Hidizs MS5 - Impressions thread and review invitation
Mar 30, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #31 of 250
Same impression on separation, layering and imaging, they are quite comparable with U12T.

There is an emphasis on upper mids, but I don't feel any sibilance or harshness. I consider it as balanced as it doesnt sound dull nor too splashy on cymbals. But very unforgiving on poorly-master tracks. It really shows the artifacts and the clippings of the tracks.
The odd cymbal is gone with treble filter. When unleashing the full mid- and high-treble, the treble sounds kind of like Noble kublai khan. Surprisingly, not too sibilance or harsh.

Edit: comfort issues are gone after swapping cable.

Mar 30, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #33 of 250
Hidizs strongly suggested that they need more than 150 hours to fully break in.
I am following their instructions.
I’ll do the review sometimes next week. Daily drive them from now until then and see how it goes. So far so good.

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #34 of 250
5736D3BB-52D1-4837-86A8-609E06452EF7.jpeg

It’s here. I have just run through my test track playlist using the balanced nozzle and my spinfit cp145 tips.

First, the cons:
  • The ear hooks are too tight. My ears hurt after the session.
  • Cymbals and hi hats sound kind of uncanny. I suspect the energy is too high at 8kHz or 12kHz.
  • Sibilance with poorly mixed and mastered musics (e.g., Ed Sheeran’s Shivers)
Now, the pros:
  • Big, deep, but not muddy bass. I can feel the punch and rumble down to my throat. There is no odd “all rumble no punch” of Monarch II.
  • Large soundstage. Imagine is solid 4/5 with the last layer flung to the environment thanks to the treble extension.
  • The midrange has that open and transparent feeling that I get from my U12T, though warmer. Vocals and instruments besides cymbals and hi hats are natural and realistic. It does not sound “reference” but more fun, rule twisting, “audiophile” tuned.
  • Very extended treble. I think there is a 15kHz peak. Micro detail retrieval is quite high. Atmosphere, ambience, and room reflection sound is excellent.
  • Notes have good definition and have a snappy feeling to them. Separation is mostly good, but this IEM does not peel open the layers of music the same way as U12T (to put in context where it fits)
I hope that the bass nozzle can fix the uncanny cymbals and hi hats.

In general, very solid. I’m impressed.

No idea about pricing, but given the sound quality, I wouldn’t complain if this is the same price as the SA6 OG or the FH9. It is pushing the 4/5 but I don’t think it has broken into the 5/5 yet.
we share similar experience, swapping over to the bass nozzle does smooth things out a little, i am mainly using the bass nozzle, oh, and if you have moondrop Kato, the brass nozzle on the MS5 sounds pretty good as well.

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #35 of 250
Hidizs strongly suggested that they need more than 150 hours to fully break in.
I am following their instructions.
Yeap, it does get better after some burn in period, so i'm daily driving them as well.

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #36 of 250
we share similar experience, swapping over to the bass nozzle does smooth things out a little, i am mainly using the bass nozzle, oh, and if you have moondrop Kato, the brass nozzle on the MS5 sounds pretty good as well.
Nozels also interchangeable to the Simgot EA500

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #37 of 250
Mar 31, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #38 of 250
Mar 31, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #39 of 250
i actually use the treble nozzle now. A bit more detail, a bit more sparkle, but interestingly, not too harsh or sibilance. Easier listen than Final A4000 for sure. I am very much enjoying these as EDC complement to my U12T. It has the tech and stage that I crave, though not on the same level. The tech is higher than all recent IEMs coming through my review desk.

Edit: easier on the ears than EA Gaea as well.

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #40 of 250
i actually use the treble nozzle now. A bit more detail, a bit more sparkle, but interestingly, not too harsh or sibilance. Easier listen than Final A4000 for sure. I am very much enjoying these as EDC complement to my U12T. It has the tech and stage that I crave, though not on the same level. The tech is higher than all recent IEMs coming through my review desk.

I have yet to try the treble nozzle.l thought, let me try it out later. Haha, I guess our preference is quite similar, I find the A4K kinda hot as well, sold it off. Haha

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #41 of 250

Try the red nozzle of EA500 on MS5, its a bit similar to Gaea's tuning :)

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #42 of 250
Try the red nozzle of EA500 on MS5, its a bit similar to Gaea's tuning :)

Would it be possible for you to graph that? I can’t imagine it is possible, since these Hidizs have less upper mid, and the nozzles seem to change only the mid treble (8k ish). The Gaea is not very spicy at 8k, but very forward upper mid (10db, all the way from 1.5khz and never drop until 5k).

Very impressed by these IEMs’ resolution and staging, btw. All the cymbals oddity is pretty much gone at this point.

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #43 of 250
Would it be possible for you to graph that? I can’t imagine it is possible, since these Hidizs have less upper mid, and the nozzles seem to change only the mid treble (8k ish). The Gaea is not very spicy at 8k, but very forward upper mid (10db, all the way from 1.5khz and never drop until 5k).

Very impressed by these IEMs’ resolution and staging, btw. All the cymbals oddity is pretty much gone at this point.
Yeah, the MS5's upper mids are quite "safe" sounding to my ears..the respond very well with various ear-tips as well. I kinda like the bass nozzle with Tanchjim's APB bass tip.

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #44 of 250

I don't have an equipment for graphing. I vividly remember that Gaea is a bit harman-ish in my ears, tested them for an hour. I still have some notes on my obeservation about it.

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #45 of 250

Yeah, the MS5's upper mids are quite "safe" sounding to my ears..the respond very well with various ear-tips as well. I kinda like the bass nozzle with Tanchjim's APB bass tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back