Hidizs AP100 (DAP) Support Team - Now on Head-fi!
Sep 19, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #647 of 749

Does that mean im a first gen owner? is my unit not as good sounding as second gen :'(

Well, when I was choosing the DAP I read a lot of reviews regarding AP100 (first gen I guess) and no one was saying the sound was lacking . Even if 2nd gen is enhanced, the first is still one of the best in terms of performance per $. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #648 of 749
I have another question you guys might be able to answer:

why is there a coaxial INPUT? 
And regarding the coaxial output: a mini jack to coaxial-cable was delivered with my AP100, but since it only has 1 coax connection on the other side, i cant connect it to my receiver (Yamaha rs700) which has a left and right side for coax cables.
Is it even necessary to connect the player via coax output, or does the LO do the same job, soundquality-wise?

best regards,
Johannes

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #649 of 749

Does that mean im a first gen owner? is my unit not as good sounding as second gen :'(

I actually got two AP100 (one silver, one black, but irrelevant). The black (newer) one does not accept firmware images below 071 whereas the older one does (came originally with 069 firmware, currently on 070). So I guess the black one I got is 2nd gen. But I am not entirely sure if the other one is 1st gen because both players got the logo on the back.

In terms of sound quality there seem to be minor differences between different firmware versions. For 069 & 070 the treble seems to be slightly rolled off (in a good way) whereas 071+ seems to put more emphasis on treble (still fine, though, pairs well with NAD HP50).

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #650 of 749
Hi! I have a second gen AP100 (i guess so.. it came with leather cover, but it has the logo). I just updated it to 070 firmware. Do you think it's safe to update further? I mean... I am pretty sure it's a second gen, but if it is a first one may it be bricked by newer firmwares?

And more: is it worth updating above 070?

Thank you!!

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #651 of 749
Hi! I have a second gen AP100 (i guess so.. it came with leather cover, but it has the logo). I just updated it to 070 firmware. Do you think it's safe to update further? I mean... I am pretty sure it's a second gen, but if it is a first one may it be bricked by newer firmwares?

And more: is it worth updating above 070?

Thank you!!

Being worth or not all depends on your tastes. I prefered 073 to 070.
No you can't brick by firmwares.

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #652 of 749
Being worth or not all depends on your tastes. I prefered 073 to 070.
No you can't brick by firmwares.

thank you, maybe i will try. Unfortunately OTG DAC function of fw 070 will run only with the app that Hidisz reports in the txt "changelog" of the package, not with Spotify or others. I hope that 073 will be more compatible.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #655 of 749
  Does anyone know where to get the latest firmware for the AP100..it doesn't seem to be on the Hidizs website anymore except for the fw for the AP60.

I have all the firmware files in a Dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/izr1x46j4wxixig/AADU4fVc7wB3k7tDxB_c3Rjpa?dl=0

For 071 and 075beta I created some custom themes (Open Air, Concert Hall), see http://www.head-fi.org/t/740804/hidizs-ap100-dap-support-team-now-on-head-fi/525#post_12339951
They work but they seem to ask a lot from the CPU. I found that it even influences the sound quality. Anyway, the firmwares with the original themes are there as well.

The AP100V1.31073beta1-modified.zip has also custom theme but is not from myself, see http://www.head-fi.org/t/740804/hidizs-ap100-dap-support-team-now-on-head-fi/540#post_12364412

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #656 of 749

I have all the firmware files in a Dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/izr1x46j4wxixig/AADU4fVc7wB3k7tDxB_c3Rjpa?dl=0

For 071 and 075beta I created some custom themes (Open Air, Concert Hall), see http://www.head-fi.org/t/740804/hidizs-ap100-dap-support-team-now-on-head-fi/525#post_12339951
They work but they seem to ask a lot from the CPU. I found that it even influences the sound quality. Anyway, the firmwares with the original themes are there as well.

The AP100V1.31073beta1-modified.zip has also custom theme but is not from myself, see http://www.head-fi.org/t/740804/hidizs-ap100-dap-support-team-now-on-head-fi/540#post_12364412

Thanks very much!

