HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Feb 27, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #3,242 of 3,438
This exact issue was my early symptoms with my unit before I sent it back for repair.
Yikes!! What was the issue? I read your posts and see the issue. I hope that's not the case. I'll listen tonight and see if I hear it again and can establish a pattern.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #3,243 of 3,438
Yikes!! What was the issue? I read your posts and see the issue. I hope that's not the case. I'll listen tonight and see if I hear it again and can establish a pattern.
It seems it was something about capacitors, this gives creedence to the fact that there are some unlucky ones with capacitors and not any heat-related issue. Is it a new model? Or an old one? Straight from hiby or from local seller?

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #3,244 of 3,438
It seems it was something about capacitors, this gives creedence to the fact that there are some unlucky ones with capacitors and not any heat-related issue. Is it a new model? Or an old one? Straight from hiby or from local seller?
It seems to be original stock. It's the suitcase version ordered from MusicTeck on Monday Feb 19th. It was new in box.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #3,245 of 3,438
It seems to be original stock. It's the suitcase version ordered from MusicTeck on Monday Feb 19th. It was new in box.
Would advice a fast and immediate unit swap since it's literally one week old.

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #3,246 of 3,438
I'm hoping someone might be able to help with this... I've been getting some slight crackling at the beginning (2-3 seconds) of some tracks but it doesn't happen all the time. It's in Tidal.
Anything to do with MQA?

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #3,247 of 3,438
Anything to do with MQA?
Good question. I'm going to play around with it tonight. I didn't think about it being related to format/Bitrate changes until today. The player is at home so I'm going to play around with it tonight and do some more troubleshooting.

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #3,248 of 3,438
It seems the initial build of the RS8 that came in the suitcase were problematic. I went through this thread and tallied up 13 hardware failures that required either a swap, or sent back for repair. The majority were the older suitcase versions. This seems pretty high to me. Even knowing that, I almost pulled the trigger on an out of warranty suitcase RS8, but it sold before I could send the money. I still think about getting one, but I bought a new RS6 instead.

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #3,249 of 3,438
It seems the initial build of the RS8 that came in the suitcase were problematic. I went through this thread and tallied up 13 hardware failures that required either a swap, or sent back for repair. The majority were the older suitcase versions. This seems pretty high to me. Even knowing that, I almost pulled the trigger on an out of warranty suitcase RS8, but it sold before I could send the money. I still think about getting one, but I bought a new RS6 instead.
Thanks for the info. I get that unhappy people tend to be the most vocal but you're right, there seems to be a trend here. That said, I'm not too worried about it. It's an amazing dap otherwise. I'm confident that if there is in fact an issue, Hiby and MusicTeck will take care of it.

Feb 27, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #3,250 of 3,438
Guys, I have the boxed version and the leather wrapped version. The serial number is from the new batches. There are clicks in Tidal when switching FLAC - > MQA. There is a slight click when switching tracks in the right chanel, yet it has been working fine for 1 year.

Feb 27, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #3,251 of 3,438
Guys, I have the boxed version and the leather wrapped version. The serial number is from the new batches. There are clicks in Tidal when switching FLAC - > MQA. There is a slight click when switching tracks in the right chanel, yet it has been working fine for 1 year.
Thanks for that info. I'm totally used to and fine with clicks. I get that is just part of how these things operate. This is a totally different issue. I'm getting several seconds of static/crackles at the start of some tracks.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #3,252 of 3,438
Thanks for that info. I'm totally used to and fine with clicks. I get that is just part of how these things operate. This is a totally different issue. I'm getting several seconds of static/crackles at the start of some tracks.
Go to Audio Settings and disable MQA renderer. Then try again. My money is on MQA unfolding.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #3,253 of 3,438
Go to Audio Settings and disable MQA renderer. Then try again. My money is on MQA unfolding.
GREAT idea! I know it's on/enabled right now. I'll add that to my troubleshooting steps. My only MQA music is in Tidal and could definitely explain it.

Are you or anyone else having/had the same issue?

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #3,254 of 3,438
GREAT idea! I know it's on/enabled right now. I'll add that to my troubleshooting steps. My only MQA music is in Tidal and could definitely explain it.

This problem crops up intermittently on HiBy DAPs. The sooner we get rid of MQA as a format, the better. Now that Tidal is moving away from MQA, I leave mine disabled on both RS8 and R8 II.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #3,255 of 3,438

I noticed in this week in particular that Tidal streaming has been kind of iffy, specially with it's windows desktop app, also if in your playlist you have many different tracks that are going to be in different formats, from lower res to higher res and then some MQA thrown in the mix, there might be some yank thrown in the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back