HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 25, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #3,076 of 3,403
Guys, heads-up just in case this applies to you: if you charge your player during playback - DON'T. It will increase heat and potentially damage sensitive components. Android 12 has a battery charge limiter if it detects excessive heat, though I'm not sure if RS8 implements this (I can confirm R8 II does). Doesn't matter which charger you use, if you charge during playback, you'll run into issues**.

**I'm not implying the component failure issues are the result of charging during playback. Just noting it here as something to keep in mind.
What if it's mounted on the CR08? Shouldn't that keep the RS8 from overheating while playing/charging?
Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Dec 25, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #3,077 of 3,403
What if it's mounted on the CR08? Shouldn't that keep the RS8 from overheating while playing/charging?
Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends
Possibly, but only if it's mounted naked to the heatsink with the fans on. I still wouldn't take the chance, although the CR08 design seems to lend itself to charging while playing.

Dec 25, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #3,078 of 3,403
Charging while playing does generate significantly more heat and degrade the battery, but it shouldn't damage the hardware unless lead free solder or low end electrical components were used.

I did have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 that used a lead free solder on the rom chip and it was destroyed from heat. Granted it was charging, navigating and listening to flac files in car during Arizona summer days.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #3,079 of 3,403
Since it is the sharing time of year, I thought I'd weigh in on my issues with the RS8. I bought this DAP when they first were released back in November 2022. Within one week, this unit died and the replacement also died in the same fashion. Apparently it was an issue with a faulty capacitor. My third RS8 began pulsing a loud, intermittent sound on my 4.4mm channel this past November 2023. Right now, it's at HiBy for repair under warranty (I'm assuming). During these failures, Andrew at MusicTeck has been stellar in his support - acting as a liason with HiBy. Otherwise, dealing with communicating and shipping between the US and China by myself would have been difficult. Hopefully, I'll have a fully functional RS8 back sometime in January.

Like others here, I'm really disappointed with the quality of this DAP. When it's working however, the musical and technical performance has been very good. It's this aspect of the RS8 that keeps me hopeful this most recent repair will be the last. Whenever my next DAP purchase comes around, I most likely will not consider HiBy again. I'm using my Sony WM1Z as a backup DAP currently. I'm reminded just how amazing the quality is of this Sony is. The little things, like how precise the side buttons work (my RS8 side buttons stick periodically) demonstrate the attention to detail from Sony. Also, if the Sony does fail, it's a much easier process to get it repaired.

Here's wishing everyone a great New Year in 2024.

Tim

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #3,080 of 3,403
It takes a lot of courage to buy it a third time after two fatalities. although I wouldn't have bought it even after the first one

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #3,081 of 3,403
I most likely will not consider HiBy again
Unfortunately I agree. I've owned an R3, R5, RS6, and now RS8. Loved them, but this is the end of the road. What makes it even worse right now is the quality control on the RS8 is so bad the used market price has collapsed. So no way out in terms of recouping $$$. Just gonna ride my RS8 until it's really dead.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #3,082 of 3,403
Since it is the sharing time of year, I thought I'd weigh in on my issues with the RS8. I bought this DAP when they first were released back in November 2022. Within one week, this unit died and the replacement also died in the same fashion. Apparently it was an issue with a faulty capacitor. My third RS8 began pulsing a loud, intermittent sound on my 4.4mm channel this past November 2023. Right now, it's at HiBy for repair under warranty (I'm assuming). During these failures, Andrew at MusicTeck has been stellar in his support - acting as a liason with HiBy. Otherwise, dealing with communicating and shipping between the US and China by myself would have been difficult. Hopefully, I'll have a fully functional RS8 back sometime in January.

Like others here, I'm really disappointed with the quality of this DAP. When it's working however, the musical and technical performance has been very good. It's this aspect of the RS8 that keeps me hopeful this most recent repair will be the last. Whenever my next DAP purchase comes around, I most likely will not consider HiBy again. I'm using my Sony WM1Z as a backup DAP currently. I'm reminded just how amazing the quality is of this Sony is. The little things, like how precise the side buttons work (my RS8 side buttons stick periodically) demonstrate the attention to detail from Sony. Also, if the Sony does fail, it's a much easier process to get it repaired.

Here's wishing everyone a great New Year in 2024.

Tim
sony from me has been HORRIBLE with headphone warranty, bought in-store a pair of their bluetooth ANC headphones and the headband frictiom broke off not even after a year and they didnt honour the warranty because they said it was ''stress related''. I fixed it with some plastic strips and heavy duty tape. Ugly but functional.
so to me sony=scam.
Having said that, i had an issue with an rs8 having one small pixel on, i bought it at zococity and they exchanged it with a new unit in a single week. Support is based on where you purchase, and this is why i NEVER purchase unless it comes straight from someone who offers support nearby.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #3,083 of 3,403
Unfortunately I agree. I've owned an R3, R5, RS6, and now RS8. Loved them, but this is the end of the road. What makes it even worse right now is the quality control on the RS8 is so bad the used market price has collapsed. So no way out in terms of recouping $$$. Just gonna ride my RS8 until it's really dead.
i think lots of people think a unit with local warranty can go for the same as those who have maker's warranty. if a new unit is just a week and an email away, great, if i need a hope voyage to the other side of the planet, i'd gladly eat the 50% more for peace of mind.
I never purchase second hand if warranty is some garbage ''bought from the maker'' deal.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #3,084 of 3,403
It takes a lot of courage to buy it a third time after two fatalities. although I wouldn't have bought it even after the first one
I only bought the RS8 once. Two of them were replacements.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #3,085 of 3,403
i think lots of people think a unit with local warranty can go for the same as those who have maker's warranty. if a new unit is just a week and an email away, great, if i need a hope voyage to the other side of the planet, i'd gladly eat the 50% more for peace of mind.
I never purchase second hand if warranty is some garbage ''bought from the maker'' deal.
That may be all well and good, but - at least in my case - I don't have a choice between buying local and buying via email. If I had to buy decent quality audio electronics local, I'd be relegated to Sony - that multi-billion dollar scam company.

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #3,086 of 3,403
That may be all well and good, but - at least in my case - I don't have a choice between buying local and buying via email. If I had to buy decent quality audio electronics local, I'd be relegated to Sony - that multi-billion dollar scam company.
harsh not having other choices

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #3,087 of 3,403
I’ve haven’t had issues with my RS8 aside from 3rd party plugins. Listening 2-6 hrs a day since launch. 🤷 I have not charged and listened at the same time except for an initial 200 hr. stage, trying to run in the amps. 🤞

Edit:
I am not on the latest FW (forgot to mention)

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #3,088 of 3,403
Dec 25, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #3,089 of 3,403
I’ve haven’t had issues with my RS8 aside from 3rd party plugins. Listening 2-6 hrs a day since launch. 🤷 I have not charged and listened at the same time except for an initial 200 hr. stage, trying to run in the amps. 🤞

Edit:
I am not on the latest FW (forgot to mention)
Same here, solid as a rock for me, and still amond the best DAPs money can buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back