A will also come at a new price. In euros it's price will increase from 2200 to 2600, I am buying mine now for 1750. A good deal as I won't be using the dac part anyway.

I have a Qobuz subscription and an external HD with lots of HD flacs and also some dsd. I also have an SMSL streamer that would fit the bill, only I can't get Qobuz to work with it. I doesn't see the SMSL DLNA. So I used the built in chromecast of my android tv but that's a bad solution as it downsampled everything to 48kHz. It was a nice and cheaper option to get the feel for it, but this will be a much more mature platform I think.
That's really a good price! I don't think the new 250A is any better as a transport.

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #39 of 104
Nope. Ever since I saw a review on YouTube by Jay Lee (Jay's iyagi) who is Korean himself, I knew I wanted one. I've seen streamers for years. Like the sooloos years ago. But Rose is not a glorified pc. It's the whole package. They specialize in GUI's.

I needed to spend some money to get it off my balance for this year. So this was an opportunity I didn't expect.

I also saw an ad for the RS150 used on the local ebay. That was the one I originally fell for. But after some consideration I noticed that the screen doesn't fill the whole front. And that the RS250 has all the same functionality I am going to use. And the true screen size is what you see. Wysiwyg so to speak. In a more compact case.
But when I saw the used RS150 for €3429 I was tempted (if anything, to avoid the 'what if' itch), the unit with the better akm4499 dac.

So, why not? 1750 and 3429 is a big difference. I could buy it but then I would have very little left. The RS250 is new and from a reputable shop with full warranty. The RS150 is from a guy with only a first name, sells a lot of audio gear but also running shoes (?), no adress but Google maps shows a shop (other shop; old photo?). Why the strange price? Is it damaged maybe? Why would someone sell it if it's this new hot item? The location is on a shopping street with 2 electronics stores across and 2 over but it's next to a massage parlor on the corner of a notorious red light district. All indicators that say 'risky business'. I don't take risk with my last €€. Someone in another thread said justly: don't deal with shady characters.

I'll probably get it this week.

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #40 of 104
Nope. Ever since I saw a review on YouTube by Jay Lee (Jay's iyagi) who is Korean himself, I knew I wanted one. I've seen streamers for years. Like the sooloos years ago. But Rose is not a glorified pc. It's the whole package. They specialize in GUI's.

I needed to spend some money to get it off my balance for this year. So this was an opportunity I didn't expect.

I also saw an ad for the RS150 used on the local ebay. That was the one I originally fell for. But after some consideration I noticed that the screen doesn't fill the whole front. And that the RS250 has all the same functionality I am going to use. And the true screen size is what you see. Wysiwyg so to speak. In a more compact case.
But when I saw the used RS150 for €3429 I was tempted (if anything, to avoid the 'what if' itch), the unit with the better akm4499 dac.

So, why not? 1750 and 3429 is a big difference. I could buy it but then I would have very little left. The RS250 is new and from a reputable shop with full warranty. The RS150 is from a guy with only a first name, sells a lot of audio gear but also running shoes (?), no adress but Google maps shows a shop (other shop; old photo?). Why the strange price? Is it damaged maybe? Why would someone sell it if it's this new hot item? The location is on a shopping street with 2 electronics stores across and 2 over but it's next to a massage parlor on the corner of a notorious red light district. All indicators that say 'risky business'. I don't take risk with my last €€. Someone in another thread said justly: don't deal with shady characters.

I'll probably get it this week.
I would go for RS250 too. RS150 is probably not better than RS250 when used as a streamer unless you need AES/EBU output. Definitely doesn't worth 2x the price if you don't use the DAC inside. BTW I considered Rose and Lumin but ultimately chose Rose for its screen and video capabilities.

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #41 of 104
Indeed the screen and video makes it a lot more versatile. And I can add an internal HD later and add a CD ripper/player

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #42 of 104
So I just hot it today. It's a pretty slick piece of gear. The GUI is great. Very well structured and logical. That makes it intuitive I haven't found the definitive spot yet and I need to reroit some cables but I got the external HD indexed (that took a while, 1.5tB) and Qobuz up and running. The app was easy too.

I only tried the internal dac with some high res and it sounds really clear. It's clearly an ESS sigma delta (ESS9038 Q2m) but pretty ok as a spare. It sounds better than the exact same one in my SMSL DP5. So far.

I hooked it up quick only rj45 in, HD and juice. I have to see where I put that SSD I've had lying around...

Jan 3, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #43 of 104
And the video part is great too. RoseTube makes it a lot more fun. And the versatility of this thing is amazing.

Making all the right connections in a cramped rack with cables that are stiff or too short is no fun though. And I thought I thought it out so well made big holes everywhere. It is quite the improvement over my old hard sharp glass rack. This is massive bamboo with all rounded soft edges. The speakers are my design and make too (not the big Genesis behind them, those are by Ernie Nudell and Paul McGowan).

IMG_20230104_025117.jpg

The Rose is exactly the same size as the Douk passive pre/VU-meter. A nice mix of old and new tech. If only the RS250 were black...

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #44 of 104
And the video part is great too. RoseTube makes it a lot more fun. And the versatility of this thing is amazing.

Making all the right connections in a cramped rack with cables that are stiff or too short is no fun though. And I thought I thought it out so well made big holes everywhere. It is quite the improvement over my old hard sharp glass rack. This is massive bamboo with all rounded soft edges. The speakers are my design and make too (not the big Genesis behind them, those are by Ernie Nudell and Paul McGowan).

IMG_20230104_025117.jpg
The Rose is exactly the same size as the Douk passive pre/VU-meter. A nice mix of old and new tech. If only the RS250 were black...
Nice pic!
The new RS250A has a black version which I would totally get if it was available for RS250 too.

Jan 5, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #45 of 104
So, busy with getting everything working. The HDMI from my Samsung BD is just long enough to reach all the way to my TV. My usb cable is an inch short. The coax has crossed the beams (ref Ghostbusters) and I noticed I can't use more than 1 output at a time. Weird decision. But... I got the toslink working. I listened to my Denafrips Ares with the RS250 and it sounded markably different.
Another edit: I have usb-in working. Now I do have multiple outputs.? It even works with DSF files (as it should) but not over toslink (toslink can't transport DSD). I don't use DOP because that doesn't sound as good as DSD, as it's simply cheating (DSD over PCM).

I noticed im not done with simply placing it on my audio rack. I ordered a longer USB A to B, a longer HDMI 2.1 8k cable an external USB CD/DVD slot-in burner drive (which is oddly, cheaper than the hdmi cable! ?). All I want to complete it is an SSD.

Question; any recommendations? I was thinking 2tB should be the sweetspot between price and usability over the long run. I understood it needs to be 7mm thick max. But I can choose either 2.5" or the laptop chocolat bar type? And not the cheap noname brands. Help appreciated.

Edit: I see I need the simple 2.5". Now I understand the screws... I found this video.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back