HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Feb 11, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #3,181 of 3,403
As far as I understand the brand new Darwin 2 filters are already implemented in the official Hiby R8 ii firmware. I don't want to sound paranoid, but it looks like this is to make R8 ii more attractive at the start of sales, because obviously Hiby RS8 with Darwin 2 also reaches a new level of sound, but reviewers compare RS8 with Darwin v1 and R8 ii with Darwin v2.

Nice trick, but I wish Darwin 2 was added to the official firmware of the flagship. Otherwise it looks like Apple is doing, artificially aging previous models.
Are Darwin II filters eventually meant to be implemented on the rs8, too?

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #3,182 of 3,403
Are Darwin II filters eventually meant to be implemented on the rs8, too?
I hope so
If you haven't manually installed them yet, I highly recommend doing so

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #3,183 of 3,403
Feb 11, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #3,184 of 3,403
Feb 11, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #3,185 of 3,403
As far as I understand the brand new Darwin 2 filters are already implemented in the official Hiby R8 ii firmware. I don't want to sound paranoid, but it looks like this is to make R8 ii more attractive at the start of sales, because obviously Hiby RS8 with Darwin 2 also reaches a new level of sound, but reviewers compare RS8 with Darwin v1 and R8 ii with Darwin v2.

Nice trick, but I wish Darwin 2 was added to the official firmware of the flagship. Otherwise it looks like Apple is doing, artificially aging previous models.
How is that a trick? Darwin 2.0 was released well before R8 II. I've been using it with my RS8 since the day it was released, and used it to review RS8 against R8 II. Any reviewer worth his salt would have done the same.

Feb 11, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #3,186 of 3,403
Any reviewer worth his salt would have done the same.
That's just your guess. As you can see above the person asked how to install it. And he's not even a reviewer, he's an owner. I'm just sure that Darwin 2 has been installed by 10% of owners. And if it was added to the official firmware, it would be installed by 90%+.

I know several owners among my entourage who have never heard of Darwin 2. They don't follow the forum, so how could they know about Darwin 2?

If it's not a trick, what's the problem with releasing firmware with Darwin 2? After all, they released it for another player that isn't even a flagship.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #3,187 of 3,403
That's just your guess. As you can see above the person asked how to install it. And he's not even a reviewer, he's an owner. I'm just sure that Darwin 2 has been installed by 10% of owners. And if it was added to the official firmware, it would be installed by 90%+.

If it's not a trick, what's the problem with releasing firmware with Darwin 2? After all, they released it for another player that isn't even a flagship.
I'm sure the updated RS8 FW will arrive in due course. And you specifically mentioned reviewers when you said trick, which is what I responded to. I'm sure many owners aren't even aware of Darwin V2, although if they cared to browse this thread and others, there's a good chance they'd have seen it mentioned. It's not so much a conspiracy as it is something HiBy still needs to implement in FW, because it's freely available to anyone who wants it.

PS. If it was available in FW it would be used by 100% of people who updated their FW 😉 You can't have V1 and V2 on the same device.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #3,189 of 3,403
Recommend you contact service@hiby.com with a copy of your messages here, including the serial number shown here.
Just received mine back from service, can confirm popping and crackling noise is now long gone. Finger cross it will not reappeared.
Hiby did not charge me a penny for this service even after my warranty is expired. Really appreciate their customer support services!

Btw, anyone here using rs8 LO to DSP for car entertainment source? What do you think about rs8 LO?

Feb 16, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #3,190 of 3,403
Just received mine back from service, can confirm popping and crackling noise is now long gone. Finger cross it will not reappeared.
Hiby did not charge me a penny for this service even after my warranty is expired. Really appreciate their customer support services!

Btw, anyone here using rs8 LO to DSP for car entertainment source? What do you think about rs8 LO?
Lucky you. I got charged, and died two weeks after repair.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #3,191 of 3,403
Hi everyone! Trying my new RS8 , but seeing a very very poor wifi connection, doing hotspot from my phone i have to be less than a meter from each other... i think this is not normal... as for router connection i have to be equal 1 to 2 meters max from the router to have a fair connection... anyone with the same problem do i have to send it back:sweat:

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 18.00.52.png

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #3,194 of 3,403
Using the RS8 in usb dac I have a delay on the audio when watching a video .. is there anyway to sync audio and image ?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #3,195 of 3,403

Users who are viewing this thread

Back