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #657 of 749
Does anyone know why the user defined EQ (when set flat) sounds different to the "no EQ" setting (which should sound flat aswell, i guess)?
I tried to adjust the preamp to make them sound equal, but its impossible to match the user eq with the "no eq" setting.
The reason im asking is because in my opinion a flattened user eq sounds more neutral than the"no eq" setting (which has a tad more bass and a boost in the upper mids to treble).
Im runing the 0.73beta1 Firmware if anyone´s interested.

JeOo

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #658 of 749
  Does anyone know why the user defined EQ (when set flat) sounds different to the "no EQ" setting (which should sound flat aswell, i guess)?
I tried to adjust the preamp to make them sound equal, but its impossible to match the user eq with the "no eq" setting.
The reason im asking is because in my opinion a flattened user eq sounds more neutral than the"no eq" setting (which has a tad more bass and a boost in the upper mids to treble).
Im runing the 0.73beta1 Firmware if anyone´s interested.

JeOo

Totally know where yer coming from.

I think it's because the EQ is hardware based and possibly on a completely different chip, I too have found that the EQ off has what feels like a boosted bass, wider soundstage as well I think. I've customised all eight EQ bands to being what I want, I just look at the 'off EQ' as being a fixed preset I can't alter.

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #659 of 749
Normally i like listening to neutral and natural sounding music, but especially while switching directly from my last preset (which is set flat in my case) to "eq off", it is quite obvious that the latter one is all but neutral. Atleast in my opinion.
For some songs i like "eq off" aswell since it seems to be more detailed and airy/improves soundstage, but i guess atleast a big portion of this is due to the boosted uper mids and lower highs.
Another sq-related thing i noticed: Using the sample rate converter (even at the first two steps, which i liked the most) seems to make the overall sound less detailed.

I am happy some of you guys have noticed similiar things ..

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #660 of 749
  Normally i like listening to neutral and natural sounding music, but especially while switching directly from my last preset (which is set flat in my case) to "eq off", it is quite obvious that the latter one is all but neutral. Atleast in my opinion.
For some songs i like "eq off" aswell since it seems to be more detailed and airy/improves soundstage, but i guess atleast a big portion of this is due to the boosted uper mids and lower highs.
Another sq-related thing i noticed: Using the sample rate converter (even at the first two steps, which i liked the most) seems to make the overall sound less detailed.

I am happy some of you guys have noticed similiar things ..

I tried bass boosting the EQ, and indeed to get to a similar 'thumping' level it was quite a bit beyond flat, so i would definitely agree the off EQ is anything but flat. However, I have set up some of my EQ slots that when toggling between off EQ and other EQ settings the difference isn't as large and in fact depending upon what the AP100 is connected to (Car stereo vs PFE 232 IEMs) the difference can feel quite small and subtle.
I have really only tinkered with my AP100 EQ settings to produce a pattern of 'Flat > Bass Boost > Less Bass than Flat > Repeat' so that at a touch of a button (the dedicated EQ Button) I can toggle different amounts of Bass (and treble as sometimes I fine the treble can be harsh sounding). But I haven't quite mastered this, I need to sit down and play around with it a bit more.

I feel as tho the EQ off is nicest, due to the soundstage, which I find amplified somewhat when using the second last SRC mode (24bit 176.4hz, my preferred mode).

This is definitely a versatile sounding DAP, with EIGHT custom presets (as you can adjust Rock, Jazz as well etc), 5 SRC modes which impacts the overall sound, there is a plethora of combinations sure to suit different genres, equipment and user preferences.

What i would say tho is that where our opinions will differ is down to what the AP100 is connected to. Ultimately I tweaked my AP100 to my PFE232's as this is what 80% of the time it's connected to, however when I unplug the AP100 from the PFE232's and use in my suped up car stereo via line out, the experience is different than what I get with the 232's. If I use a 'bass reduction' eq mode for example, it feels quite pronounced with the 232's yet through the car stereo not so much (and yes FYI the EQ still toggles correctly via line out). So basically whilst we might find certain things in common, you have a different set of ears, different music/files and equipment so we'll likely deviate in findings eventually.

What I genuinely like the most is that when I tweak the EQ with the AP100 it doesn't bring hiss into play (nor that 6db drop in volume that other DAPs do), The tweaks feel more solid and somewhat less 'artificial' than compared other DAPs I have played with. Cowon for example, whilst offering a great array of sound settings, they do introduce hiss and can often feel 'softwareish' as in artificial sounding. The AP100 DOES feel like a pocket hifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back