Hieroglyphics
Jul 25, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 50
Eyedea, Atmosphere

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 50
I personally think Del The Funky Homosapien's "No Need For Alarm" is a lost classic.

Jul 25, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle b
I personally think Del The Funky Homosapien's "No Need For Alarm" is a lost classic.

Agreed!! This hasn't left my car CD player in weeks.

What I've been listening to lately, in case this helps you:
Lyrics Born - Same !@# Different Day
Del - No Need for Alarm
Hiero - Full Circle

You could also try The Roots' older albums (Do You Want More?!!,Illadelph Halflife, Things Fall Apart), Blackalicious, the Quannum/Solesides compilation CDs. These are all based on my tastes, of course, but if you like hiero & J5, give them a try.

Jul 25, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 50
Ah, yes. I love Third Eye Vision, great CD.

As far as the current scene is concerned, my first and strongest recommendation is People Under the Stairs. O.S.T. is as chill as it gets, and Question in the Form of an Answer isn't far behind. Their beats are fantastic, lyrics and technique are very good as well.

Insight is probably my favorite solo artist today. His talents as MC/producer keep getting better and better. The Blast Radius is the best hip-hop album of 2004, imo.

EDIT: Album name correction. Boy, is my face red...

Jul 25, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 50
I smooth disappear cause I move with no fear
They say that fool isn't here, he's sipping brew on the pier

MMmmm, everyone say "REAL HIP HOP!" Eyedea's kinda angry compared to Hiero. I'd first suggest checking out the rest of the Hiero lineup and Del albums (tho Del gets repetitive to me). Also, Deltron 3030 which is a joining of Del, Kid Koala and Dan the Automator. Like Nanahachi said, I'd think Blackalicious is a good suggestion based on Hiero and J5. Maybe Diverse tho he's more poetic than rhyming based. Oh, one big name that must be mentioned: Aceyalone.

Jul 25, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 50
I'm in heaven - this reminds me a lot of the european hip hop scene I'm used to. Very chill and amazing and fresh beats.
O.S.T. is just an amazingly smooth album. Haven't had time to check out the lyrics in depth yet. Waiting for my new amp to get here and enjoy all this newly discovered music.
Keep them coming - love the reccomendations so far.

Jul 25, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 50
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife...

thats a classic

and if you like Heiro, Check out Souls Of Mischief 93' till Infinity

finally the underground hiphop head in me can actually be of use on these boards...

finally some people that arent anti- anything that isnt classical or jazz

Jul 25, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 50
IF you want smooth sounding hip hop get JayZ's first album and Camp-Lo's first album. Camp-Lo is all about the 70's, from their cultural references to the way they dress. Very smooth.

Lucchini has a sample that makes you wanna swerve when you are driving.

Jul 25, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 50
Foreign Exchange - Connected is currently getting a lot of playtime for me. I think it creates its own genre, "beautiful rap"
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLP
I smooth disappear cause I move with no fear
They say that fool isn't here, he's sipping brew on the pier

MMmmm, everyone say "REAL HIP HOP!" Eyedea's kinda angry compared to Hiero. I'd first suggest checking out the rest of the Hiero lineup and Del albums (tho Del gets repetitive to me). Also, Deltron 3030 which is a joining of Del, Kid Koala and Dan the Automator. Like Nanahachi said, I'd think Blackalicious is a good suggestion based on Hiero and J5. Maybe Diverse tho he's more poetic than rhyming based. Oh, one big name that must be mentioned: Aceyalone.

Yes, Aceyalone and Blackalicious. Try Haiku d'etat

Jul 25, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife...

thats a classic

and if you like Heiro, Check out Souls Of Mischief 93' till Infinity

finally the underground hiphop head in me can actually be of use on these boards...

finally some people that arent anti- anything that isnt classical or jazz

I second the 93' till album. How ablout Dr. Octagon or Kool Keith?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back