HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Jun 27, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #2,446 of 3,404
Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #2,447 of 3,404
I was working on one for everything but everything seems to be too much of a moving target for me to ever document in detail. That or something like OCD and ADHD are making everything I write turn into noodles :D

If I were HiBy I’d get a temp from Upwork and couple him/her with ChatGPT.

Amazing hardware and software, it’s frustrating to think there might be stuff we don’t know exists -)

Speaking of stuff.. is there a playback speed adjustment anywhere? Some tracks sound much better at half speed

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #2,448 of 3,404
Anyone find streaming Tidal with UAPP sounds significantly better on the N8ii compared to the Tidal app? I didn't notice it with previous IEMs, but with the Jewel, the difference is night and day.
So yesterday night I read this over at the "competition". Immediately tried it out with my RS8 - don't know if it's placebo but - I think Tidal with UAPP does sound better too on the RS8.

The only thing I noticed - but I guess that will be fixed anyways soon - as long as internal (RS8) MQA is active, songs played in really high quality (96KHz, 1600 Kbs) tend to bring the RS8 partially to its limit in terms of realtime decoding. I noticed short "slowdowns" while audio replay and slight cracking noises.
For now, I can live with it by deactivating RS8's MQA decoder.

Did you try out too? What's your impression?

Jun 28, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #2,449 of 3,404
I've received my end game dap, after buying P6pro, wm1am2, N8ii, Lp6 and long term loan of wm1zm2, sp3000, I know for certain RS8 is the only dap I was able to get lost in my music using my favourite iem, dita ppt.

I just Hiby sells the Hiby R8 case and suitcase as stand alone item. I thought thr suitcase which came with R8 was far more functional to what comes with RS8. R8 suitcase has slot for 4 iems or 3 iems ans one USB cable.
R8 LEATHER case had this lovely mesh number 8 logo, which a much more ideal all around case.

Jun 28, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #2,450 of 3,404
Not this issue, but my knob turns unevenly. There's a region that feels extra loose and a region that feels like metal on metal grit. It's annoying, especially for a player of this level, but it's functional and the player sounds great, so I haven't pursued an exchange. Hoping the gritty feel will smooth out with use.

Incidentally, can confirm Atrium and VC are great on RS8. Just a couple tracks into the latter today, but VC is a killer match!

20221206_103456.jpg
Hey, just curious if you found any fix for this issue?

Jun 28, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #2,451 of 3,404
Are you using MacOS?

From my very limited understanding and use of RS8 as a DAC with MacOS and Windows, it's not an issue with RS8 but limitation of your operating system and DoP. MacOS can not play DSD natively but only via DoP (DSD over PCM where the DSD is transported to the DAC in a PCM container, but is recognized by your DAC as native DSD and played as such) limiting it to half of the maximum DSD value of your DAC. MacOS is limited to DSD256 and Windows/Linux with ASIO driver goes up to DSD512.

The easiest thing to do is convert DSD512 to DSD256 :grimacing:

Hope this helps.

finally...

emailed hiby and they gave a solution! it was just sitting right there years ago! LOL

downloaded and installed this:
USB DAC driver: https://store.hiby.com/apps/help-center#driver

opened audrivana, and swapped WASAPI to ASIO in the settings. voila!

enjoy our music while we can!! :L3000::L3000::L3000:

RS8 01.png

RS8 02.png

Jun 28, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #2,452 of 3,404
I've received my end game dap, after buying P6pro, wm1am2, N8ii, Lp6 and long term loan of wm1zm2, sp3000, I know for certain RS8 is the only dap I was able to get lost in my music using my favourite iem, dita ppt.
Wow impressive set of DAPs and great IEM, I’m jealous! I’m specially curious to read what you would you say is clearly nicer on the RS8 versus the P6 Pro or even the Sony which also has a more R2R sound signature? Thanks

Jun 28, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #2,453 of 3,404
Wow impressive set of DAPs and great IEM, I’m jealous! I’m specially curious to read what you would you say is clearly nicer on the RS8 versus the P6 Pro or even the Sony which also has a more R2R sound signature? Thanks
I'll post my impressions soon but bear in mind, dap impressions are highly iem independent.

Jun 28, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #2,455 of 3,404
I'll post my impressions soon but bear in mind, dap impressions are highly iem independent.
Yes I know but I thought you had tried all of them with the marvellous Dita PPT?

Jun 28, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #2,456 of 3,404
finally...

emailed hiby and they gave a solution! it was just sitting right there years ago! LOL

downloaded and installed this:
USB DAC driver: https://store.hiby.com/apps/help-center#driver

opened audrivana, and swapped WASAPI to ASIO in the settings. voila!

enjoy our music while we can!! :L3000::L3000::L3000:

Huzzah!!!

Great to hear you're all set... I forget to remind Windows users to download the ASIO USB DAC driver 🤭

Jun 29, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #2,457 of 3,404
Hi everybody,

I had a problem with UAPP on a new RS8.
C7989F62-1605-473E-93C7-82578CAEB0C9_1_102_a.jpeg

I wrote to the UAPP support, but they replied that I did not have a license for Google services on my device. WHAT?! How is this possible? Why do other people run this application without problems on RS8?

I checked deep sleep mode, there is no problem there. This is the first time I see such a problem. Before that, I successfully used the UAPP on Fiio M17 and Hiby RS6.

Someone faced similar?

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #2,458 of 3,404
Hi everybody,

I had a problem with UAPP on a new RS8.
C7989F62-1605-473E-93C7-82578CAEB0C9_1_102_a.jpeg

I wrote to the UAPP support, but they replied that I did not have a license for Google services on my device. WHAT?! How is this possible? Why do other people run this application without problems on RS8?

I checked deep sleep mode, there is no problem there. This is the first time I see such a problem. Before that, I successfully used the UAPP on Fiio M17 and Hiby RS6.

Someone faced similar?
Have you installed the latest Google Play Store and Play Services on your RS8?

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #2,459 of 3,404
Have you installed the latest Google Play Store and Play Services on your RS8?
Yes, Google Play is updated
Not sure how to check and update Play Services

upd: I found out this. Yes, Play Services are updated

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #2,460 of 3,404
Yes, Google Play is updated
Not sure how to check and update Play Services

upd: I found out this. Yes, Play Services are updated
As long as you're signed in to Google Play there should be no issues. You may have to try uninstall and reinstall Google Play but that gets complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back