Hieroglyphics
Jul 29, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #31 of 50
Going further back...

My favorite hip-hop album of all time is T.I.M.E., by Leaders of the New School. It just gets everything completely right. The first two albums from Organized Konfusion are classic. Fu-Schnickens is an amazing and underrated group.

Will post some more later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by USER NAME:
Yes, Aceyalone and Blackalicious. Try Haiku d'etat

Hmmm, not a big fan of Haiku d'Etat. "Non Compos Mentis" is a great song and all, but the rest of the first album really didn't leave anything memorable behind. And, well, the second didn't fare any better.

Aceyalone's debut is an absolute classic and must-have, his sophomore effort is great, Accepted Eclectic is mediocre (the title track is it's only saving grace,) and Love & Hate is garbage.

Can't say anything bad about Blackalicious, they're a great group.

All imo, of course.

Jul 29, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #32 of 50
heh

how about del's solo stuff

deltron 3030 or whatever it was called, produced by automator.

That was one of the sickest albums, his raps are insane like meticulously layered and short verses building up into this crazy off tangent stuff. Anyone i ever let hear that album thought it was nuts.

I liked hieroglyphics, as far as other chill hophop guys, common, no id, digable planets, tribe before they got stupid (stuff like midnight marauders and low end theory etc...).

Not feeling guru, his rhyming style gets annoying and played out fast. He's psuedo gangsta anyhow. Same thing goes for talib kweli, he really was hyped up, and though its cool he got melson mandella on his album, i still think he sucked (though that album had good production).

Mos def is pretty cool, the man can act, has a great voice,a nd good rapper. Has alot of soul.

De La Soul, gotta love them, they always talk about long island hehe.

Jul 29, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
heh

That was one of the sickest albums, his raps are insane like meticulously layered and short verses building up into this crazy off tangent stuff. Anyone i ever let hear that album thought it was nuts.

wow -you brought back some memories, i need to pick up that album, i lost it a long time ago. His lyrical style is truly unique and to me has some really virtuoso-ish qualities to it. His rhymes actually have somewhat of a melody, in that he pitches his words specifically to actual notes to create pseudo-melodies that actually make sense from a harmonic standpoint. His sense of rhythm is spectacular, he incorporates this triplet feel especially on that virus song against the beat of 2 that you kind of just say "what, this can't be hi-hop." The man's good, to say the least.

Jul 29, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
Hmmm, not a big fan of Haiku d'Etat. "Non Compos Mentis" is a great song and all, but the rest of the first album really didn't leave anything memorable behind. And, well, the second didn't fare any better.

There were quite a few other tracks by them that are pretty hot, Especially "Top Qualified" and "Mike Aaron and Eddie".

Did anyone mention Dilated Peoples, Beat junkies, Visionaries or Cali Agents?

Jul 29, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg

Not feeling guru, his rhyming style gets annoying and played out fast. He's psuedo gangsta anyhow. Same thing goes for talib kweli, he really was hyped up, and though its cool he got melson mandella on his album, i still think he sucked (though that album had good production).

Yeah, I know what you're saying about Guru. His monotone flow gets annoying after a while.

Deltron 3030 is an amazing album. The 11-9 song/skit ratio is a pain to say the least, and a couple of the final songs aren't that great...but the rest of it is complete gold. It sure beats the living hell out of Dr. Octagon.

On Del in general: I actually think the best album he's done (including Deltron) is Future Development. Electra made a big mistake in dropping Del before it's release, especially since classic Third Eye Vision tracks "At the Helm" and "Oakland Blackouts" were originally recorded to be on FD. Despite it not really being in any record store that I know of, I definitely think it's worth going on the Hieroglyphics homepage and getting it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by USER NAME:
There were quite a few other tracks by them that are pretty hot, Especially "Top Qualified" and "Mike Aaron and Eddie".

Both from the 2nd album, both were very good tracks. I don't know, maybe it's just tracks like "Dogs" that leave a really bad taste in my mouth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
It seems like a guy from the hieroglyphics also is doing all the rapping for the gorillaz. Is that true or do they just sound similar?

I don't THINK he did anything on the new album, but he did have a part in the debut.

Oh, and I can't say how refreshing it is to be discussing current underground hip-hop without constantly reading about Def Jux artists.
icon10.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt

Oh, and I can't say how refreshing it is to be discussing current underground hip-hop without constantly reading about Def Jux artists.
icon10.gif

Wait, you mean theres more to underground hip-hop than El-P and Aesop Rock!?!?
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #43 of 50
check out the new album from - Oneself (VADIM, YARAH BRAVO, BLURUM13) - 'Children of Possibility' from Ninjatunes label. I'm going nuts over the single from the album right now 'bluebird.' Vadim's previous albums are IMO very good but may not fit your criteria. DJ Krush is also worth checking out, again may not fit what your exactly looking for, but worth checking out.
Another off topic mention is DJ Z-TRIP simply very righteous mixes http://www.gradri.hr/~dbukvic/vladow/ Enjoy...

Jul 29, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #45 of 50
Hey what's up!!Did you go to SAIC? Are you talking about the commencement speech he gave in '01. I graduated the previous year when we had Phillip Glass as our commencement speaker.
I.S.Pikelz are awesome!! ever get into Kid Koala? I really like the Stompin @the Savoir track from the Short Attention Span theater album. I got to see him live at a Detroit Electronic Music Fest a while ago, awesome show!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back