HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 9, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #1,306 of 3,403
What are those?
I assume emulation settings for the various famous audio circuits. Probably apply's a euphonic sound profile that emulate's the DAC chips, studio console, and Tube/Vinyl profiles. Effects to apply to your listening enjoyment.

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #1,309 of 3,403
Its a $3,299.00 music player whatever features it has it will still be a niche product. I would be very surprised if they sell too many more than 500 units worldwide.
Well I was interested when RS8 first came out, but once I had a chance to demo, the treble alone killed my interest fast.

If somehow I can get a more balanced sound profile I don't mind to pay for price for it.
At least I will have 2 or more sound sig for my choice, and probably justify the weight as well.

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #1,311 of 3,403
My RS8 has brightened up since brand new. It's been such a gradual change I did not notice until I got the Sony 1ZM2. The RS6 takes a more obvious performance metamorphosis.

The SP2000 and Hugo 2 / Mojo are rarely used these days. TT2/M-Scaler or RS8 is how I prefer my evenings.

I think the Sony is going to get mated to the gold GS-X mini for a while. I am at 70 on high gain and it just doesn't have the muscle. By chance they are the same color :)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #1,312 of 3,403
My RS8 has brightened up since brand new. It's been such a gradual change I did not notice until I got the Sony 1ZM2. The RS6 takes a more obvious performance metamorphosis.

The SP2000 and Hugo 2 / Mojo are rarely used these days. TT2/M-Scaler or RS8 is how I prefer my evenings.

I think the Sony is going to get mated to the gold GS-X mini for a while. I am at 70 on high gain and it just doesn't have the muscle. By chance they are the same color :)
Maybe your 1zm2 has to go to the gym....

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #1,313 of 3,403
Maybe your 1zm2 has to go to the gym....
I think my particular one has been too much of a couch potato. It sounds pretty good with the Fourte Blanc though :)

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #1,314 of 3,403
Well I was interested when RS8 first came out, but once I had a chance to demo, the treble alone killed my interest fast.

If somehow I can get a more balanced sound profile I don't mind to pay for price for it.
At least I will have 2 or more sound sig for my choice, and probably justify the weight as well.
What's wrong with the treble? My RS8 has more than enough and it's presented in a beautyfully musical way!

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #1,315 of 3,403
What's wrong with the treble? My RS8 has more than enough and it's presented in a beautyfully musical way!
Yes absolutely! Right now I think it is the dap to beat.

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #1,316 of 3,403

If you want more sparkle in treble, RS8 is not it since this DAP was tuned to have a very natural organic tonality. But the latest fw update did introduce some tuning improvements in treble response, still keeping it natural and also adding a little more crunch to the top end.

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #1,317 of 3,403
Did it fail the first time you tried playing the VE Phonix on the RS8? (i.e. were you plugging in the Phonix to the unit and playing them for the first time on the RS8 when this happened?

Are these earphones functioning with other players at the moment?

Do you have a multimeter? Can you try measuring the DC resistance across the various pins on your earphones?
I had been playing the Phonix on the RS8 for four days, when the first unit failed.

I had been playing the Phonix on my Sony WM1Z right up to using them with the RS8. I'm now back to playing the Phonix on the Sony - with no problems.

I do have a number of multimeters. I'll give that measurement a go, but I doubt - given the above - that there's a problem with the Phonix.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If you think of anything else, please let me know. It's a head scratcher.

Tim

Dec 9, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #1,318 of 3,403
If you want more sparkle in treble, RS8 is not it since this DAP was tuned to have a very natural organic tonality. But the latest fw update did introduce some tuning improvements in treble response, still keeping it natural and also adding a little more crunch to the top end.
Except for the streaming services, have you noted any other problems with the latest firmware?
I can sit on 1.02 since it does everything I need it to do and going to 1.04, other than curiosity about the treble, would not benefit me.
I guess I just wait for 1.05?

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #1,319 of 3,403
Except for the streaming services, have you noted any other problems with the latest firmware?
I can sit on 1.02 since it does everything I need it to do and going to 1.04, other than curiosity about the treble, would not benefit me.
I guess I just wait for 1.05?

Yes, I have been in contact with Hiby and asked them to send me 1.05 (or whatever the number is) before the official release so I can quickly test it with all streaming services. I have seen this with other DAP manufacturers as well, streaming app gets updated and no longer works with a DAP until new fw issued to fix the compatibility. That could be frustrating, with fw 1.04 Amazon Music HD doesn't work, but fix should be available soon, from what I have been told. I don't see any issues with Tidal or Qobuz. Another bug I found, after fresh reboot HibyMusic responds to hardware playback buttons without a problem.. But once you open other streaming apps and then close them, and go back to HibyMusic, it no longer responds to play/pause and skip until you reboot RS8. That should be an easy fix as well.

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #1,320 of 3,403
Well, guess it means R2R sound sig is not my cup of tea.
At least it s something good for my remaining kidney...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back